Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Movie Moments of Men Going Their Own Way

55 posts in this topic

Well, you learn something new every day. I'd happily spent my whole life never having heard of MGTOW, but about 10 seconds of Internet research reveals it's a woman-hating movement.

• Like 2

Well, you learn something new every day. I'd happily spent my whole life never having heard of MGTOW, but about 10 seconds of Internet research reveals it's a woman-hating movement.

Or quite possibly the correct acronym should be MWNMTS (Men Who Never Manage To Score)  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You never heard of them because they never leave their basements. Run over to https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/ where they all post. It is truly a disturbing experience to read what they think. Should really be labelled "Men Who Cannot Get a Woman and Blame it All on Women".  Of the ten movies, some of the modern ones I did not recognize, but I love Nicholson's line on how he writes about women so well - "I think of a man and take away reason and accountability". Sounds like my husband's first wife.

But seriously, isn't George Sanders essentially playing a MGTOW in about half of his films?

• Like 3

They're the other side of the coin from the man-hating "feminists".

Just another hate group. The internet is full of them and some of them come to these boards. They should keep their pollution in the Off Topics section.

If you can, poke fun at these clowns who, due to their bitterness, take themselves way too seriously.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Should've looked a little harder. There's a great many people who are threatened by the idea of men keeping their resources to themselves and the anger that that fear produces tends to make those people lash out with a great deal of hate. So, if looking for links to explain what men going their own way represents, you'll see an awful lot of links of condemnation. 

Men Going Their Own Way is a lifestyle - it's not based on hate; it's based on selfishness. 

Men Going Their Own Way is a statement of self-ownership, where the modern man preserves and protects his own sovereignty above all else. It is the manifestation of one word: “No”.

Ejecting silly preconceptions and cultural definitions of what a “man” is. Looking to no one else for social cues. Refusing to bow, serve and kneel for the opportunity to be treated like a disposable utility. And, living according to his own best interests in a world which would rather he didn’t.

While that is exactly what MGTOW is, most people just say it's "misogyny".

All of the movie scenes presented in the original post are of men who go their own way and are not dissuaded from doing so by disapproving women or their white knights.

Should've looked a little harder. There's a great many people who are threatened by the idea of men keeping their resources to themselves and the anger that that fear produces tends to make those people lash out with a great deal of hate. So, if looking for links to explain what men going their own way represents, you'll see an awful lot of links of condemnation. 

Men Going Their Own Way is a lifestyle - it's not based on hate; it's based on selfishness. 

Men Going Their Own Way is a statement of self-ownership, where the modern man preserves and protects his own sovereignty above all else. It is the manifestation of one word: “No”.

Ejecting silly preconceptions and cultural definitions of what a “man” is. Looking to no one else for social cues. Refusing to bow, serve and kneel for the opportunity to be treated like a disposable utility. And, living according to his own best interests in a world which would rather he didn’t.

All of the movie scenes presented in the original post are of men who go their own way and are not dissuaded from doing so by disapproving women or their white knights.

When I first read this post, I didn't watch the clip but immediately thought of Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind-- I watched the clip and Rhett was included. 

I haven't read anything about MGTOW, but just assumed by the title that it was a group that encouraged men to eschew romantic relationships and marriage and live independently as to hopefully avoid the complications that can arise later like divorce, child support, etc.  As a woman, even I would agree that men seem to get the short end of the stick oftentimes in divorce and child support settlements.  A woman has to be a real screw-up for a judge to grant the husband sole custody of the children, for example.  Without having done any research about this group, this is what I am assuming is the idea of the group.  Of course, like with most ideas, I'm sure there are those that take the idea to the extreme.  Looking at the Reddit threads, there are many men on there who just sound bitter.  If they truly disdain women, then just move on with life and stop obsessing over them.  There is also a difference between making a conscious decision to not be in a relationship with women and hating women.  If a guy decides he doesn't want to marry or date a woman, but otherwise treats women he encounters in life (like at work, for example) courteously, I don't see any issues with that.  It's his prerogative.  Women are often lauded for making the same decision. 

In regard to MGTOW in movies:

Aside from Rhett Butler.

Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.  Sure, he is involved with Ingrid Bergman in the flashback scene and he toys with the idea of succumbing to her advances when she shows up to Rick's, but ultimately, he sends her packing in the famous ending scene and walks off into the fog with Claude Rains ready to join the fight against the Germans in German-occupied France.  I get the sense that Bergman's betrayal was too much for Bogart and he'll probably not get entangled with another woman again.

Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.  Sure, he is involved with Ingrid Bergman in the flashback scene and he toys with the idea of succumbing to her advances when she shows up to Rick's, but ultimately, he sends her packing in the famous ending scene and walks off into the fog with Claude Rains ready to join the fight against the Germans in German-occupied France.  I get the sense that Bergman's betrayal was too much for Bogart and he'll probably not get entangled with another woman again.

Like Captain Renault you're not buying Rick's 'hill of beans' speech.    ;)

• Like 1

I was actually going to say that most of the guys in the film clips may literally be "men going their own way", but do not share the characteristics of the guys posting on the reddit threads for MGTOW. These fellows, to be going their own way without women, spend a tremendous amount of time talking badly about women. If they intend to live without women, to not have children, to not marry, to keep their resources for themselves, why is every thread about how bad women are? I intend to have nothing to do with coyotes. I thus don't spend my time thinking about them or conversing about them with others. Take this thread for instance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/comments/6ilt33/what_shocked_you_most_about_women/

Every man who posts there - 1376 of them to be exact - has something bad to say about women. If they intend to leave them alone, why do they obsess over them?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, speedracer5 said:

there are many men on there who just sound bitter.  

I'm sure some of them are bitter. Many people - both male and female - are embittered by bad experience; by what they perceive as injustice.

If they truly disdain women, then just move on with life and stop obsessing over them

"Disdain" and "obsessing" might be your point of view.

Discussing something they think is important - alerting others to what they feel should be considered - may be their point of view.

I intend to have nothing to do with coyotes.

That is one of the main things said by a MGTOW.       :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, calvinnme said:

I intend to have nothing to do with coyotes. I thus don't spend my time thinking about them or conversing about them with others. 

Coyotes don't play any part in our lives or in the law of the land. Coyotes have no expectations of people. Coyotes are not hazardous to the welfare and resources of very many men.

There's no reason for guys to talk about coyotes - or even to take notice of them whatsoever.

Women, however, are very much a concern. They are all around us. Everywhere. And they expect things. Lots and lots of things.

Women making fools out of men - female nature and its machinations getting them to do things that are very unwise  - is nothing new. 

i-claudius-artwork.jpg

But feminism as the law of the land is.And so, men are responding with a lifestyle - one that was once an extreme minority approach known as confirmed bachelorhood.

And it's now growing wide enough that people are noticing.

This seems to be steering into off-topic, so though there's a lot more I could say, I will limit this post so that it's at least tangentially related to something said in a movie:  I would like to say I'm a confirmed bachelor, and when I saw Up in the Air, I found a lot of the things George Clooney said in his little monologue to Anna Kendrick hilariously refreshing, and some of his ideas ring true to my own experience. American mainstream romantic movies virtually always end in marriage. For years, Hugh Grant was the avatar of the confirmed bachelor in films like About a Boy, and again, I would find his resistance to the concept of marriage refreshing, though he'd always get sucked in in the end.

BUT I wouldn't in any way ally myself with MGTOW, which appears to me to be driven by hate and ugliness. I'm a bachelor because that's how I like it and not because I need to show women (whom I'm quite sure don't care, anyway) that I'm superior to them in any way. MGTOW seems driven one hundred per cent by male fear, insecurity and bitterness, despite what its proponents claim.

This sort of thing, the thought that people and of both sexes "get hurt" and/or feel they're getting the shaft after a failed relationship, always brings the addition following thought to my mind:

WELL, EVIDENTLY YOU WERE DUMB ENOUGH TO MARRY AND/OR HAVE A LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM/HER, NOW WEREN'T YOU? SO WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT SAY ABOUT YOUR LACK OF BEING A PERCEPTIVE INDIVIDUAL AND MAKING CORRECT CHOICES WITH YOUR LIFE, I WONDER?!

(...the above was capitalized in order to convey how truly adamant I feel about this sort of thing and about the whiners/losers that I'VE perceived seem to be the bulk of people with this little complaint/lament...and in fact, and while it's never made me a whole lot of friends, is a thought that I've never been shy about expressing to those who've come complaining about their exes to me)

• Like 1

This sort of thing, the thought that people and of both sexes "get hurt" and/or feel they're getting the shaft after a failed relationship, always brings the addition following thought to my mind:

WELL, YOU WERE DUMB ENOUGH TO MARRY HIM/HER, NOW WEREN'T YOU? SO WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT SAY ABOUT YOUR LACK OF BEING A PERCEPTIVE INDIVIDUAL, I WONDER?!

(...the above was capitalized in order to convey how truly adamant I feel about this this sort of thing and about the whiners/losers that I'VE perceived seem to be the bulk of people with this little complaint)

The thing is, people change over time. Let me tell you a true story. Somebody I knew in college got a job with GTE in San Angelo. A year later he brings back this San Angelo simple country girl to meet us. She had just a HS degree and was working in retail and seemed to have no real career goals, BUT she was only 20. 25 years later she gives my friend, now her husband of 25 years an ultimatum - either they move to wherever she can get into medical school OR they get a divorce. He was a 48 year old exec at Verizon! Why would he leave a  job when he was at the peak of his career? She probably wanted him to say no because she probably wanted the divorce. Texas is a community property state. She took half of their substantial savings, managed to put herself through medical school on it and buy a house with cash after she finished her internship and moved to Minnesota. Oh, and part of that settlement was half of his mother's estate which is ironic because their unexpected and WWIII like divorce is part of what put his mother in the grave in the first place. Fortunately their kids were grown so no child support. So with stories like this in circulation - and I can't be the only person who knows one - I can see why men would be gun shy about marriage and especially kids. But if you decide to stay away from women I don't see the need or the productivity of all of the hate on these reddit threads.

And like somebody said below we are getting off topic for General Discussions, so let me wind it up with a movie analogy. Apparently this problem has been going on a long time if you watch 1967's "Divorce American Style" where the ex husband lives in poverty and at that time the wives continue to live in the large family home, not employed, and everybody seems OK with that.

The thing is, people change over time. Let me tell you a true story. Somebody I knew in college got a job with GTE in San Angelo. A year later he brings back this San Angelo simple country girl to meet us. She had just a HS degree and was working in retail and seemed to have no real career goals, BUT she was only 20. 25 years later she gives my friend, now her husband of 25 years an ultimatum - either they move to wherever she can get into medical school OR they get a divorce. He was a 48 year old exec at Verizon! Why would he leave a  job when he was at the peak of his career? She probably wanted him to say no because she probably wanted the divorce. Texas is a community property state. She took half of their substantial savings, managed to put herself through medical school on it and buy a house with cash after she finished her internship and moved to Minnesota. Oh, and part of that settlement was half of his mother's estate which is ironic because their unexpected and WWIII like divorce is part of what put his mother in the grave in the first place. Fortunately their kids were grown so no child support. So with stories like this in circulation - and I can't be the only person who knows one - I can see why men would be gun shy about marriage and especially kids. But if you decide to stay away from women I don't see the need or the productivity of all of the hate on these reddit threads.

And like somebody said below we are getting off topic for General Discussions, so let me wind it up with a movie analogy. Apparently this problem has been going on a long time if you watch 1967's "Divorce American Style" where the ex husband lives in poverty and at that time the wives continue to live in the large family home, not employed, and everybody seems OK with that.

Hey calvinnme!

See the part of your story I took the liberty to place in both bold lettering and in larger font?

Well, as I see it, THERE was the problem with THAT relationship.

(...people getting married before they have enough life experiences under their belt and/or knowing what they truly want in life in order to make good choices about who they'll want to share the rest of their life with)

Hey calvinnme!

See the part of your story I took the liberty to place in both bold lettering and in larger font?

Well, as I see it, THERE was the problem with THAT relationship.

(...people getting married before they have enough life experiences under their belt and/or knowing what they truly want in life in order to make good choices about who they'll want to share the rest of their life with)

Agreed. And today a 20 year old girl getting married might be considered a recipe for disaster, but in 1980 it was par for the course. I had a friend who married at 21 to a guy who was only 20. Today, 38 years later, they are still happily married. In 1981, when I turned 23 and was not married, I had people openly calling me an old maid and my parents began to get visibly worried.

Agreed. And today a 20 year old girl getting married might be considered a recipe for disaster, but in 1980 it was par for the course. I had a friend who married at 21 to a guy who was only 20. Today, 38 years later, they are still happily married. In 1981, when I turned 23 and was not married, I had people openly calling me an old maid and my parents began to get visibly worried.

Just a guess here calvinnme, but I'll bet your formative years took place within the more "traditional" confines of this vast country of ours, didn't it.

Yep, it seemed even as late of the 1980s in those sorts of locations, women who weren't "hitched" by the time of their mid-twenties, and especially in "small town America" within those more "traditional" regions, were considered verging on "ol maid"-hood.

(...still though, I'm glad to read your friends have apparently beaten the odds, AND that you were evidently strong enough of mind to have resisted the peer-pressure to marry someone who while it might have satisfied your parents' and friends' feelings to conform to their traditions, might not have been a good choice for a life partner)