revrnd

What--No Beer?

5 posts in this topic

I caught part of the movie the other day and was surprised when I saw the wet dress scene involving Barry and Keaton. Is this movie considered Pre-Code? If not I don't know how the censor didn't want some snipping.

I caught part of the movie the other day and was surprised when I saw the wet dress scene involving Barry and Keaton. Is this movie considered Pre-Code? If not I don't know how the censor didn't want some snipping.

Yes, it's a precode comedy, released in February 1933.

Thanks, I guess I could've looked into when the Hayes Code was put into effect.

It was strongly enforced starting in March 1934. I think Warner Brothers' HEAT LIGHTNING was one of the last motion pictures to be released just before it took full affect. But many of these precodes were re-released in the late 30s and 40s (in the days before television broadcasts), and they did face cuts the second time around. One title, CONVENTION CITY, was considered unsalvageable where all the cutting in the world wouldn't help it pass the censors. But that's another story, and CONVENTION CITY is now a lost film.

• Like 1

I saw that film about 12 or 13 years ago. Fun film! 

Even though it's a pre-Code film, I don't recall a lot of pre-Code elements to it. Maybe I just need to see it again...