Sign in to follow this  
GGGGerald

Is this Fred and Ginger ? What film ?

6 posts in this topic

At the :50 mark, both are wearing black and seem to be doing some Spanish dance. What film is this ?

I thought I had seen all their films but, apparently not. I don't remember this scene at all.

Thanks in advance :)

- I can't see what you're saying. But just from the description it sounds like it's from Vernon and Irene Castle. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers portraying real life ballroom dancers.

I'll try to check it out to make sure.

Yes that's what it is and they're doing the Tango. It's the only time in which Fred Astaire actually copies another dancer's Style.

Vernon and Irene Castle were a married couple who were the first dancers to popularize ballroom dancing in America. And they were also Pioneers in commercial marketing in that they sold products promoting themselves and their dances.

Vernon taught Arthur Murray who continued this style of dance with all those dance studios and the television show.

Fred Astaire probably was the last great Ballroom dancer who captured the interest of the world.

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle was the last Fred and Ginger RKO movie made in 1939.

This was the Fred and Ginger movie that I saw the most when I was growing up because for some reason they had it on The Late Show all the time.

Thanks folks !

I've only seen that film once. And I don't remember that dance. I'll have to rewatch it a few hundred times !

Sorry, I misinterpreted your OP.  Princess of Tap is right.  It's Ginger and Fred in The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939), dancing a tango.