Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,366 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Moms Demand ActionVerified account @MomsDemand 9h9 hours ago

Today on National Gun Violence Awareness Day, Americans from coast to coast are wearing orange to honor victims and survivors of gun violence,

and to call attention to this crisis that takes 100 lives and injures hundreds more every single day. #WearOrange

D8dQpaCXsAA8OVF.jpg

This will create a major clothing problem in S.C.  Orange is the color for Clemson University and it is worn by lots and lots of people.  Many of whom are pro-gun and very anti gun restrictions.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

This will create a major clothing problem in S.C.  Orange is the color for Clemson University and it is worn by lots and lots of people.  Many of whom are pro-gun and very anti gun restrictions.

I'm looking forward to state elections in pro-guns states to see if recent events will really impact how voters in these states vote;   E.g.  is a 'good' NRA rating still a badge of honor in these these states or is it now a badge of shame?    

Like so many issues national polling suggest that a politician must be for so called 'reasonable' gun-control,  but national polling has been 'off' as it relates to how people in red-states vote.   

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm looking forward to state elections in pro-guns states to see if recent events will really impact how voters in these states vote;   E.g.  is a 'good' NRA rating still a badge of honor in these these states or is it now a badge of shame?    

Like so many issues national polling suggest that a politician must be for so called 'reasonable' gun-control,  but national polling has been 'off' as it relates to how people in red-states vote.   

I don't expect any movement in the red states.  Nor do I really expect any significant progress in Congress.  There may be a few more that would tend to support some restrictions on guns, but not enough to actually enact any regulations.

13 hours ago, hamradio said:

Will he be protesting?

tumblr_pidzetq5Aj1si3r8e_1280.jpg

I'll take a guess that you thought you just found a random picture of someone wearing orange. Maybe going for a prisoner?

Do you know who's in the picture, what it's from, and the odd message that you may unintentionally be sending by posting it?

EDIT: Since it's been 13 hours and you haven't responded, I'll explain.

The picture you posted is of Hilary Swank (a "she", not a "he") from the film Boys Don't Cry. The movie is based on a true story, and Swank played a woman who masqueraded as a guy named Brandon Teena. She was later raped, and then murdered...with a gun. So you may gather why your use of that particular picture would raise some questions about your intent in using it. As I said, I don't think it was intentional on your part, but if so, feel free to correct me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'll take a guess that you thought you just found a random picture of someone wearing orange. Maybe going for a prisoner?

Do you know who's in the picture, what it's from, and the odd message that you may unintentionally be sending by posting it?

EDIT: Since it's been 13 hours and you haven't responded, I'll explain.

The picture you posted is of Hilary Swank (a "she", not a "he") from the film Boys Don't Cry. The movie is based on a true story, and Swank played a woman who masqueraded as a guy named Brandon Teena. She was later raped, and then murdered...with a gun. So you may gather why your use of that particular picture would raise some questions about your intent in using it. As I said, I don't think it was intentional on your part, but if so, feel free to correct me.

I thought people protesting were wearing orange. :wacko:

PS  Board Members DO NOT have to reply!

If you type "orange jumpsuit prison" into Google Images it is one of the first results. I really do not think there was any ill intent from Ham. 

• Thanks 1

Like to add many of our children die due to gang and street violence. No gun law will prevent a gang banger from illegally obtaining one.  Anyone thinking more laws / restrictions will cut down on this problem is kidding themselves 7 ways to Sunday.  Criminals will always find a way to obtain a gun.

"What is the purpose of laws?

The law serves many purposes and functions in society.
Four principal purposes and functions are establishing standards,
maintaining order, resolving disputes,
and protecting liberties and rights.

The law is a guidepost for minimally acceptable behavior in society."

A gun manufacturer in S.C., Ellett Brothers, a subsidiary of United Sporting of Deleware, is declaring bankruptcy due to declining sales.  Gee, they are really missing the boom of the Obama years.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

A gun manufacturer in S.C., Ellett Brothers, a subsidiary of United Sporting of Deleware, is declaring bankruptcy due to declining sales.  Gee, they are really missing the boom of the Obama years.

Did you mean to say Obama?    In another post about Kelly Ann Conway you also used 'Obama'.    

Did you mean to say "Trump" in both cases?

Anyhow,  I'm surprised;  sales have been way up here in CA since we passed additional gun control laws;  sales typically increase prior to implementation of additional restrictions.   

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did you mean to say Obama?    In another post about Kelly Ann Conway you also used 'Obama'.    

Did you mean to say "Trump" in both cases?

Anyhow,  I'm surprised;  sales have been way up here in CA since we passed additional gun control laws;  sales typically increase prior to implementation of additional restrictions.   

No, I meant to say Obama.  The gun nuts were so afraid that Obama would stop the selling of guns, they were buying them as fast as they could.  They also purchased lots and lots and lots of ammunition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

POLITICOVerified account @politico 1h1 hour ago

Rep. Eric Swalwell: It is time to ban and buy back every single assault weapon

— making sure first and foremost no more assault weapons are manufactured in the future

but also with a plan to buy back the 15 million that are in circulation in our communities today

https://politi.co/2IPDKW3

At least Swalwell is open and honest here:    he really does wish to take your guns.    (but hey,  at least he believes the government should reimburse these consumers).

9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

The HillVerified account @thehill 5h5 hours ago

Rep. @EricSwalwell: "Gun ownership is a right but it is a right that comes with responsibilities,

and just like you get a permit in many places to hunt and in every state to drive,

we think you need a license if you're going to buy a firearm."

I would like to see polling data related to gun-control in the states Trump beat Clinton by < 2%.   (i.e. the battleground states):    How much has the view towards gun rights and gun control moved to the left (if at all).

I assume the Dem candidate will run on implementing additional Federal gun control laws.    I can't recall if Hillary ever said anything about that when she was running.   

7 hours ago, mr6666 said:

POLITICOVerified account @politico 1h1 hour ago

Rep. Eric Swalwell: It is time to ban and buy back every single assault weapon

— making sure first and foremost no more assault weapons are manufactured in the future

but also with a plan to buy back the 15 million that are in circulation in our communities today

https://politi.co/2IPDKW3

I assume this little sheet Schiff wannabe is excluding our armed forces.

:huh:

12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I assume this little sheet Schiff wannabe is excluding our armed forces.

:huh:

Of course (and you knew that already!!!).

Instead you should respect that Swalwell is being open about taking away guns and at least compensating consumers for their cost. 

If this is what a majority of Americans want,  and they vote for Senators that also support this,  then this should be implemented.    That is called democracy.   

Lauren McGaughyVerified account @lmcgaughy

NEW: #NRA celebrates 'highly successful' year in Texas as new #gun bills signed into law. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/06/17/nra-celebrates-highly-successful-year-texas-new-gun-bills-signed-law  #txlege cc @RafaelAnchia @MomsDemand @TSRA_outreach

=======================================

Shannon WattsVerified account @shannonrwatts 8h8 hours ago

Oh please. All the @NRA cares about in Texas is permitless carry, and they failed to pass it AGAIN.

But imagine bragging about loosening gun laws a day after a man legally possessing a semiautomatic rifle,

extended magazines and tactical gear

attempted a mass shooting in Dallas.

32 minutes ago, jakeem said:

"The National Rifle Association has shut down production at NRATV."

Dana Loesch on monitors at an NRATV booth last year. The N.R.A. has ceased production of live content on NRATV because of concern over its broadcasting arm’s financial costs and right-wing talking points.

30 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Andrew Weinstein Retweeted Tim Mak

Thoughts and prayers.

"A man may be hot

But he's not when he's shot

Oh you can't get a man with a gun."

Irving Berlin

• Like 1