Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,445 posts in this topic

NRA: “Our deepest sympathies are with the families and victims of these tragedies, as well as the entire communities of El Paso and Dayton.

"We will not participate in the politicizing of these tragedies but, as always,

we will work in good faith to pursue real solutions that protect us all from people who commit these horrific acts.”

:blink:  <_<

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

liberals wanna pretend there ain't no solution when there always has been...

we conservatives think he oughta be executed after a prompt trial and sentencing.

If you think that is a SOLUTION to the problem of mass murders where more than likely the terrorist wants to die then you are barking up the wrong tree.  Execution is not going to be a deterrent.  Why doan you talk about your beloved President's encouragement of white supremacist terrorism?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

NRA: “Our deepest sympathies are with the families and victims of these tragedies, as well as the entire communities of El Paso and Dayton.

"We will not participate in the politicizing of these tragedies but, as always,

we will work in good faith to pursue real solutions that protect us all from people who commit these horrific acts.”

:blink:  <_<

Gee, I'm surprised these latest crocodile tears of a cop out issued from the NRA didn't also include another little standard piece of crap logic of theirs which is that old piece of crap logic they've used to resist any and all measures which possibly could be implemented towards helping create even a minor decrease in these sorts of horrific and reoccurring incidences in our country, and of which we unfortunately lead the modern industrialized and "Free World" in happening.

This being the following sort of CRAP LOGIC and what I'm surprised they didn't also state here:

"Yes, our deepest sympathies we extend to all here, but once again the NRA would like to remind you that these mass killings are sometimes just the price we Americans must pay to continue our relatively free, unrestricted and easy access to firearms, and which are the bottom line defense we the American people have to ensure our continued freedom against a potentially tyrannical government."

(...yep, I'm REALLY surprised they didn't pull THAT lame "old chestnut" out again TOO)

• Sad 1

Per the Gun Violence Archive, as reported in USA Today, there have been more mass shootings in USA than there have been days in 2019. 251 mass shootings in 216 days.  A shooting where there are four victims (not including the shooter) or more is considered a mass shooting.  520 people have died and at least 2,000 have been injured.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/03/el-paso-walmart-shooting-250th-mass-shooting-this-year/1913486001/

• Sad 1

In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings. On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose… 500 to Medical errors 300 to the Flu 250 to Suicide 200 to Car Accidents 40 to Homicide via Handgun Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gee, I'm surprised these latest crocodile tears of a cop out issued from the NRA didn't also include another little standard piece of crap logic of theirs which is that old piece of crap logic they've used to resist any and all measures which possibly could be implemented towards helping create even a minor decrease in these sorts of horrific and reoccurring incidences in our country, and of which we unfortunately lead the modern industrialized and "Free World" in happening.

This being the following sort of CRAP LOGIC and what I'm surprised they didn't also state here:

"Yes, our deepest sympathies we extend to all here, but once again the NRA would like to remind you that these mass killings are sometimes just the price we Americans must pay to continue our relatively free, unrestricted and easy access to firearms, and which are the bottom line defense we the American people have to ensure our continued freedom against a potentially tyrannical government."

(...yep, I'm REALLY surprised they didn't pull THAT lame "old chestnut" out again TOO)

I love that bit about having guns so that one can rise up against a tyrannical government.  Who's version of tyrannical would that be?  It certainly wouldn't be the position of any government as they would be on the receiving end.  So is this a freedom of speech issue?  Accept the philosophy of any gunman who has a beef with government?  Wasn't the baseball diamond shooter in D.C. rising up against the government as he saw it?   I'm sure you would agree that this argument for safekeeping guns is now old hat.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, jakeem said:

At his rally tonight, Trump says the government is unable to violently attack immigrants, someone in the crowd shouted "Shoot them!"

The crowd & Trump erupt in laughter & cheers. Trump says, "Only in the panhandle can you get away with that statement."

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I love that bit about having guns so that one can rise up against a tyrannical government.  Who's version of tyrannical would that be?  It certainly wouldn't be the position of any government as they would be on the receiving end.  So is this a freedom of speech issue?  Accept the philosophy of any gunman who has a beef with government?  Wasn't the baseball diamond shooter in D.C. rising up against the government as he saw it?   I'm sure you would agree that this argument for safekeeping guns is now old hat.

Exactly Bogie. Not only is this argument "old hat" and has especially been so since 1865 and after a whole section of the United States took up arms in vain against its federal government (a little thing we call the Civil War down this way...and I EMPHASIZE the words "in vain" here btw), but ANYONE who actually believes that they could successfully fight off and let alone WIN an uprising against a modern American government bent on a tyrannical course, and by use of WHATEVER arsenal they the uprising could muster up, is a DAMN FOOL! Allow me to repeat this here...A DAMN FOOL!!!!

(...but you'll NEVER in a MILLION FREAKIN' YEARS get the NRA and those who continue to MISREAD and MISUNDERSTAND the REAL intent the Framers had for the Second Amendment AND the part within it stating "A WELL REGULATED MILITIA being necessary for the security of a free state" to UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS, the damn freakin' PARANOID FOOLS!!!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So, JR! With your reaction to my above statement IN FACT being that little "sad" emoji dude, PLEASE don't tell me that YOU are one of those "DAMN PARANOID FOOLS" who actually BELIEVE the crap logic that the NRA has consistently spewed (and especially so ever since that functional idiot Wayne Lapierre took over its leadership role) that I was talkin' about here TOO?!!!

(...'cause IF that's what your intent was here, I gotta say I REALLY feel sorry for you, dude...BUT, if I somehow MISREAD your reaction reply here and it was actually posted in more a sense of it being a "sad but true" commentary on my STATEMENT IN FACT, then PLEASE accept my apology AND my thanks for being one of the more INTELLIGENT citizens of our country!)

• Thanks 1

[SATIRE] - with a sting

Thomas Jefferson: ‘The Tree Of Liberty Must Be Refreshed From Time To Time With The Blood Of Patriots And Tyrants And Kindergarteners And Newlyweds And High-Schoolers And Parents And Teachers And Worshippers And Workers And Occasionally Infants’

ofjyvy5mbwfrgfwekvzb.jpg

On the subject of our still fledgling nation, one point in particular stands out, which I present for want of understanding America’s purpose: The British crown continues to repeat its lies about our being unable to govern ourselves, and yet we have over these past years of self-government seen relative peace. However, that peace must not lull our citizenry into complacency. It is essential that Americans remain ready to respond to any threat that would encroach on our dearly won freedom.

That is why the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants and kindergartners and newlyweds and grandpas and high-schoolers and dads and teachers and moms and worshippers and workers and occasionally infants.

We vow to never again find ourselves caught in the ruthless grip of the British Empire or a group of lifelong friends reuniting at a country music festival.

I hope that this point will be sufficiently clarified in our Constitution, so that our descendants may understand fully the need for an armed and well-regulated group of citizens that can put down any despotic government, ninth-grade class, synagogue congregation, The Dark Knight Rises audience, or group of shoppers at a Walmart that rises up against them.

It is the price we must pay, for what signifies a few lives lost in a century or two on the battlefield, or at a Little League game, or in a high-school library? We do not take our task to safeguard our liberty lightly, and we must never hesitate when our existence as a free state is put at risk by the sinister whims of autocrats and nightclub attendees and older sisters and high-school principals and great-grandmothers and pharmacy technicians and parents of young kids and accountants and dancers and 7-year-olds and well-liked colleagues and leaders of Bible study groups and immigrants and aunts and aspiring photographers and paramedics and the first people in their family to attend college. Likewise, we must accept that defending our liberty will sometimes necessitate the loss of life of brave and loyal patriots, as well as nurses and sons and retirees and dedicated union members and daughters and aspiring firefighters and bartenders and veterans and teaching assistants and rabbis and fast-food employees and animal lovers and postal workers, and, if necessary, people described by everyone who knew them as loving, creative, and kind.

This is why American government must never infringe upon the rights of its citizens to keep and bear arms, which we must do in order to withstand any attack by a foreign adversary or college students attending an engineering class. If we are to fulfill our noble vision of a city upon a hill, to rise to the occasion of maintaining a government where man is free to pursue his own happiness and destiny, each of us must stand ready with his well-oiled musket or high-capacity semi-automatic rifle to exterminate an invading force or, on occasion, people buying shoes at the mall.

Naturally, there may yet come a time in our nation’s future when the very federal government we have established becomes a purveyor of the same forces of prejudice and tyranny we sought to eradicate. In such a situation, it is our hope that the citizens of this country will use their collective strength to fight such evils and protect the oppressed among them, or, alternatively, to be misdirected by the violent rhetoric of the country’s plutocratic ruling party and its mass media apparatus into firing deadly weapons indiscriminately into crowds of innocent people trying to go about their day.

That is our right as Americans.

https://www.theonion.com/thomas-jefferson-the-tree-of-liberty-must-be-refreshe-1836974855

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Enough-time for real action.

Pass a domestic terrorism bill.

Ban assault weapons, high capacity magazines, body armor, silencers.

Pass universal background checks, end loopholes: gunshow and Charleston.

Pass red flag laws.

We can reduce the carnage if pols have the guts to act
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Sorry, wrong country.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Pass red flag laws.

DAMN! You had me RIGHT UP until that last part I placed in bold lettering here, Eric (and Mr.Sixes).

Politicos not ONLY having "GUTS", but ALSO the INTELLIGENCE to understand the VALIDITY of the points that I made in my two previous posting in this thing, TOO?! AND, let ALONE getting the die hard CITIZENRY who STILL believe the crap logic that their "freedoms are only ensured through a barrel of a gun in this country" to go along with these COMMON SENSE suggestions TOO??? 

(...sorry, and I hate to be a buzzkill here, but this AIN'T gonna happen...guess I'm just one of those "glass half-empty" sort'a guys afterall, huh)

43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

DAMN! You had me RIGHT UP until that last part I placed in bold lettering here, Eric (and Mr.Sixes).

Politicos not ONLY having "GUTS", but ALSO the INTELLIGENCE to understand the VALIDITY of the points that I made in my two previous posting in this thing, TOO?! AND, let ALONE getting the die hard CITIZENRY who STILL believe the crap logic that their "freedoms are only ensured through a barrel of a gun in this country" to go along with these COMMON SENSE suggestions TOO??? 

(...sorry, and I hate to be a buzzkill here, but this AIN'T gonna happen...guess I'm just one of those "glass half-empty" sort'a guys afterall, huh)

It isn't these politicians that need guts but instead those voters that live in districts.    Get the guts to elect politicians that have 'poor' NRA scores.   This was what was done in CA and a major reason CA has the toughest gun control laws in the nation.     

Also,  it isn't the politicians that need the intelligence,  but again, the VOTERS in that congressional district (or state for the Senate).  

The politicians are just doing what the voters in that district\state want.     

You said "it AIN'T going to happen here"':   I take it you mean that your member of Congress isn't for additional gun-control laws.      The people that you should be disappointed with are your fellow citizens that continue to elect anti-gun-control members of the House and Senate.    Didn't that member RUN on being against more gun-control measures?    YEA he did, and of course he WON.

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It isn't these politicians that need guts but instead those voters that live in districts.    Get the guts to elect politicians that have 'poor' NRA scores.   This was what was done in CA and a major reason CA has the toughest gun control laws in the nation.     

Also,  it isn't the politicians that need the intelligence,  but again, the VOTERS in that congressional district (or state for the Senate).  

The politicians are just doing what the voters in that district\state want.     

You said "it AIN'T going to happen here"':   I take it you mean that your member of Congress isn't for additional gun-control laws.      The people that you should be disappointed with are your fellow citizens that continue to elect anti-gun-control members of the House and Senate.    Didn't that member RUN on being against more gun-control measures?    YEA he did, and of course he WON.

I can NOT argue against ONE thing you just said here, James. It's SO damn true!

BUT, don't forget I ALSO said the following in my post you just replied to:

"AND, let ALONE getting the die hard CITIZENRY who STILL believe the crap logic that their "freedoms are only ensured through a barrel of a gun in this country" to go along with these COMMON SENSE suggestions TOO???".

(...did I not?!)

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Pass red flag laws.

but you doan know that. it is merely a hope.

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

but you doan know that. it is merely a hope.

Nippy--

In your Gun Arsenal do you have any AK-47s. Those are awfully popular guns in this country.

NRA 'welcomes' Trump's response to El Paso, Dayton shootings

".....he condemned white supremacy and violent video games but did not lay out any new gun laws.

The NRA, the nation's pre-eminent lobbying and advocacy group for gun owners, endorsed Trump's focus on "the root causes" of violence, referring to his comments blaming mental illness for recent massacres.

"The NRA welcomes the President’s call to address the root causes of the horrific acts of violence that have occurred in our country," the organization said in a statement. "It has been the NRA’s long-standing position that those who have been adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others should not have access to firearms and should be admitted for treatment."...

<_<

28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I can NOT argue against ONE thing you just said here, James. It's SO damn true!

BUT, don't forget I ALSO said the following in my post you just replied to:

"AND, let ALONE getting the die hard CITIZENRY who STILL believe the crap logic that their "freedoms are only ensured through a barrel of a gun in this country" to go along with these COMMON SENSE suggestions TOO???".

(...did I not?!)

I saw that;  But in your district is it really the 'die hard Citizenry' or do the majority of voters in your district have a lack of common sense when it comes to gun-control?

I ask because if only the 'die hard' and not a majority,   maybe the incumbent can be defeated  (i.e. the MSM keeps saying the tide has changed,,,,)..

================================

·
9m

Assault weapons won’t defend you from a government with unmanned drones, stealth technology and nuclear weapons.

This foolish hearted, derpy, militia-man bravado has succeeded at only one thing:

getting other people killed.
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Nippy--

In your Gun Arsenal do you have any AK-47s. Those are awfully popular guns in this country.

Try WORLDWIDE! It probably ties the Christian Cross as the most recognized symbol!

weapon-of-peace-rebranded-ak-47-draws-fi

On the flag of Mozambique

1.jpg

A symbol against repression / for revolution.

hezbollah-flag-f8295a2159a63e3caf43fa379

Iranian theme park :wacko: let little kids fire the AK-47 with plastic bullets (must be safe)

iranian_boy_shoot_american_flag.png

Talk about a high capacity magazine! :blink:

sddefault.jpg

(why not go all out and come withing an inch of the gun barrel?)

Edited by hamradio

'Do Something!': Calls For Action After Mass Shootings In El Paso And Dayton

"......pointed readers to a list compiled by the American College of Physicians and published last November of "common sense recommendations for preventing firearm injury and death in the U.S."

The ACP has long urged policymakers to do more to prevent gun deaths and injuries, which it has deemed a public health crisis. Some of its past positions have been joined by a wide range of groups, from the American College of Surgeons and the American Psychiatric Association to the American Bar Association.

In response to a request from NPR,

the International Association of Chiefs of Police shared its list of 19 policy steps that could cut gun violence, from limiting high-capacity ammunition magazines to opposing efforts to ease laws on silencers.

The IACP supports passing a new ban on "the production and sale of semi-automatic assault weapons" as well as a ban on mail-order sales of bulletproof vests and body armor.

"Gun violence is not a new issue — it is a continuing tragedy that destroys innocent lives, families and communities,"....

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/05/748239149/do-something-calls-ring-out-after-mass-shootings-in-el-paso-and-dayton?utm_campaign=npr&amp;utm_medium=social&amp;utm_term=nprnews&amp;utm_source=facebook.com&amp;fbclid=IwAR1buhIGwJvx0U0VmHuvfcuAFH-143ZMrZ3oz2u4WrJnGWAX_okpZHLqw9E

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I saw that;  But in your district is it really the 'die hard Citizenry' or do the majority of voters in your district have a lack of common sense when it comes to gun-control?

I ask because if only the 'die hard' and not a majority,   maybe the incumbent can be defeated  (i.e. the MSM keeps saying the tide has changed,,,,)..

Sedona itself is quite a mixed bag of souls, what with your retirees coming from various parts of the country (from both fairly liberal and fairly conservative constituencies) and with your artist types (mostly liberal), and what we call your "Woo-woos" (the New Agers, and who are either very liberal OR who don't seem to concern themselves with affairs of a political nature, as they're usually MUCH too busy contemplating the "Universe" and/or their freakin' navels) LOL

The congressional district Sedona sits in also contains its largest city of Flagstaff, a fairly liberal part of Arizona, and due to the existence of the University of Northern Arizona (NAU) being located there and thus its influence upon the city's political climate. And so, my congressperson, Tom O'Halleran, is a Democrat, but one whose views from the little I actually know of the guy, tend to be of a Centrist nature. YEAH, just like ME!!! ;)

I'm not really sure what Congressman O'Halleran's specific views are on the subject of "Gun Control", but I'll BET they're NOT of the DAMN STUPID kind of "I don't support any kind of Gun Control 'cause all they're gonna do is then take all our guns away" sort of CRAP LOGIC!

(...allow me to REPEAT that here...that sort of CRAP LOGIC!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Try WORLDWIDE! It probably ties the Christian Cross as the most recognized symbol!

weapon-of-peace-rebranded-ak-47-draws-fi

On the flag of Mozambique

1.jpg

A symbol against repression / for revolution.

hezbollah-flag-f8295a2159a63e3caf43fa379

Iranian theme park :wacko: let little kids fire the AK-47 with plastic bullets (must be safe)

iranian_boy_shoot_american_flag.png

Talk about a high capacity magazine! :blink:

sddefault.jpg

(why not go all out and come withing an inch of the gun barrel?)

Ham, 

What kind of guns do you have at home? Are you a gun collector?