Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,107 posts in this topic

Doubt it.

Could just be a pr ploy to look good and then just let

the issue fade away over time with no changes. We'll see

when the NRA gives their GOP pols their marching orders.

• Like 2

Could just be a pr ploy to look good and then just let the issue fade away over time with no changes.

Yep. Just give it a couple weeks.

Could just be a pr ploy to look good and then just let

the issue fade away over time with no changes. We'll see

when the NRA gives their GOP pols their marching orders.

NRA gave the GOPers in Congress permission to let a gun regulation bill come to the floor after Sandy Hook.  Then, they forced the GOPers to vote against it.  Pure PR.

Real test is whether or not Congress will pass the pending bill permitting elimination of regulations on silencers.

Incidentally, we need to take a lesson from the GOPers on euphemisms.  Call them dangerous firearm limitations or gun safety regulations or life saving gun regulations; NOT gun control.  Because it is not gun control.

• Like 1

NRA gave the GOPers in Congress permission to let a gun regulation bill come to the floor after Sandy Hook.  Then, they forced the GOPers to vote against it.  Pure PR.

Real test is whether or not Congress will pass the pending bill permitting elimination of regulations on silencers.

Incidentally, we need to take a lesson from the GOPers on euphemisms.  Call them dangerous firearm limitations or gun safety regulations or life saving gun regulations; NOT gun control.  Because it is not gun control.

I don't know if it's possible to change from gun control, as that phrase has

been around so long. Some people use common sense regulations and

most Americans support them, but they're probably not very high on the

list of important issues absent the latest mass shooting. 

"National Rifle Association Executive Director Chris Cox provided a lukewarm endorsement of a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives-led review of bump stocks on Sunday, but he insisted that more regulations would not stop attacks.

Cox appeared on "Fox News Sunday" and said that access to guns and modification devices isn’t the problem — instead the issue is with the individual......

Cox said he did not endorse a ban of bump stocks, only expanded regulation of the devices.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nra-chief-claims-gun-control-will-not-stop-attacks-after-n808856

<_<

Wayne LaPierre stated on one of the talk shows that NRA is opposed to any "laws" regulating guns.  It should be done by presidential executive order or presidential instructions to BATF.  This includes bump stocks.

Soooooo basically here, the "jackazz"(as he constantly referred to the Vegas mass killer) in THIS video's point was that the "jackazz" in Vegas wasn't using the "perfect weapon" of choice in order to elicit his maximum number of casualties! And, because a gunman can not hit a target nearly as well with a bump stock-modified AR-15 as they can with a REAL combat designed M16.

Weeeell, isn't that "interesting".

Oh, AND of course, the "jackazz" in this video ALSO ended his little "teachable moment" with that tired old BUT oh so "reasonable" sounding cliche that SO damn many gun "enthusiasts" and the NRA always spout, that being that "ANY gun control measures which might be presented have the ultimate goal of totally disarming the American populace". Something which ONCE AGAIN is nothing but OUT AND OUT HORSE CRAP!!!!

(...but gee, I'm sure glad I watched that "jackazz"'s little video, 'cause NOW I'll know why the next "jackazz" who'll kill scores of my fellow citizens with a LEGALLY modified AR-15 isn't just crazy, but is ALSO a "jackazz" prone to use the wrong "tool" for his "job-at-hand")

• Like 1

Soooooo basically here, the "jackazz"(as he constantly referred to the Vegas mass killer) in THIS video's point was that the "jackazz" in Vegas wasn't using the "perfect weapon" of choice in order to elicit his maximum number of casualties! And, because a gunman can not hit a target nearly as well with a bump stock-modified AR-15 as they can with a REAL combat designed M16.

Weeeell, isn't that "interesting".

Oh, AND of course, the "jackazz" in this video ALSO ended his little "teachable moment" with that tired old BUT oh so "reasonable" sounding cliche that SO damn many gun "enthusiasts" always spout, that being that "ANY gun control measures which might be presented have the ultimate goal of totally disarming the American populace". Something which ONCE AGAIN is nothing but OUT AND OUT HORSE CRAP!!!!

(...but gee, I'm sure glad I watched that "jackazz"'s little video, 'cause NOW I'll know why the next "jackazz" who'll kill scores of my fellow citizens with a LEGALLY modified AR-15 isn't just crazy, but is ALSO a "jackazz" prone to use the wrong "tool" for his job)

The fact many of those for gun-control mentioned Australia and their law,  that did grant the government the power to confiscate guns,  is a legit reason for gun-owners to be concerned gun-control advocates are for disarming the American populace. 

Ok not 'totally' which was extremist rhetoric on your part  but still for America any confiscation of guns is an extreme policy given our history.   

for America any confiscation of guns is an extreme policy given our history.   

All handguns and assault weapons should be made illegal and confiscated.

Only single-shot long guns for hunting (and possibly home defense) should be permitted to be owned.

The fact many of those for gun-control mentioned Australia and their law,  that did grant the government the power to confiscate guns,  is a legit reason for gun-owners to be concerned gun-control advocates are for disarming the American populace. 

Ok not 'totally' which was extremist rhetoric on your part  but still for America any confiscation of guns is an extreme policy given our history.   

WAIT one minute here, James! Did you just say "extremist rhetoric on MY part" here???

Guess you haven't heard this VERY same thought coming from the gun lobby for YEARS now, eh?!

(...that's okay though...I understand how you always attempt to sound so reasonable around here and wish to give the impression to others of your general evenhanded-ness...but in THIS case you seem to have turned a deaf ear to the OBVIOUS...yep, the OBVIOUS!!!!)

• Like 2

WAIT one minute here, James! Did you just say "extremist rhetoric on MY part" here???

Guess you haven't heard this VERY same thought coming from the gun lobby for YEARS now, eh?!

(...that's okay though...I understand how you always attempt to sound so reasonable around here and wish to give the impression to others of your general evenhanded-ness...but in THIS case you seem to have turned a deaf ear to the OBVIOUS...yep, the OBVIOUS!!!!)

The vast majority of activist groups use extreme rhetoric.     That is their bread and butter.  

I stand corrected since you used 'totally' to imitate the extreme rhetoric used by groups like the NRA related to the fear of TOTAL confiscation of ALL firearms.

Here is the solution, if you currently own a semi automatic, AR 15, etc., etc., or want to own one you must join what states should be set up as your particular state's "well regulated militia" something altogether different than a State's National Guard, and must come out of your compounds, bunkers, rat holes and wood work and attend mandatory militia meetings where your fellow responsible gun owners and fellow militia members can evaluate your mental competency.

edit insertion> This evaluation can be along the lines of say the way a Blade Runner ferrets out replicants. lol.

<end insertion

It would be a good way to identify the wing nuts.

You can have your cake (guns) and eat it (shoot them at legitimate targets) too, no?

If you don't comply the militia can get a chance to use their arms in a totally legal exercise (it would be great training) or they will send a drone strike after your a$$.  B)

Here is the solution, if you currently own a semi automatic, AR 15, etc., etc., or want to own one you must join what states should be set up as your particular state's "well regulated militia" something altogether different than a State's National Guard, and must come out of your compounds, bunkers, rat holes and wood work and attend mandatory militia meetings where your fellow responsible gun owners and fellow militia members can evaluate your mental competency.

edit insertion> This evaluation can be along the lines of say the way a Blade Runner ferrets out replicants. lol.

<end insertion

It would be a good way to identify the wing nuts.

You can have your cake (guns) and eat it (shoot them at legitimate targets) too, no?

If you don't comply the militia can get a chance to use their arms in a totally legal exercise (it would be great training) or they will send a drone strike after your a$$.  B)

I assume this is a joke since the "fellow militia members" would be just as mentally problematic.

For information.  Many state constitutions have or had clauses which established that all able bodied males were part of the "militia."  Goes back to the founding of the country before the actual National Guard and supplemented the organized militia's of each state.

Most states also have a "State Guard," which is not the National Guard although the SG's are usually under the Adjutant Generals of each states' NG.  In S.C., these are unpaid positions and require attendance at meetings and "exercises."  They are often used to supplement the NG during emergencies, such as the recent hurricanes.  Also would take the place of the NG if it was totally activated for Federal service, such as occurred during WW  II.

Have known several military retirees who joined SG because they could "advance" in rank a grade or two or three.  Example:  a retired Lt. Col. becomes a general.  Of course, US military does not recognize these ranks for pay, titles, etc.

Read where the current NRA shifted its focus due to influence of gun companies.  Prior to that, they really were just interested in teaching gun safety, establishing safety standards for firing ranges, etc.  2nd Amendment was of little concern to them.

The gun companies were losing sales by large numbers, so they got in bed with NRA and its members and here we are.

• Like 1

I assume this is a joke since the "fellow militia members" would be just as mentally problematic.

For information.  Many state constitutions have or had clauses which established that all able bodied males were part of the "militia."  Goes back to the founding of the country before the actual National Guard and supplemented the organized militia's of each state.

Most states also have a "State Guard," which is not the National Guard although the SG's are usually under the Adjutant Generals of each states' NG.  In S.C., these are unpaid positions and require attendance at meetings and "exercises."  They are often used to supplement the NG during emergencies, such as the recent hurricanes.  Also would take the place of the NG if it was totally activated for Federal service, such as occurred during WW  II.

Have known several military retirees who joined SG because they could "advance" in rank a grade or two or three.  Example:  a retired Lt. Col. becomes a general.  Of course, US military does not recognize these ranks for pay, titles, etc.

Read where the current NRA shifted its focus due to influence of gun companies.  Prior to that, they really were just interested in teaching gun safety, establishing safety standards for firing ranges, etc.  2nd Amendment was of little concern to them.

The gun companies were losing sales by large numbers, so they got in bed with NRA and its members and here we are.

Not a joke serious, there are responsible gun owners, and they do outnumber the nutjobs. If you want to retain that right to keep the semi automatics or to buy them police yourselves it can be done. Just make something totally new for each state that can be defined as a "well regulated militia." 

I trust responsible gun owners to do the right thing.

Not a joke serious, there are responsible gun owners, and they do outnumber the nutjobs. If you want to retain that right to keep the semi automatics or to buy them police yourselves it can be done. Just make something totally new for each state that can be defined as a "well regulated militia." 

I trust responsible gun owners to do the right thing.

May be different in NY, but in the South the vast majority of gun owners do NOT want any regulation of guns.  They have completely bought into the NRA/Gun Manufacturers "slippery slope" dogma.

As for the "well regulated militia," not going to happen.  The Supreme Court originally interpreted that phrase to mean the National Guard.  Then sometime more recently, the 2nd Amendment was interpreted to mean NO regulation of guns - period.  The part about the "well regulated militia" was rendered moot.

Who would establish the framework by which each state "defines" a well regulated militia?  We are talking about the Constitution.  If NY or CA legislated that it meant the NG and nothing else, would the NRA/Gun Manufacturers then bring suit in Federal court that it violated the 2nd Amendment?  Under current SCOTUS, it would win.

S.C. and other Southern, Mid-Western and South Western states would quickly define "militia" as everybody in the state who is not diagnosed as mentally ill or a convicted felon.

Ths S.C. Code of Laws has three classes of militia: S.C. National Guard; organized militia not in National Guard (State Guard); the unorganized militia.  The law further states that all U.S. citizens residing in the state who are able bodied 17 years of age, etc. are members of the militia.  The law then goes into detail in a lot of categories.  Therefore, the unorganized militia is a well regulated militia although it has no meetings, no uniforms, etc. 

May be different in NY, but in the South the vast majority of gun owners do NOT want any regulation of guns.  They have completely bought into the NRA/Gun Manufacturers "slippery slope" dogma.

As for the "well regulated militia," not going to happen.  The Supreme Court originally interpreted that phrase to mean the National Guard.  Then sometime more recently, the 2nd Amendment was interpreted to mean NO regulation of guns - period.  The part about the "well regulated militia" was rendered moot.

Who would establish the framework by which each state "defines" a well regulated militia?  We are talking about the Constitution.  If NY or CA legislated that it meant the NG and nothing else, would the NRA/Gun Manufacturers then bring suit in Federal court that it violated the 2nd Amendment?  Under current SCOTUS, it would win.

S.C. and other Southern, Mid-Western and South Western states would quickly define "militia" as everybody in the state who is not diagnosed as mentally ill or a convicted felon.

Ths S.C. Code of Laws has three classes of militia: S.C. National Guard; organized militia not in National Guard (State Guard); the unorganized militia.  The law further states that all U.S. citizens residing in the state who are able bodied 17 years of age, etc. are members of the militia.  The law then goes into detail in a lot of categories.  Therefore, the unorganized militia is a well regulated militia although it has no meetings, no uniforms, etc. 

You're not getting my point, anybody but mental cases can own a semi automatic as long as they are members of the militia or whatever new thing we call it, which if they are responsible and what to keep that right by makinging sure the nut jobs don't get guns, should work. If the alternative is get bombed out of your bunker and ask questions later, I think the good folk out there will comply.

My other solution is that we issue everyone a small personal nuclear device worn permanently around the neck that will go off if the life form wearing if dies a violent death, killing everything within say 1000 meters.

We'd have a nice peaceful, polite, respecting world with everyone walking on eggshells.

My other solution is that we issue everyone a small personal nuclear device worn permanently around the neck that will go off if the life form wearing if dies a violent death, killing everything within say 1000 meters.

We'd have a nice peaceful, polite, respecting world with everyone walking on eggshells.

Better worn around the wrist. Going out in style is a barrel of laughs  :D

Suicide attacker's wet dream.

Personally, if I ever felt like killing myself, I'd get as close to a Hell's Angels clubhouse as possible and take myself (or one of them) out thereby getting all of them within 1000 meters. Do the world a favor sort of thing.

You're not getting my point, anybody but mental cases can own a semi automatic as long as they are members of the militia or whatever new thing we call it, which if they are responsible and what to keep that right by makinging sure the nut jobs don't get guns, should work. If the alternative is get bombed out of your bunker and ask questions later, I think the good folk out there will comply.

I understand your point.  You seem to be saying that the state "militias" would have regulations as to who could be members and that only members could have certain types of weapons.  But in the states that Trump carried and many more, the vast number of gun owners do not want any regulation at all of guns.  Not by the Feds, the states, the local governments or a "militia."  The NRA and gun manufacturers absolutely do not want any regulations.

Everybody, with a few exceptions, can own a semi-automatic now.  The question has always been who can own automatic rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, etc.  Also, how easily weapons can be obtained, such as no significant limitations at gun shows or in "personal" sales.

The other problem is that, as I tried to explain, in many states, everybody is in the "militia."   As in S.C. where every able bodied person 17 or over is in the "militia."

Of course, each state could revise what a militia is, but I don't see that happening.  Would they have to certify each person and issue hard to duplicate ID cards?  What testing would be required?  Would every person wishing to join the "militia" have to undergo a psychological exam?  Would the states pay for them?  I was in the Army for 28 years and never had to undergo a psychological exam.

Of course, they could say everybody can "join" unless they have a certifiable mental disorder.  Then the types and severity of disorders would have to be established.

Many (most?) of the mass murderers were not diagnosed with any type of serious mental disorder until after they killed people.

Suicide attacker's wet dream.

Personally, if I ever felt like killing myself, I'd get as close to a Hell's Angels clubhouse as possible and take myself (or one of them) out thereby getting all of them within 1000 meters. Do the world a favor sort of thing.

even killing them is murder.