Sign in to follow this  
im4cinema2

Most Favorite Music Accompaniment To Silents

6 posts in this topic

While watching a silent film which do you like most to hear play? A grand Wurlitzer Theatre Organ, a solo piano, A full orchestra, small jazz ensemble or added sound effects like horns and whistles.

My own choice would be a theatre organ.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:28 AM, im4cinema2 said:

While watching a silent film which do you like most to hear play? A grand Wurlitzer Theatre Organ, a solo piano, A full orchestra, small jazz ensemble or added sound effects like horns and whistles.

My own choice would be a theatre organ.

If it's orchestral, it must be Carl Davis or Robert Israel.

For piano/organ it must be Gaylord Carter, Ben Model, Donald Sosin, David Drazin, Philip Carli.

As the punishment should fit the crime, so should the music fit the film.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's anyone else who does what I do...? It's going to sound bad but it's true--

I always mute the sound when I'm watching a silent film at home. I don't like the music accompaniment because too often I feel it either contradicts the visuals or tries to overpower the visuals. Also, I think that for something to truly be a silent film, it has to be watched in silence. The visuals are the primary concern. Sound of any kind should not be part of it.

Please don't pelt me with too many tomatoes. LOL

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 12:53 PM, TopBilled said:

I wonder if there's anyone else who does what I do...? It's going to sound bad but it's true--

I always mute the sound when I'm watching a silent film at home. I don't like the music accompaniment because too often I feel it either contradicts the visuals or tries to overpower the visuals. Also, I think that for something to truly be a silent film, it has to be watched in silence. The visuals are the primary concern. Sound of any kind should not be part of it.

I have to disagree. When viewing silents I usually enjoy some kind of soundtrack to get a good feel for what is happening on screen. I do agree the music can be distracting if it is not well composed though. I saw Nosferatu on a PBS channel a couple of weeks ago and the music was just loud and obnoxious. It really took me away from what was happening on screen. My favorite silent soundtracks are Huppertz's Metropolis soundtrack and the ones Chaplin composed for his films. I also like when they rearrange classical pieces for a silent movie's soundtrack. I saw Battleship Potemkin earlier today on TCM and the Shostakovich symphonic music used really suited it well. I particularly liked the used of his 5th Symphony for the dramatic parts.

On October 1, 2017 at 1:53 PM, TopBilled said:

I do the same thing. Lets me focus all my attention on what is on the screen, every slight motion, every expression- thats music enough for me :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Natalie Webb said:

I do the same thing. Lets me focus all my attention on what is on the screen, every slight motion, every expression- thats music enough for me :)

Couldn't have expressed it better!