Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,174 posts in this topic

Another example of an armed American to stop a crime.

Police: Mom with gun ends abduction attempt in West Virginia

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Police-Mom-with-gun-ends-abduction-attempt-in-West-Virginia-507996361.html

https://www.thehour.com/news/crime/article/Man-accused-of-trying-to-abduct-child-from-W-Va-13734650.php

According to a criminal complaint, a woman was shopping with her 5-year-old daughter at the Huntington Mall in Barboursville when a man grabbed the girl by the hair and tried to pull her away. Police say the mother pulled out a gun and told the suspect to let go of the child. The man released the child and was later detained by mall security and Barboursville police near a food court.

The left rather had said mother to be unarmed and helpless.

House votes to reauthorize VAWA

in a rejection of the NRA's claim that guns keep women safe

As the Violence Against Women Act now heads to the Senate, it’s more important than ever to debunk misperceptions about intimate partner violence.

"..... When thinking about firearms and intimate partner violence, at least two things are at play — fear and risk ........

a great majority of the incidents involving a gun were male-on-female. Also, fear was far more common when a gun was (versus was not) used. Such fear shows good judgment.

Guns and male intimates figure prominently in the murder of women. For the past 40 years, FBI homicide data document that women are more than twice as likely to be shot and killed by a male intimate than shot, stabbed, strangled, beaten to death, or killed in any other way by a stranger.

The “vicious male predators” referenced by NRA surrogates and Shannon Goessling are, in reality, current and former boyfriends and husbands with guns.....

What we do know is that, generally speaking, guns have not protected women from abusers nearly as often as they have been used by abusers.

The Violence Against Women Act helps protect women in a variety of ways, including making it harder for abusive partners and stalkers to obtain a gun. ......

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/house-reauthorizes-vawa-rejection-nra-s-claim-guns-keep-women-ncna991141?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

:blink: Why are THEY tax-exempt?

=======================================

The HillVerified account @thehill 2h2 hours ago

Gun control group files complaint over NRA's tax-exempt status

...."We call on the IRS to commence an investigation into whether (i) the NRA has violated the federal laws governing 501(c)(4) charitable organizations, and (ii) if so, consider what remedies are warranted, including potential revocation of the NRA’s 501(c)(4) status."

Everytown filed the complaint following an article in The New Yorker on Wednesday that claimed that "a small group of N.R.A. executives, contractors, and venders has extracted hundreds of millions of dollars from the nonprofit’s budget, through gratuitous payments, sweetheart deals, and opaque financial arrangements."

“The litany of red flags is just extraordinary,”.....

http://hill.cm/4Nhxh55 

D4ns42fWkAEnI6p.jpg

Recently I was on YouTube looking at old Primetime TV lineups for the networks from the late 50s to the early 60s.

Nearly half of the shows started with someone shooting a gun either at the audience or another person or worse than that--

just shooting who knows what or at knows where.

There was a plethora of westerns that even I did not remember. And the detective, police shows excetera were the same.

There seems to be something extremely endemic in the American culture or I should say the cultural history of this country that's simply is entwined with guns-- particularly guns and a man's personal identity.

The First shows like these that I remember were Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel and The Rifleman. I guess they were so successful that the rest of them follow suit, opening with all this Firepower.

In some ways you're going to have to investigate the background of this sort of culture in order to understand it better before you can ameliorate it.

Sam Peckinpah didn't create violence with The Rifleman or the Wild Bunch, but he certainly knew how to exploit it to make money in a culture that craved it.

Happiness is a warm gun.... Bang bang shoot shoot...

"When I hold you in my arms (oh, yeah)
And I feel my finger on your trigger (oh, yeah)
I know nobody can do me no harm (oh, yeah)"

Danny HakimVerified account @dannyhakim

Oliver North, president of @NRA, is seeking to oust Wayne LaPierre, it CEO, in widening crisis at the gun group.

Oliver North, @NRA president, has also created a special committee of the NRA board to investigate

"allegations of financial improprieties" that he said were laid out in @nytimes, @WSJ and @NewYorker.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Yesterday evening, I was forced to confront one of those defining choices — styled, in the parlance of extortionists — as an offer I couldn’t refuse,” @NRA president Wayne LaPierre wrote last night in letter to NRA board.

“I refused it.”

===========================

-Trouble in Paradise?? :o  :lol:

Maura HealeyVerified account @MassAGO

#BREAKING In a defeat for the gun lobby and a victory for families everywhere,

the First Circuit has upheld the Massachusetts assault weapons ban.

Once again, the courts have agreed that the people of our state have the right to protect themselves by banning these deadly weapons.

D5HIgJSX4AISobx.jpg

Amee Vanderpool @girlsreallyrule 5h5 hours ago

NRA implosion update:

1. LaPierre writes letter to board claiming Oliver North tried to blackmail him

2. NRA sues, saying North double-dipped

3. North says NRA could lose non-profit status for mismanagement

4. North resigns

5. NRA suspends its top lawyer

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nra-suspends-top-lawyer-while-oliver-north-warns-group-could-lose-nonprofit-status?via=twitter_page

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Amy Siskind 🏳️‍🌈Verified account @Amy_Siskind 7h7 hours ago

Oh how sad, the @NRA is imploding.

Send your thoughts and prayers.

giphy.gif

Did she feel the same towards activist that cried when the Courts upheld the Travel Ban?

No because she doesn't understand that these rulings don't relate to if such public policies are sound policies or not,  but only if they are constitutional or not. 

Aurora: AR-15

Sandy Hook: AR-15

San Bernardino: AR-15

Orlando: AR-15

Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Las Vegas: AR-15

Parkland: AR-15

Pittsburgh: AR-15

Poway: AR-15

There’s a clear trend of shooters using these weapons of war to attack public spaces and yet the GOP turns a blind eye.

<_<

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Aurora: AR-15

Sandy Hook: AR-15

San Bernardino: AR-15

Orlando: AR-15

Sutherland Springs: AR-15

Las Vegas: AR-15

Parkland: AR-15

Pittsburgh: AR-15

Poway: AR-15

There’s a clear trend of shooters using these weapons of war to attack public spaces and yet the GOP turns a blind eye.

<_<

The GOP is just doing what the citizens that elected them want them to do.   Note that last week a Federal court upheld MA's assault weapon ban.     

Stop complaining and work in your state to elect politicians that will impose such a ban in that state.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

The GOP is just doing what the citizens that elected them want them to do.   Note that last week a Federal court upheld MA's assault weapon ban.     

Stop complaining and work in your state to elect politicians that will impose such a ban in that state.

I am.....but assault ban HAS to be nation-wide, or it won't work

14 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

The Evolution of Wayne LaPierre

"....widely regarded as the man who made the NRA the powerful lobbying organization it is today, and his tough, no-compromise stance on gun issues — including calling for armed security in every American school in the wake of the 2012 Newtown shooting — has helped the organization’s membership swell to what it claims is nearly 5 million people.

But LaPierre wasn’t always a gun enthusiast............

And the hardline, no-apologies approach that LaPierre is now known for wasn’t always his M.O. – rather, it was a lesson learned the hard way in his early battles during the Clinton administration.........

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-evolution-of-wayne-lapierre/?utm_source=FBPAGE&amp;utm_medium=social&amp;utm_term=20190430&amp;utm_content=2280812142&amp;utm_campaign=Frontline&amp;linkId=66763928&amp;fbclid=IwAR3OszGShy1IHruadhoEcTXJaJFc_eCZtjxnOeeqykbhaxPc9RpH1Ljxebs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

I am.....but assault ban HAS to be nation-wide, or it won't work

The odds are very low that such a ban would be passed by a Senate that doesn't have around 55 Dem Senators.

Since one only has a say on who their state Senators are,   pushing for a nationwide ban is folly.

just ANOTHER school shooting.....Ho-Hum.....  :(

At least 7 people injured, 2 suspects in custody after shooting at Colorado STEM school

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said they responded to the STEM School Highlands Ranch and the situation was still "active and unstable."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/least-2-people-injured-colorado-stem-school-after-shooting-reported-n1003001

America always had guns, what has changed during the past few decades?  What are our kids being taught at home and in our government atheist controlled schools. What is the average child EXPOSED to.

Tired of guns being made the excuse / scapegoat instead of the breakup of the traditional  nuclear family (divorce is always the answer) and moral rot.  Spare the rod, spoil the child upbringing.  No REAL consequences for bad behaviour from toddler to teenage.

Schools shootings were RARE before the 1980's going back to the 1800's (and no one blamed the gun during that 100+ year time period)

Oh lets hear from the liberals / progressives typical belief in that God can be left out of the equation.

parents+arguing+over+child.jpg