Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

The worst movie I have ever seen!

66 posts in this topic

The first "Independence Day" movie simply has plot holes big enough to fly a city killer through rather then being a bad movie.

Lets see, he interface his 1990's laptop to Alien Windows 10,000,000? :wacko:

By the way WHAT is their language - he deciphers it in a matter of hours????

virus.gif

I didn't mean to imply anything about present company! I was just sort of thinking out loud. I do agree there was some pretty heavy-handed symbolism or allegory going on in mother! (all Mother Earth/Jennifer Lawrence wanted was all those careless new arrivals to her home/planet to stay off that sink which wasn't braced yet!) But although I didn't really think it was very good, the film didn't anger me as much as it did you. At least it was trying to be different.

The first "Independence Day" movie simply has plot holes big enough to fly a city killer through rather then being a bad movie.

Lets see, he interface his 1990's laptop to Alien Windows 10,000,000? :wacko:

By the way WHAT is their language - he deciphers it in a matter of hours????

Yes, the plot holes were YUGE, but the dialogue was bad as were many of the performances. It was also overlong and highly derivative. But it was a massive hit, and the promotional push went to (at-the-time) new levels of obnoxiousness. I was managing a Blockbuster video at the time, and we were sent packets of mini-posters to display and pins to put on our shirts to push the theatrical release, not even the video release.

I can recall discussions me and co-workers had over which 1996 film would end being the most in-your-face, ubiquitously hawked movie of the year, Independence DayThe RockMission: Impossible, or Twister. They were inescapable. Of course, those marketing schemes became the norm, so much so that people usually just ignore it now.

After reading this film's "Critical response" part on its Wiki page, there sure seems to be quite the disparity of opinion stated by various film critics.

Could this be another film that in the future will gain a cult following and/or will begin being revisited and reassessed by cinemaphiles, I wonder?

(...it DOES seem whenever a film is released and receives such a wide range of opinions about it that that is often the case, doesn't it) 

Imagine the worst Requiem gave you and multiply the horror twentyfold. From what I read, this is an apocalyptic religious allegory that might start like Rosemary's Baby, but quickly delves into something far more disturbing and barbaric with sights on screen never imagined to be possible to be shown before in a major studio film. PM me if you want details to prepare yourself with. But I warn you, its barbaric.

I can't wait. I have a pretty strong stomach for the most graphic of horror films; though I do remember shrieking with disgust during the turtle scene in Cannibal Holocaust.

I can't wait. I have a pretty strong stomach for the most graphic of horror films; though I do remember shrieking with disgust during the turtle scene in Cannibal Holocaust.

There is a big difference between latex makeup and Karo syrup blood (or CGI, as the case may be now) and actual onscreen animal deaths.

I can handle graphic horror on the screen but hate to see animals get hurt even if it's make believe.  If animals are getting hurt in mother! I may pass on it.  I did like Requiem for a Dream even though it was pretty much a downer but Ellen Burstyn's  performance is excellent..

I can handle graphic horror on the screen but hate to see animals get hurt even if it's make believe.  If animals are getting hurt in mother! I may pass on it.  I did like Requiem for a Dream even though it was pretty much a downer but Ellen Burstyn's  performance is excellent..

I find a lot of old westerns more uncomfortable to watch than the most graphic horror films. The carnage in horror films is all make believe, make-up, fake blood, latex appliances, prop limbs, and the person being "hurt" is a performer that's just acting. This never escapes my mind, so when people get bent out of shape about violence in horror films, or other films, I find it odd since I personally can't get too upset over make believe. 

Now in old westerns, when I repeatedly see horses getting their legs swept out by trip wires and the like, or ridden into ditches, knowing how many got hurt for real, it's disturbing in a way that a phony murder isn't. But yet many of the people who complain about "violence" in movies (quotation marks because it's all fake) will watch westerns all day long without a thought.

• Like 1

Good point on the westerns, LawrenceA.  I often cringe nowadays when I watch a western and a horse topples over and I fear the worst.  There was no guardian group for the animals back in the old days.  I remember James Stewart's horse Pie and think he was one fortunate horse because he survived all those westerns with Jimmy and Jimmy loved him.

How do you feel about babies being hurt? As bad or worse?

Of course I don't want to see babies getting hurt.  What kind of monster do you think I am?  Geez...although, wait, I would not have minded seeing Rosemary's baby get hurt or Damien in THE OMEN.  I guess hurting demon babies in movies is OK but not innocent babies.

For real, I always felt badly for the toddler in THREE ON A MATCH because the kid was being so neglected.  Not physically hurt, but neglected just the same.  If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about.

Of course I don't want to see babies getting hurt.  What kind of monster do you think I am?  Geez...although, wait, I would not have minded seeing Rosemary's baby get hurt or Damien in THE OMEN.  I guess hurting demon babies in movies is OK but not innocent babies.

For real, I always felt badly for the toddler in THREE ON A MATCH because the kid was being so neglected.  Not physically hurt, but neglected just the same.  If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about.

Poor Frank Davis in the movie "It Lives Again" (1978) didn't want to see the mutant babies hurt, wound up getting his throat torn out by one of them.  That's the thanks he got.

its-alive-baby.jpg?w=1200

I forgot about IT LIVES.  Maybe it's just as well.

I really like "It Lives Again" (1978) sequel even though you don't see much of the infants. (budget restraints).  Something about the chemistry of the actors, the atmosphere and music by Bernard Herrmann.  Very low budget.

It's hard to imagine anyone with some age to them remembering for certain what the worst movie they'd ever seen is.

I've seen thousands of movies - and lots were not good movies at all. It doesn't help that our own memories tend to protect us by burying away these unpleasant episodes so that we won't be bothered by them anymore.

Having said that, there is one movie that always springs instantly to my mind whenever "worst movie" is mentioned. Anywhere.

I'm probably being unfair - but this was one movie that literally made me nauseous because of how insulting to my intelligence it was. Shallow, stupid, horribly-acted, horse**** garbage. I just can't remember this thing any other way - that's how offended I was by it.

It was 'Mystic Pizza' (1988). Other movies have disturbed me, but this is the one that insulted me so badly that I've held it in utter contempt for years. Lili Taylor is a decent actress - talented - but man, was she retaarded in this thing. Julia Roberts was in it too and gave a truly ridiculous performance that actually seemed to set the template for her style going forward.

Just mindless - brainless - goop for 9 year-old girls, but actually marketed to adults.

I didn't think MYSTIC PIZZA was that  bad, but wasn't really as "great" as a lot of critics led me to believe.  More "meh" to me than anything else, I at least can say I saw it, shrug my shoulders and easily pass it up if there's ever a night I'm looking to see if there's a movie on somewhere an it's all that's available. 

I have to admit though, that the pizza DID look pretty good!  ;)

One movie that thoroughly bored me to the bottom of my bowels and was highly heralded and I also considered a HUGE disappointment in spite of otherwise brilliant perfomances by it's principals, was THE HOURS.

Sepiatone

Of course I don't think you're a monster!

I have seen THREE ON A MATCH. Great Pre-Code. I agree that poor kid was in bad shape. What I think about is how, in those days, that child would have been sent on his way to live his life. Now he'd have years of therapy.

I've read about what you are referring to, and it does sound rough. There's one movie that I've read about but never seen, and if the ending is anything like what I've read it was, it is the most depraved thing ever released. I won't describe it, but the movie is A Serbian Film (2010). If anyone has seen it, they can chime in as to whether it's as insanely grotesque as it sounds.

I've read about what you are referring to, and it does sound rough. There's one movie that I've read about but never seen, and if the ending is anything like what I've read it was, it is the most depraved thing ever released. I won't describe it, but the movie is A Serbian Film (2010). If anyone has seen it, they can chime in as to whether it's as insanely grotesque as it sounds.

We watched it on YouTube about a year ago. It's a horror movie is about a how man ends up being in snuff films and the catastrophic consequences in his personal life. The movie includes explicit sex, graphic violence, and pedophilia. In one scene the man kills a woman and the has sex with the corpse. There's also children watching adults filming sex, and a newborn is molested. All of this is being filmed by the snuff crew. The ending was depressing, and then it turned shocking. It's Saw on acid.

Any human, social or political message the movie tried to convey it's overwhelmed by all the gore and disturbing images. We were watching the horror the man was going through with horror.

I don't know if the copy is still up, in case someone wants to check it out. It's nobody's idea of a good time, so just keep in mind it's only a movie.

I would rather sit through an Ed Wood marathon than see How to Commit Marriage ​again...I think it's particularly bad for the waste of some talent in the cast (Jackie Gleason, Bob Hope, Jane Wyman) in such a painfully unfunny, unlikeable crappy movie.  At least with 'bad'  films like ​The Horror of Party Beach, ​you know it's schlock  and that's why it's entertaining.  

I would rather sit through an Ed Wood marathon than see How to Commit Marriage ​again...I think it's particularly bad for the waste of some talent in the cast (Jackie Gleason, Bob Hope, Jane Wyman) in such a painfully unfunny, unlikeable crappy movie.  At least with 'bad'  films like ​The Horror of Party Beach, ​you know it's schlock  and that's why it's entertaining.  

How about a Pauly Shore marathon? :lol:

How about a Pauly Shore marathon? :lol:

well, now you're talking cruel and inhuman...surely there' a law against it... B) 

• Like 1

I can't really drag up any movie that I paid to see that was truly horrible I have to say that yesterday's offering of Zsa Zsa Gabor in "Queen of Outer Space" would meet the criteria.  It was so bad that I don't understand how the actors were able to get through it with a straight face. 

Knowing how horrible it would be I still watched the opening scenes just to get an idea of the "kitsch" involved and still find it incredulous that anyone would spend money making the movie let alone spending money to see it. 

I noticed in the last several weeks TV viewers are being bombarded with movie adverts and I truly don't see one film that even rises to a curiosity other than the Judy Dench "Victoria and Abdul" film.  However the film appears to be redundant to the one with Queen Victoria and her Scottish Bodyguard, so in keeping with kitsch...been there, seen that. 

Emily

I may get killed for this but I'd pick the Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) directed by Terry Gilliam. I just don't get it, although I know people love it.

The only movie I ever walked out on was Ryan's Daughter. I was really bored and then they put up an "Intermission" title card and I realized there was more. I couldn't stand it. Good-bye. That's the only time I've ever left a theater during a movie