Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,451 posts in this topic

NRAVerified account @NRA

"This time she claims the NRA is afraid of a mom. There's just one problem with Watts' assertion.

She's not just a mom. She's not just a community activist. She's Michael Bloomberg's personal lobbyist whose main goal is to disarm other women and moms." – @eb454

==================================

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 11h11 hours ago

I’m a fulltime volunteer. I make zero dollars.

Unlike Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox, I’m not a registered lobbyist.

Mike Bloomberg is one of 350,000+ donors.

And that’s what you don’t get, @NRA - I am just a mom. And that’s why I’ll never stop exposing your deadly agenda.

Happiness is a warm gun (bang bang shoot shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun, mama (bang bang shoot shoot)
When I hold you in my arms (oh, yeah)
And I feel my finger on your trigger (oh, yeah)
I know nobody can do me no harm (oh, yeah)
Because, (happiness) is a warm gun, mama (bang bang shoot shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun, yes it is (bang bang shoot shoot)
Happiness is a warm, yes it is, gun
Happiness (bang bang shoot shoot)
Well don't you know that happiness (happiness) is a warm gun, (is a warm gun, yeah).

Students who tackle shooters die as heroes. Some experts worry 'we're setting our kids up to be martyrs.'

"We're asking children to make executive decisions, life-and-death decisions: Do we attack or not? Do we run or do we lock down?" one safety expert said.

"......psychologists fear it's indicative of a growing pressure that American schoolchildren feel to neutralize threats at their schools — an unfair expectation that they say sometimes puts students in danger where it may not already have existed.

They say the feeling of needing to fight back stems primarily from an active shooter response protocol embraced by many schools and workplaces called "Run, hide, fight," which encourages those in the path of an armed intruder to flee or hide by doing things like using furniture to barricade doors, and as a last resort, to attack the assailant.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/students-who-tackle-shooters-die-heroes-some-experts-worry-we-n1003951?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Students who tackle shooters die as heroes. Some experts worry 'we're setting our kids up to be martyrs.'

"We're asking children to make executive decisions, life-and-death decisions: Do we attack or not? Do we run or do we lock down?" one safety expert said.

"......psychologists fear it's indicative of a growing pressure that American schoolchildren feel to neutralize threats at their schools — an unfair expectation that they say sometimes puts students in danger where it may not already have existed.

They say the feeling of needing to fight back stems primarily from an active shooter response protocol embraced by many schools and workplaces called "Run, hide, fight," which encourages those in the path of an armed intruder to flee or hide by doing things like using furniture to barricade doors, and as a last resort, to attack the assailant.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/students-who-tackle-shooters-die-heroes-some-experts-worry-we-n1003951?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

The British....

run-hide-tell_0.gif?itok=MzVuNAxg

AND THAT"S ALL!

No guns, knives, clubs, fist just be...

f9v08pi_jellyfish-generic_625x300_07_Jan

As Leaks Show Lavish NRA Spending, Former Staff Detail Poor Conditions At Nonprofit

"...prompted board member Allen West to speak out. On Tuesday he announced that he had previously called for LaPierre's resignation and argued that "it is imperative that the NRA cleans its own house." A second NRA board member followed suit on his Facebook page by writing, "it is time for new management."

These developments, combined with a cascade of stories about other incidents of runaway spending at the gun rights organization, especially rankled former rank-and-file NRA employees.

They told NPR about low wages, pension problems and a culture of fear within the organization that treated ordinary staff very differently than its leadership.

Especially upsetting was the disclosure of these enormous costs despite one fact acknowledged in documents obtained by NPR: The company has underfunded pensions affecting hundreds of former and current employees — even as LaPierre made $1.4 million in 2017, according to the group's most recent financial disclosures.

"I can think of no other non-profit organization that compensates their Executive Vice President the kind of salary and benefits that Mr. LaPierre gets relative to how much employees receive," wrote former 13-year NRA employee Andy Lander in an open letter that has circulated widely throughout the gun-rights community.

Lander added, "I also cannot understand how a person like Mr. LaPierre treats the people that work for him like his own personal indentured servants,.."..........

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/722960414/as-leaks-show-lavish-nra-spending-former-staff-detail-poor-conditions-at-nonprof?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

:rolleyes:

Beto O’Rourke: Here’s how I'd stop gun violence [Opinion]

"........ We cannot accept that this is an act of God or that Americans are fated to be inherently violent. This is a human-caused problem with a human solution. ....

First, universal background checks without exceptions. Close the boyfriend loophole, the Charleston loophole, the gun show loophole, the online loophole — no more loopholes and no more excuses for refusing to close them. ....

Second, stop selling assault weapons that were designed, engineered, and sold to the United States military for the express purpose of killing people as effectively, as efficiently, in as great a number as possible. .......

Third, let's adopt red flag laws — not one city or one state at a time, but for this entire country. .....

Fourth, we must treat this crisis with the urgency it deserves. We must demand bold solutions and ensure ambitious plans are on the table and part of the discussion. We will also fully invest in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and research into gun violence so we can not only continue to understand what’s happening but begin to address it. ........

And finally, let’s make sure that in addition to mass shootings at schools, places of worship, and concerts, we also acknowledge that we are losing far too many people one or two at a time in communities of color. ....."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Beto-O-Rourke-Here-s-how-I-d-stop-gun-13854698.php?utm_campaign=sftwitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

On 5/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, mr6666 said:

Beto O’Rourke: Here’s how I'd stop gun violence [Opinion]

Second, stop selling assault weapons that were designed, engineered, and sold to the United States military for the express purpose of killing people as effectively, as efficiently, in as great a number as possible. .......

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Beto-O-Rourke-Here-s-how-I-d-stop-gun-13854698.php?utm_campaign=sftwitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

I don't disagree with anything O'Rourke says here, but to be clear it is assault type weapons that can easily be converted to full automatic that need banning.  Also, the myriad of other, more lethal weapons such as grenades, rocket launchers, etc. Technically "assault weapons that were designed, engineered, and sold to the United States military" are already banned from civilian ownership.  This also includes similar weapons from foreign countries, war souvenirs unless "deactivated", etc. 

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

He didn't shoot anybody, did he?

Hope some Samurai swordsman don't lose his marbles.

gDOTMn9.gif?1

34 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Man screamed ‘I will kill you’ then stabbed schoolgirls at bus stop in Japan

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/28/man-screamed-will-kill-stabbed-schoolgirls-bus-stop-japan-9699995/

SEC_69899504.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

Isn't it nice the strictest of gun control has stopped the threat towards children. 

The number of people that you can kill with automatic weapons is vastly superior to what happened in this particular  sad incident.

I should remind you about the Las Vegas shooting.

And the truly sad thing about guns is that people who are not meant to even be targets of the Assassin are often inadvertently murdered as well.

AGAIN

12 Dead After Virginia Beach Employee Opens Fire at Work, Police Say

Cops stopped 40-year-old DeWayne Craddock after a ferocious gun battle that saw police empty all their ammunition.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/police-multiple-injuries-in-shooting-at-virginia-beach-courthouse

=====================================================

Chris MurphyVerified account @ChrisMurphyCT 19h19 hours ago

150 - days in 2019

150 - mass shootings

2,876,775 - thoughts and prayers tweets from cowardly public leaders

93 - days that the Republican controlled Senate has refused to hold a vote on the House-passed background checks bill

-_- 

How will any bill prevent an otherwise normal person suddenly going postal without warning. 

HANDLING-DISGRUNTLED-EMPLOYEES-AND-KEEPI

NBC NewsVerified account @NBCNews 17h17 hours ago

“We are seeing the normalization of mass murder in our country,” Sen. Cory Booker said at the California Democratic Convention on Saturday.

Booker stood out from the crowded 2020 field as the only candidate to address the Virginia Beach shooting head-on.

===========================================

The HillVerified account @thehill 27m27 minutes ago

Trump makes unannounced stop at Virginia church to pray for shooting victims

http://hill.cm/D59ZQ0p

"......Trump walked on stage at the church wearing khaki pants and a jacket over his polo shirt and holding a golf hat. He stood alongside pastor David Platt, who noted that there had been calls from Christian leaders

to pray for the president on Sunday.

"We don’t want to do that just on this Sunday," Platt said. "We want to do that continually, day in and day out. So I want to ask us to bow our heads together now and pray for our president.”

The pastor went on to offer a prayer

for the president and other political leaders........"

<_<