midwestan

Any Suggestions to TCM Programmers for SUTS 2018?

5 posts in this topic

I know many TCM viewers and posters have their favorite stars and movies they enjoy seeing any time of the year, but I've started to have an affinity for August's Summer Under The Stars tributes.  Sure, we may not like every​ actor or actress that's featured for a day, but chances are they were in a movie that we like to watch because of the story it tells, or a certain scene, or the co-stars of something they were in.  So, is there a man or woman you think would be worthy of a day's programming in August, 2018?

I hope I don't list someone who was previously honored, but if they haven't had a day for a while, maybe they could be worth another look?

Richard Carlson

Gladys Cooper

Zachary Scott

James Craig

Beulah Bondi

Sydney Greenstreet

Monty Wooley

Judith Anderson

Ann Sothern

Thelma Ritter

Brian Donlevy

Brian Aherne

Basil Rathbone

Joan Blondell

Ann Revere

Lucille Watson

Of course, I wouldn't expect more than a handful of my list to be considered.  These performers are recognizable to audiences, but not necessarily 'A Listers'.  Still, they have a big enough body of work individually to warrant some consideration (at least, in my opinion).

• Like 5

I know many TCM viewers and posters have their favorite stars and movies they enjoy seeing any time of the year, but I've started to have an affinity for August's Summer Under The Stars tributes.  Sure, we may not like every​ actor or actress that's featured for a day, but chances are they were in a movie that we like to watch because of the story it tells, or a certain scene, or the co-stars of something they were in.  So, is there a man or woman you think would be worthy of a day's programming in August, 2018?

I hope I don't list someone who was previously honored, but if they haven't had a day for a while, maybe they could be worth another look?

Richard Carlson

Gladys Cooper

Zachary Scott

James Craig

Beulah Bondi

Sydney Greenstreet

Monty Wooley

Judith Anderson

Ann Sothern

Thelma Ritter

Brian Donlevy

Brian Aherne

Basil Rathbone

Joan Blondell

Ann Revere

Lucille Watson

Of course, I wouldn't expect more than a handful of my list to be considered.  These performers are recognizable to audiences, but not necessarily 'A Listers'.  Still, they have a big enough body of work individually to warrant some consideration (at least, in my opinion).

Please add Roger Moore and Robert Vaughn to the list. They will never be SOTM, so they're perfect for SUTS. Plus, TCM never gave them any sort of tribute after they passed away.

Also, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Gloria Grahame, Donna Reed, Dick Powell, Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, and Gregory Peck.

• Like 1

Joan Blondell would definitely be on my list.  She deserves a SOTM treatment for sure.

I think Thelma Ritter was SUTS a couple years ago if I remember right.

These would be my choices:

Joan Blondell

Gloria Grahame

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Ida Lupino

Claude Rains

Jeanne Crain

Carole Lombard

Don Ameche

John Garfield

Charles Coburn

Danny Kaye

Donald O'Connor

Eve Arden

Anne Baxter

Ann Sothern

Mary Astor

Linda Darnell

Paulette Goddard

Jane Greer

Miriam Hopkins

Eleanor Powell

Ann Miller

Agnes Moorehead

Ann Sheridan

I would love:

Vera-Ellen

Gail Russell

Ella Rains

Clara Bow

Donald O'Connor

Ann Miller

Lillian Gish

Margaret Lockwood

Anne Baxter

Elisha Cook, Jr.

Tallulah Bankhead

Robert Walker

• Like 1

Joan Blondell would definitely be on my list.  She deserves a SOTM treatment for sure.

I think Thelma Ritter was SUTS a couple years ago if I remember right.

These would be my choices:

Joan Blondell

Gloria Grahame

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Ida Lupino

Claude Rains

Jeanne Crain

Carole Lombard

Don Ameche

John Garfield

Charles Coburn

Danny Kaye

Donald O'Connor

Eve Arden

Anne Baxter

Ann Sothern

Mary Astor

Linda Darnell

Paulette Goddard

Jane Greer

Miriam Hopkins

Eleanor Powell

Ann Miller

Agnes Moorehead

Ann Sheridan

I love your mention of Jack Carson.  I've always felt he needed more attention.  Eve Arden, Agnes Moorehead and Mary Astor would also be choices of mine.