Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

1,461 posts in this topic

I don't know if most voters know the great power the NRA has in the

halls of Congress. Maybe they do. That power and influence is very

impressive. Most voters probably don't have gun regulation as their

most important issue so would not vote on that issue alone. I would

guess there are more NRA enthusiasts for whom that is their number

one issue. 

 

My, or anybody else's, one vote wouldn't make any difference, even

in the election for dog catcher.

 

I agree that the major reason the NRA is able to help elect politicians that have 'good' NRA ratings is because pro-gun voters tend to be single issues voters.   This is especially true in the GOP primaries.     Having a 'poor' NRA rating in many districts\states is a death sign.   In addition the NRA will donate money to the GOP candidate in the primary with the bests NRA rating.   

 

That being the case,  with all the media coverage of gun violence and what appears to be majority support of additional gun-control laws at the federal level,   one would think that his would lead to more single-issue pro-gun-control voters.    If not,  change will not occur.

 

As for your 'one vote doesn't make a difference' nonsense:  how many others are their like you?   It appears thousands,  if not millions,  which is one of the reasons Trump is President.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the major reason the NRA is able to help elect politicians that have 'good' NRA ratings is because pro-gun voters tend to be single issues voters.   This is especially true in the GOP primaries.     Having a 'poor' NRA rating in many districts\states is a death sign.   In addition the NRA will donate money to the GOP candidate in the primary with the bests NRA rating.   

 

That being the case,  with all the media coverage of gun violence and what appears to be majority support of additional gun-control laws at the federal level,   one would think that his would lead to more single-issue pro-gun-control voters.    If not,  change will not occur.

 

As for your 'one vote doesn't make a difference' nonsense:  how many others are their like you?   It appears thousands,  if not millions,  which is one of the reasons Trump is President.     

For whatever reason, single issue pro gun regulation voters seem to be

few and far between compared to single issue anti gun regulation voters.

 

Since presidential elections bring out around 55% of voters and mid-term 

elections fewer than that, there're a lot of non voters out there. But I'm

not responsible for them, only myself and my one vote wouldn't count for

anything, so why bother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even after Vegas, the NRA keeps on winning — now it wants war-

Three weeks after Las Vegas, bump-stock regulation is dead and the NRA has pushed culture-war rhetoric to a new low

"The NRA is Trump's staunchest supporter, after all, and it's opening a new front in the culture war on his behalf. Last week, the group released the latest in a series of videos that had previously appeared to threaten the press and the Resistance. The new video features NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch issuing this call to arms:

 

>We are witnesses to the most ruthless attack on a president, and the people who voted for him, and the free system that allowed it to happen in American history. From the highest levels of government, to their media, universities and billionaires, their hateful defiance of his legitimacy is an insult to each of us. But the ultimate insult is that they think we’re so stupid that we’ll let them get away with it. These saboteurs, slashing away with their leaks and sneers, their phony accusations and gagging sanctimony, drive their daggers through the heart of our future, poisoning our belief that honest custody of our institutions will ever again be possible. So they can then build their utopia from the ashes of what they burned down. No, their fate will be failure and they will perish in the political flames of their own fires.<

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/25/in-the-gop-civil-war-theres-one-clear-winner-the-nra/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 6m6 minutes ago

 
Senator Dick Durbin Retweeted CBS News

The shooter turned his gun on people -- kids -- in a place of worship. 

America is in the grips of a gun violence crisis. Congress must act.

-----------------------------------

CBS NewsVerified account @CBSNews

 

JUST IN: At least 15 people shot in Sutherland Springs church shooting, law enforcement official tells CBS News http://cbsn.ws/2h4botM 

DN5Tph8XkAAf1w0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Senator Dick DurbinVerified account @SenatorDurbin 6m6 minutes ago

 
Senator Dick Durbin Retweeted CBS News

The shooter turned his gun on people -- kids -- in a place of worship. 

America is in the grips of a gun violence crisis. Congress must act.

-----------------------------------

CBS NewsVerified account @CBSNews

 

JUST IN: At least 15 people shot in Sutherland Springs church shooting, law enforcement official tells CBS News http://cbsn.ws/2h4botM 

 

Latest report indicates 27 dead and 20 wounded per Washington Post.

Neither Congress nor the states will do anything.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen the light.....

Congress must act to insure everyone carries a gun at all times, all places. Wouldn't it be a blast if we were all armed everywhere, especially at political rallies, and Presidential speeches.....

 

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Keep your powder dry!!!!!

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Congress must act to insure everyone carries a gun at all times, all places. Wouldn't it be a blast if we were all armed everywhere, especially at political rallies, and Presidential speeches....

I live in a country that has pretty strict gun control. No handguns or assault weapons are allowed up here.

But I've always said that if I lived in the U.S., I'd own a handgun for sure. Probably a couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Americans Don't Have the Right to Bear Just Any Arms

"Let’s start with an undeniable truth: In the United States, the people have the right to keep and bear arms. And let’s then acknowledge that the childish interpretation of that constitutional amendment—that Americans have the right to whatever accessory they can put on, in or over a gun for the sole purpose of making it more deadly—is a dangerous falsehood.

Therein lies the chasm between those seeking constitutionally impossible forms of gun control and their political opponents, who view every proposal regulating weaponry as the first step toward dictatorship. Caught in the middle are the majority of Americans who think people should be allowed to keep guns but seesaw over tougher laws regarding those weapons....

  • Ban accessories that serve no purpose other than to transform guns into weapons of mass slaughter, such as attachable drums that carry 100 rounds.
  • Adopt rules that make it harder for criminals and the mentally ill to obtain firearms.
  • Outlaw the public display of weapons.
  • Allow the concealed carry of guns using the “shall issue” standard.
  • Stop trying to ban scary-looking add-ons that primarily protect the shooter, but don’t make the gun more dangerous to others.
  • Forget attacks on the “armor-piercing bullets.”
  • Abandon efforts to outlaw “assault weapons”—a politically loaded phrase with a mishmash of meanings that pretty much amount to nothing.

While any compromise is anathema to the absolutists, it will benefit the rational middle.....

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/07/24/americans-mass-shootings-assault-weapons-right-bear-arms-354203.html?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why ‘thoughts and prayers’ is starting to sound so profane-

......."It’s analogous to what is going on in the book of James 2:16: If a person says to those who are cold and hungry, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? Or if you look at the story of the good Samaritan, we can easily imagine that the priest, who walked by a person robbed and left half-dead by the road, prayed as he was passing by. Still, he was a bad priest. The Samaritan was good because he did something to help the suffering person.”

For those of us who identify as Christians, it’s particularly painful to watch elected officials use their Christian faith to attempt to spiritualize mass murder, while their inaction leads to people traumatized, maimed, disabled or dead. Mass shootings are not acts of God........

“If your thoughts and prayers are truly with somebody, it means you are going to do something to help them. Jesus prayed. But he prays and then he acts. We also have to act.” .....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/10/03/why-thoughts-and-prayers-is-starting-to-sound-so-profane/?utm_term=.9ed7a216eb00&tid=sm_tw

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hamradio said:

Bag this sucker all by myself!

hunting-clothes-for-toddlers-2.jpg

And just to think when I was that age I was in a movie theater crying over the death of Bambi's mother.

 The influence of the NRA has certainly changed America since my childhood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always go with the critters and hope the hunters

will either shoot themselves or one another.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

And just to think when I was that age I was in a movie theater crying over the death of Bambi's mother.

 The influence of the NRA has certainly changed America since my childhood.

What a crock.    There were more folks against gun control back when you were crying over the death of Bambi's mother than today.    The NRA didn't create the pro-gun voter.   Instead the pro-gun voter created the NRA! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Americans Don't Have the Right to Bear Just Any Arms

"Let’s start with an undeniable truth: In the United States, the people have the right to keep and bear arms. And let’s then acknowledge that the childish interpretation of that constitutional amendment—that Americans have the right to whatever accessory they can put on, in or over a gun for the sole purpose of making it more deadly—is a dangerous falsehood.

Therein lies the chasm between those seeking constitutionally impossible forms of gun control and their political opponents, who view every proposal regulating weaponry as the first step toward dictatorship. Caught in the middle are the majority of Americans who think people should be allowed to keep guns but seesaw over tougher laws regarding those weapons....

  • Ban accessories that serve no purpose other than to transform guns into weapons of mass slaughter, such as attachable drums that carry 100 rounds.
  • Adopt rules that make it harder for criminals and the mentally ill to obtain firearms.
  • Outlaw the public display of weapons.
  • Allow the concealed carry of guns using the “shall issue” standard.
  • Stop trying to ban scary-looking add-ons that primarily protect the shooter, but don’t make the gun more dangerous to others.
  • Forget attacks on the “armor-piercing bullets.”
  • Abandon efforts to outlaw “assault weapons”—a politically loaded phrase with a mishmash of meanings that pretty much amount to nothing.

While any compromise is anathema to the absolutists, it will benefit the rational middle.....

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/07/24/americans-mass-shootings-assault-weapons-right-bear-arms-354203.html?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

:unsure:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I always go with the critters and hope the hunters

will either shoot themselves or one another.  :)

Hunters always tell me that it's okay to shoot cute little animals, if they eat them, as they pass a Safeway, a Kroger's or a Piggly Wiggly on every corner.  I don't think Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett had those options. LOL

But it's interesting that you should say that--there's been a lot of hunting "accidents" around here lately, especially involving teenagers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And just to think when I was that age I was in a movie theater crying over the death of Bambi's mother.

 The influence of the NRA has certainly changed America since my childhood.

That movie is what started this "humanization" of animals.  Sent the wrong message in a big way of how nature works (a crying deer - really?:wacko:) which in itself can be cruel (by our standards).  About hunting deer with fawns.

http://whitetailhunting.info/whitetail-deer/can-a-fawn-survive-on-its-own/

 

By the way, if a baby bird falls out of it's nest, do the other forest creatures comes to it's rescue or cry for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

By the way, if a baby bird falls out of it's nest, do the other forest creatures comes to it's rescue or cry for it?

What's your point, that humans should act like forest creatures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What's your point, that humans should act like forest creatures?

My point is forest creatures don't act like humans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us