Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,451 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Geez, you're startin' to sound just like my wife here, dude!

(...and when she says, "You don't really need all three of those motorcycles out there in the garage, now do you?!")

LOL

I hear the same thing with regards to guitars.   Hey,  I only have 7 and all serve a different need!

• Like 1

L.A. Times has a good article about the GOP Ohio Governor and his push for state gun-control laws.    Former Governor,  John Kasich, tried to pass similar state laws and the GOP State House wouldn't consider them.     The article says the same thing is likely to happen again,,,, regardless of Dayton.

Ohio is a key battleground state for the Presidential election.   Can the Dem candidate use the issue of gun-control to take back Ohio?        

BREAKING: The

planned to buy a luxury Dallas mansion that documents indicate was for the use of chief executive Wayne LaPierre.

NYAG has obtained records, now probing the purchase w/

:rolleyes:
  • Haha 1

Poll: Most Republicans support assault weapons ban,

despite Trump saying 'no appetite'

..... The poll found that nearly 70 percent of all voters would back such a ban. Support for an assault-weapons ban was higher, at 86 percent, among Democrats, who have been pushing for new restrictions on the firearms in the wake of two mass shootings over the weekend. ......

that 55 percent of GOP voters were comfortable with banning assault weapons, and 54 percent said they would support stricter gun laws more generally. Ninety percent said they would back universal background checks for gun sales.

Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, the poll found........

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/07/poll-most-voters-support-assault-weapons-ban-1452586

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Poll: Most Republicans support assault weapons ban,

despite Trump saying 'no appetite'

..... The poll found that nearly 70 percent of all voters would back such a ban. Support for an assault-weapons ban was higher, at 86 percent, among Democrats, who have been pushing for new restrictions on the firearms in the wake of two mass shootings over the weekend. ......

that 55 percent of GOP voters were comfortable with banning assault weapons, and 54 percent said they would support stricter gun laws more generally. Ninety percent said they would back universal background checks for gun sales.

Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, the poll found........

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/07/poll-most-voters-support-assault-weapons-ban-1452586

The polling never lines up with the actual voting.   Unless those members of the GOP are willing to primary-out incumbents that don't support such bans,,,such polling results are empty.

Like I said;  it isn't the politicians that needs 'guts' but instead voters,  especially GOP ones (if they really support such bans).

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

That's great.

But I don't think the 14 year-old could have handled an AK-47 anyway.

She looks around 14

oh how embarrassing! :lol:

• Haha 1

These little girls don't play with Barbie unless it's a Marine Barbie.

Reminds me of the Joker in Full Metal Jacket" whom wears a peace sign and a message that says 'Born to Kill'.

d8d79bd168246a1c6b9d906e66e25de3.jpg

9111f2dc6d56e2e002678ee3f03b3ebc.jpg

Guess she wants to be a sniper. 

75251821a55851f774bc387039cabb37.jpg

Tot of Total Destruction!

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, hamradio said:

Reminds me of the Joker in Full Metal Jacket" whom wears a peace sign and a message that says 'Born to Kill'.

9111f2dc6d56e2e002678ee3f03b3ebc.jpg

You had to be there!

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The polling never lines up with the actual voting.   Unless those members of the GOP are willing to primary-out incumbents that don't support such bans,,,such polling results are empty.

Like I said;  it isn't the politicians that needs 'guts' but instead voters,  especially GOP ones (if they really support such bans).

The Radical Republican Party of today is built on a coalition.  If one part of that coalition switches sides, the whole thing potentially tumbles.  Gun owners, more so than the NRA, are a factor in that coalition.  The Democrats are also a coalition, but perhaps some elements are not as key to it as gun owners and gun manufacturers and gun dealers are to the GOPers.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The polling never lies which is why we are living under president Hillary Clinton right now.

• Haha 2

of the 40 deadliest US mass shootings since 1949 (8 or more people killed):

--7 occurred in the 10 years before US enacted assault weapons ban

--2 occurred in the 10 years assault weapons ban was in effect

--26 have occurred in the 15 years since assault weapons ban expired

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

You had to be there!

TRUMP WASN’T THERE!  HE WAS TENDING TO HIS BONE SPURS...the chicken-cheat !!!

• Like 1

Read where the NRA is having financial and managerial problems and also losing some influence.  However, that just means the gun manufacturers, distributors and other sellers will just find a more direct route to contribute to GOP candidates.

• Thanks 1

He was pushing a shopping cart inside a Missouri Walmart — while armed and wearing body armor.
And he was filming customers’ reactions with a cellphone.

He was arrested.

================================================

Reminder: The man inside the Missouri Walmart was arrested for causing panic

- not for having loaded “tactical weapons," wearing body armor or carrying 100+ rounds of ammo in public,

all of which was legal.
<_<
  • Sad 1

My very progressive daughter is not worried either, and she doan need no fancy bench rest. :D

29G5GTs.jpg

• Like 2

When ‘Back to School’ Means Back to Mass-Shooting Fears

High-profile massacres have created ambient, worsening anxiety about gun violence on K–12 campuses.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/08/shootings-el-paso-dayton-add-kids-anxiety/595723/?utm_medium=social&amp;utm_content=edit-promo&amp;utm_term=2019-08-09T15%3A05%3A14&amp;utm_campaign=the-atlantic&amp;utm_source=twitter

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Workers and Shooting Survivors Slam Walmart Plan to Stop Gun Violence by

...Wait for It

...Displaying Video Games Less Prominently

"Stop hiding behind made up issues

and come to grips with the reality of your role in gun violence."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/09/workers-and-shooting-survivors-slam-walmart-plan-stop-gun-violence-bywait

A Young white man who was armed with an assault weapon and 100 rounds walked into a Walmart in Springfield Missouri yesterday afternoon. 

An observant employee hit the fire alarm and as people ran out oh, so did the young man.

But unfortunately for him he ran into an off-duty firefighter who had a legal right to carry a gun and stopped him.

The  Springfield police said on camera that it's a miracle the young man is still alive. ( oh really)

The police arrested him and took him into custody without further incident and charged him with a terrorist threat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

My very progressive daughter is not worried either, and she doan need no fancy bench rest. :D

29G5GTs.jpg

With enough practice maybe..

b06a40422d8fa374f3c83fe0ba40a383.jpg

"I think the momentum in this case will dissipate greatly because the president just left for vacation.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is already on vacation.

He's already said the Senate's not coming back," says The Washington Post's Jonathan Capehart of the outlook for new gun legislation after El Paso and Dayton.

-------------------------------------------------

"......but what's become new this week is,

it's a terrorism issue as well,

in that the people, especially in El Paso, but in a lot of these other shootings,

they are killing on behalf of an ideology that is a little like the ISIS ideology in some ways. .....

This has to be led by a group of red state people who are rock-ribbed Republicans who say, I'm very Republican, I love to shoot, guns are part of my culture, but we got to change.

And until you can get red state leaders doing that, it's going to be a tougher issue.......

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/david-brooks-and-jonathan-capehart-on-trumps-mass-shooting-response?fbclid=IwAR3qAOOPioWYA6y5HBE6ukmu473EMcWmKT_evfHA6vQ8MZiemb9bYOAZI-M

Mass shootings: The most American way to kill and die

Racism, corruption and arms proliferation are fuelling America's mass shooting epidemic.

"......The US stands alone among the nations of the world as a global leader and outlier in civilian gun proliferation and mass shootings. While America should not and must not continue down this unsustainable path towards self-annihilation, it is necessary to understand how the "land of the free" became the most armed nation on Earth in the first place.

The madness of American gun violence thrives on a lethal combination of three ingredients: The first is nearly limitless access to guns, which is unparalleled in the world.

The second is corruption on the part of elected officials who receive financial contributions from the arms lobby to enact irresponsibly lax gun legislation.

The third factor is the unwillingness of American society to address racism, and the refusal of its leadership to confront the role of white supremacist domestic terrorism as the ultimate threat to the nation and a growing global concern........

the Brookings Institution, "Gun violence in America has become a national security emergency," with the number of American lives lost to guns over the past two decades rivalling the number of US military deaths since World War I. ........

The 10 US states with the highest gun homicide rates have some of the weakest gun regulations in the nation. ...

Take away the gun, and society begins to chip away at the myth of white supremacy.

Americans struggle to come to terms with its original sin of racism at a time of weaponised white supremacy, when domestic terrorism with a white male face poses the greatest threat to their lives. Homegrown white nationalists account for most of the terrorist violence and most of the 850 domestic terror cases .......

To top it all off, we now have a white nationalist president who incites racial violence against Latinx immigrants, Muslims, Jews, black people and others. ..........

- it is clear that the US has failed to address its lethal mixture of racism, corruption and arms proliferation, and as a result has reaped the whirlwind. "

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/mass-shootings-american-kill-die-190807131542401.html

• Thanks 1