Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Day ____ and NO Now Playing Guide email

51 posts in this topic

Thought I would post this each day and change the number, in the unlikely event anyone at TCM reads these or cares.

You would think as a minimum somebody would take the initiative to go to the list of people who have registered and send an email saying it is broke and TCM hopes to have it fixed by_________.

• Like 2

Day 24 and no NPG.

Couple of thoughts here, Cid.  If the 'sender' of the NPG is part of a skeleton crew, maybe they don't have the capacity to send it out on a Saturday or Sunday?  Also, I never was a subscriber of the Now Playing Guide, but I do remember the promos for it that asked interested parties to contact TCM via phone or mail, and the mailing address was in Palm Coast, Florida.  Now, this is probably a stretch on my part, but if the print edition and​ the e-mail edition are both originating from Palm Coast, is it possible that Hurricane Irma caused a lengthy power outage so much as to knock out a lot of saved data on the computer system?  Is it possible that the power is still out in the Palm Coast area?  Again, I don't know where the origin of the 'new and improved' NPG is, but there has to be some decent customer service out there.  After all, this is TCM....not some airline!  (or am I being naïve?) :huh: 

Couple of thoughts here, Cid.  If the 'sender' of the NPG is part of a skeleton crew, maybe they don't have the capacity to send it out on a Saturday or Sunday?  Also, I never was a subscriber of the Now Playing Guide, but I do remember the promos for it that asked interested parties to contact TCM via phone or mail, and the mailing address was in Palm Coast, Florida.  Now, this is probably a stretch on my part, but if the print edition and​ the e-mail edition are both originating from Palm Coast, is it possible that Hurricane Irma caused a lengthy power outage so much as to knock out a lot of saved data on the computer system?  Is it possible that the power is still out in the Palm Coast area?  Again, I don't know where the origin of the 'new and improved' NPG is, but there has to be some decent customer service out there.  After all, this is TCM....not some airline!  (or am I being naïve?) :huh:

Day 25 and no email NPG

I considered what you said, but I do not believe that is the problem.  It it was, TCM in Atlanta GA would send out emails or have one of the moderators/administrators here explain what is happening.  Last time I contacted TCM via phone I was pretty much told I would get it when I got it.

I do not believe it has anything to do with Palm Coast, FL, but I could be mistaken.  That area of Florida is the location for a lot of mailing sites, particularly magazines.  Whereas this is an email, supposedly from TCM. 

I sent a mail order to PBS in Melbourne, FL before Irma.  When I sent an email to check on status, within 24 hours I had an explanation and what they were doing to resolve the problem.

I'm beginning to think that TCM never intended for there to be an email version of the NPG which would be sent to everyone who requested it.  Either that or they need to call the Geek Squad - or a 12 yer old.

• Like 4

Day 25 and no email NPG

I considered what you said, but I do not believe that is the problem.  It it was, TCM in Atlanta GA would send out emails or have one of the moderators/administrators here explain what is happening.  Last time I contacted TCM via phone I was pretty much told I would get it when I got it.

I do not believe it has anything to do with Palm Coast, FL, but I could be mistaken.  That area of Florida is the location for a lot of mailing sites, particularly magazines.  Whereas this is an email, supposedly from TCM. 

I sent a mail order to PBS in Melbourne, FL before Irma.  When I sent an email to check on status, within 24 hours I had an explanation and what they were doing to resolve the problem.

I'm beginning to think that TCM never intended for there to be an email version of the NPG which would be sent to everyone who requested it.  Either that or they need to call the Geek Squad - or a 12 yer old.

On a technical level that shouldn't be much of an issue.  I have coordinated group activities before using Sendblaster, a small little program which behaves like an email client, has its own database.  A computer program like this should be able to do what would be required in this case.

http://www.sendblaster.com/

It could be a coordination problem between different companies.  It is being mailed out by TCM (or perhaps on their behalf), and a marketing/promotions company hosts the NPG and provides a unique personalized link for each of TCM's customers.  This personalized link is contained in the email TCM sends out, and is the only way to get to the NPG.  So both companies need to be on track with their inventory of active customers.

I don't see what the issue could be either.  As marketing and promotions is this other company's core business product, they should be all set to go with something like this.  Regrettably I didn't think to do any research on this other company when saw the link and had the chance to.

• Like 2

Day 27 and No Guide

Called an individual at the number provided on subscribe to NPG on tcm.com contact us questions section, Now Playing Guide. 

She answered "TCM," but after several minutes stated they are not part of TCM at all. They are the people in Palm Coast FL who handled the printed NPG.  She kept calling it the "viewers guide," but finally acknowledged it is the NPG.  They are getting out of the business of NPG, but are answering calls for a while longer.

Told me to go to tcm.com/nowplayingemail to subscribe.  I told her I had signed up several times already.  She came up with a lot of excuses as to why I wasn't receiving it and why other posters weren't without fully listening to what I was saying.

Finally understood that I had done everything I was supposed to, checked Spam every day, etc, etc. 

She also implied that it is only sent out the first of the month.  So if you sign up on the second you have to wait a month?

Bottom line:  Do NOT call 800-826-1002 to find out why not getting NPG email even though TCM site tells you to.

I went to the website and signed up again.  It states the guide is sent out on 1st and 15th.

It also shows a link for concerns re: the email NPG.  It goes to tcm.com's support center.  There are four "popular topics" questions re: NPG, they all send you to the sign up pages and the above useless phone number.

There is a number to call and leave a message that TCM may or may not answer at some point.  404-885-5535.  You can also write to Viewer Services in Atlanta, but they have never responded to any letter I have sent.

I called and left a message, but do not expect to get a return call.  If you call, do not contact the number they give you for NPG - that is the Palm Coast FL number.

It would be nice if an Administrator would contact TCM to find out what the problem is and what exactly is happening.  Then post an announcement.

• Like 2

Day 31 and NO NPG email.  Checked spam before deleting and it is never there.  Added tcm.com to contacts and that does not help.

Couple of days ago, sent message to an administrator to see if they could get any information from TCM.  No response.  No postings.

The tcm.com home site still asks people to sign up.

Just sent another email to contacts at tcm.com.  I used the General Questions topic and specifically asked that it not be forwarded to the Now Playing Guide whatever since that does not work.  

D***.  While I was typing the above, I got an automated email from tcm.com to sign up for PRINTED version of NPG through Palm Coast FL.

1:12 PM.  Sent another email to TCM (calling is useless).  Did not mention NPG anywhere in email, but referred to an email monthly schedule.

• Like 2

I also received no NOW PLAYING email for October.  The odd thing is that I received the previous ones at the email address I used when I signed up.

Why did they drop my email address after getting it right for the Sept. issue?????

It's bad enough that they cut me off from the printed edition of NOW PLAYING, which I loved and subscribed to for many years.  But now, they won't even send me the email version.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?????

• Like 3

I also received no NOW PLAYING email for October.  The odd thing is that I received the previous ones at the email address I used when I signed up.

Why did they drop my email address after getting it right for the Sept. issue?????

It's bad enough that they cut me off from the printed edition of NOW PLAYING, which I loved and subscribed to for many years.  But now, they won't even send me the email version.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?????

That is what nobody is addressing.  You would think somebody could do a simple email or a post on this site to explain what is happening.

• Like 1

That is what nobody is addressing.  You would think somebody could do a simple email or a post on this site to explain what is happening.

Well if someone wants to dig into this some more, get in touch with Mailchimp, with reference to the TCM NPG.  They are the company serving the online NPG.  TCM may have an iron-clad closed-mouth policy, but this is a different organization.

https://mailchimp.com/contact/

• Like 1

Well if someone wants to dig into this some more, get in touch with Mailchimp, with reference to the TCM NPG.  They are the company serving the online NPG.  TCM may have an iron-clad closed-mouth policy, but this is a different organization.

https://mailchimp.com/contact/

That is one alternative, but mailchimp is just the delivery mechanism.  TCM is the company that decided to do the email NPG and selected the company to "deliver" it.

If there is a problem at mailchimp, TCM should be referring people to it.  Instead they are referring you to the people in Palm Coast FL.

I googled mailchimp and from what I saw, it appears they are just the delivery system and they would probably say to contact TCM, if they responded at all.

I noticed that mailchimp is in Atlanta also, if that matters.

• Like 1

Well if someone wants to dig into this some more, get in touch with Mailchimp, with reference to the TCM NPG.  They are the company serving the online NPG.

Mailchimp? The name does not inspire confidence.

• Like 2

Mailchimp? The name does not inspire confidence.

A lot of dubious names out there for newer tech companies.  I don't believe this is anyone's last name.

• Like 1

Cid,

You've been a board member for a number of years now, and you are just discovering that trying to contact anyone at TCM is a useless boondoggle?

Though I shouldn't be surprised.

I had been a "fan" of TCM long before I ever joined these boards to ask a question about it. That question was promptly answered by Kyle of Hollywood, who sadly is no longer with us.

For years I was soothed by RO's presentations, and later Ben's, into believing that TCM had a somewhat paternal/fraternal relationship with it's viewers, and treated us with professional respect.  That was reinforced whenever I placed an order with TCM or renewed my subscription to the paper version of Now Playing.

It wasn't until about three years ago that I had a legitimate question that nobody here could answer. I was of course referred to the various channels of communication, and exhausted them all to no avail, as you are now doing.

It was somewhat of a shock to me then, that the organization to which I was endeared and had so respected would treat it's loyal fan and subscriber base in such a callous manner. And I remember  I was not only frustrated by the ordeal, but actually felt deceived, and  even hurt by the experience, in a similar manner as if a "trusted" family member had deliberately wronged me.

But after a few months of wasted effort, repeatedly emailing the various "Contact Us" links, calling ineffectual numbers, and writing letters that no one at TCM ever acknowledged nor responded to, I finally learned to accept that TCM has set up a communication barrier between themselves and us. 

It will sometimes generate a generic reply, never addressing the issue, but asking for me to join this or sign-up for that. It will accept an order from me if I want to purchase something. But that is the extent of it.

Posting about legitimate concerns regarding TCM on these boards is often far from cathartic. Sometimes we may receive some useful assistance from another board member, but more often than not, it just provides whatever comfort or misery that one derives from discovering that one is far from alone in this particular lack-of-communication quandary. 

Awhile back, before the "TCM Insider's Club" existed, there was a post from a person who actually spoke to someone of relative importance about a shared concern while on a TCM cruise. I've lost access to that thread, but I remember that the gist of the response was that the person spoken with was unaware of the issue/s and would look into it.

I don't recall any changes being made as result. But at the time a few of us commenting our thoughts stating that is apparently what was required to get through to TCM, you actually had to have an inside contact. Or join a cruise and hopefully have an opportunity to speak with someone about what was and wasn't happening at TCM.

A few of us even joined the "Insider's Club" with the false hope that it may provide a forum to address certain concerns that bothered many of us that regularly post here. Nothing came of that either, as the now defunct "Insider's Club" proved to be just another marketing scheme.

Apparently RO and BM, were totally oblivious to any of the legitimate issues presented, though they publicly promoted and endorsed some of the "flawed" products. That hasn't changed.

The impression that I have of TCM is that everything is going just fine, and they have insulated themselves from hearing anything to the contrary.

After years now, I have come to realize that TCM feels as if they owe their subscribers nothing, not even the courtesy of a reply.

Every now and then a board Moderator will post that they have forwarded a concern on to someone, somewhere, but rarely has anything been resolved beyond that.

I enjoyed Now Playing when I did receive it in the mail. But it's usefulness as an actual guide was limited due to programing revisions, and I learned to routinely cross check with the on-line schedules for more accurate information. The little informative bio's and crossword puzzle was missed, but then I have DuckDuckGo if I want to research something on-line.

I say all this because I have great empathy for anyone who is going through this for the first time.

I never try to discourage them from the effort, as there is always a possibility (however slight) that something at TCM will change, and someone may actually get a specific response from someone at TCM. And I would love to hear about that, when, or if, it ever happens.

But so far the posted results that have been repeated, again, and again, by frustrated members is always the same.

So try not to let your BP rise over this, it is not worth it.

Try to accept that the "special" nostalgic relationship that many of us believe we have developed with TCM over the years is strictly one-sided.

Despite lip service to the contrary, they are merely a corporation no different than too many others these days, and we are viewed by them on strictly a consumer basis. 

The only thing really different about TCM is the "leader" product that they "sell" is the movies that we have grown up with, that takes us back to some earlier nostalgic part of our lives.

Because we invite TCM into our homes, we grow to look at the "company" in a familial way. That is why it sometimes hurts us when we discover that all they want to do is gather information about us and sell us something else, maybe not in the commercial manner that we've grown accustomed, but it's all about money to them just the same.

So sit back, and have a glass of TCM wine, and relax.

Enjoy TCM for what it is, a channel that offers relatively "uncut and commercial free" programming, no more, or less.

Stay away from TCM ON-DEMAND, and learn to be cynically amused when you see such things that you can easily see through!

https://secure.palmcoastd.com/pcd/eServ?iServ=MDI2MzE1ODA5NA==

• Like 6

@Stephan55

Nice post with historical overview.  I especially like your conclusion:

"So sit back, and have a glass of TCM wine, and relax.

Enjoy TCM for what it is, a channel that offers relatively "uncut and commercial free" programming, no more, or less."

Spot on.

At least I don't think I've heard them use the overused corporate phrase "these are exciting times".  Or if they have, I filtered it out.

• Like 4

@Stephan55

Nice post with historical overview.  I especially like your conclusion:

"So sit back, and have a glass of TCM wine, and relax.

Enjoy TCM for what it is, a channel that offers relatively "uncut and commercial free" programming, no more, or less."

Spot on.

At least I don't think I've heard them use the overused corporate phrase "these are exciting times".  Or if they have, I filtered it out.

Good points.   Of course, the issue is why hasn't TCM at least let people know what is happening?

• Like 3

Good points.   Of course, the issue is why hasn't TCM at least let people know what is happening?

That is a question we all would like to know, that only they can answer, and they aren't talking. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Cid,

You've been a board member for a number of years now, and you are just discovering that trying to contact anyone at TCM is a useless boondoggle?

Though I shouldn't be surprised.

I had been a "fan" of TCM long before I ever joined these boards to ask a question about it. That question was promptly answered by Kyle of Hollywood, who sadly is no longer with us.

For years I was soothed by RO's presentations, and later Ben's, into believing that TCM had a somewhat paternal/fraternal relationship with it's viewers, and treated us with professional respect.  That was reinforced whenever I placed an order with TCM or renewed my subscription to the paper version of Now Playing.

It wasn't until about three years ago that I had a legitimate question that nobody here could answer. I was of course referred to the various channels of communication, and exhausted them all to no avail, as you are now doing.

It was somewhat of a shock to me then, that the organization to which I was endeared and had so respected would treat it's loyal fan and subscriber base in such a callous manner. And I remember  I was not only frustrated by the ordeal, but actually felt deceived, and  even hurt by the experience, in a similar manner as if a "trusted" family member had deliberately wronged me.

But after a few months of wasted effort, repeatedly emailing the various "Contact Us" links, calling ineffectual numbers, and writing letters that no one at TCM ever acknowledged nor responded to, I finally learned to accept that TCM has set up a communication barrier between themselves and us. 

It will sometimes generate a generic reply, never addressing the issue, but asking for me to join this or sign-up for that. It will accept an order from me if I want to purchase something. But that is the extent of it.

Posting about legitimate concerns regarding TCM on these boards is often far from cathartic. Sometimes we may receive some useful assistance from another board member, but more often than not, it just provides whatever comfort or misery that one derives from discovering that one is far from alone in this particular lack-of-communication quandary. 

Awhile back, before the "TCM Insider's Club" existed, there was a post from a person who actually spoke to someone of relative importance about a shared concern while on a TCM cruise. I've lost access to that thread, but I remember that the gist of the response was that the person spoken with was unaware of the issue/s and would look into it.

I don't recall any changes being made as result. But at the time a few of us commenting our thoughts stating that is apparently what was required to get through to TCM, you actually had to have an inside contact. Or join a cruise and hopefully have an opportunity to speak with someone about what was and wasn't happening at TCM.

A few of us even joined the "Insider's Club" with the false hope that it may provide a forum to address certain concerns that bothered many of us that regularly post here. Nothing came of that either, as the now defunct "Insider's Club" proved to be just another marketing scheme.

Apparently RO and BM, were totally oblivious to any of the legitimate issues presented, though they publicly promoted and endorsed some of the "flawed" products. That hasn't changed.

The impression that I have of TCM is that everything is going just fine, and they have insulated themselves from hearing anything to the contrary.

After years now, I have come to realize that TCM feels as if they owe their subscribers nothing, not even the courtesy of a reply.

Every now and then a board Moderator will post that they have forwarded a concern on to someone, somewhere, but rarely has anything been resolved beyond that.

I enjoyed Now Playing when I did receive it in the mail. But it's usefulness as an actual guide was limited due to programing revisions, and I learned to routinely cross check with the on-line schedules for more accurate information. The little informative bio's and crossword puzzle was missed, but then I have DuckDuckGo if I want to research something on-line.

I say all this because I have great empathy for anyone who is going through this for the first time.

I never try to discourage them from the effort, as there is always a possibility (however slight) that something at TCM will change, and someone may actually get a specific response from someone at TCM. And I would love to hear about that, when, or if, it ever happens.

But so far the posted results that have been repeated, again, and again, by frustrated members is always the same.

So try not to let your BP rise over this, it is not worth it.

Try to accept that the "special" nostalgic relationship that many of us believe we have developed with TCM over the years is strictly one-sided.

Despite lip service to the contrary, they are merely a corporation no different than too many others these days, and we are viewed by them on strictly a consumer basis. 

The only thing really different about TCM is the "leader" product that they "sell" is the movies that we have grown up with, that takes us back to some earlier nostalgic part of our lives.

Because we invite TCM into our homes, we grow to look at the "company" in a familial way. That is why it sometimes hurts us when we discover that all they want to do is gather information about us and sell us something else, maybe not in the commercial manner that we've grown accustomed, but it's all about money to them just the same.

So sit back, and have a glass of TCM wine, and relax.

Enjoy TCM for what it is, a channel that offers relatively "uncut and commercial free" programming, no more, or less.

Stay away from TCM ON-DEMAND, and learn to be cynically amused when you see such things that you can easily see through!

https://secure.palmcoastd.com/pcd/eServ?iServ=MDI2MzE1ODA5NA==

The wife is ticked off due to the same problem as many here, never getting the TCM email schedule. The fact she subscribed for years to receive it at home apparently means nothing to TCM which is why when we read your very astute take on the whole company structure, Stephan we agreed wholeheartedly.

The wife said it's all gone downhill since Robert Osborne died, and this is her theory, and by that she means in all ways except for the movies shown, since they were all made not by TCM but by giants of cinema mostly and even the channel cannot destroy such a product. At least not as yet. Choices made about certain on screen personages are a verboten topic so why go there as it will just be removed from view. One tries to understand the complete ignoring of fans who support the place but apparently unless one can travel and appear on the set as a paid friend they are considered meaningless collateral baggage. The wife says she's probably just going to start buying up all the dvd's of great films for her own stock library and won't need to watch anymore television. Well, time to go feed the dog, so thanks for listening. It's sad to see a great place killed by those who followed the originators but that's life I guess.

A bit O/T but I did see someone is doing something, related to the website.  There is a locked sticky thread in the off topic forum, stating that it will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday the 17th for maintenance.

• Like 1

A bit O/T but I did see someone is doing something, related to the website.  There is a locked sticky thread in the off topic forum, stating that it will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday the 17th for maintenance.

I wonder how long 'temporary' is.    E.g. the Jazz Guitar Forum posted last week they were going down for 'temporarily' for maintenance.

Each day I would try to log on and get that the website was 'down'.   This went on for 5 days.   In fact I just checked it and it is finally back up!      So in this case 'temporarily' was 5 day.  

PS:  While I could log on all I got was this message:

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait. All compatibility issues are fixed, we are just doing some fine-tuning now.

We will be back soon...

Oh well.    This is a great forum for jazz guitarist (free lessons from pros,  pros that chat with use wantabees,  cool tips etc...),   all for free,  so waiting is worth it!   

I wonder how long 'temporary' is.    E.g. the Jazz Guitar Forum posted last week they were going down for 'temporarily' for maintenance.

Each day I would try to log on and get that the website was 'down'.   This went on for 5 days.   In fact I just checked it and it is finally back up!      So in this case 'temporarily' was 5 day.  

PS:  While I could log on all I got was this message:

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait. All compatibility issues are fixed, we are just doing some fine-tuning now.

We will be back soon...

Oh well.    This is a great forum for jazz guitarist (free lessons from pros,  pros that chat with use wantabees,  cool tips etc...),   all for free,  so waiting is worth it!   

Sounds like they are just going through a punch list of things to get done.  Maybe fix a few things, maybe add a few features.  It can't hurt.