Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

HOLLYWOOD & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

367 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

OPINION: Cinematic Injustice — Oscar Nominated ‘Darkest Hour’ Leaves Out A Key Element https://trib.al/R2aLqAq 

DV7OtNiX4AEPxia.jpg

Excerpt...

In Darkest Hour, Churchill also mentions his service during the Boer War of 1899-1902

The average reaction to that.

wrench-fig05_x002.jpg

fighting-wild-boars-8552487.jpg

Humor aside, that is more likely the most forgotten war in modern times.  Doubt if that is taught in school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

The_Second_Boer_War,_1899-1902_Q72131.jp

slide_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Excerpt...

In Darkest Hour, Churchill also mentions his service during the Boer War of 1899-1902

wrench-fig05_x002.jpg

Humor aside, that is more likely the most forgotten war in modern times.  Doubt if that is taught in school.

slide_1.jpg

In our schools colonialism is taught along with Rudyard Kipling and discussions of international racism. This is taught in world history along with discussions about white European powers dividing Africa in the 19th century,  the gentlemen's agreement with Japan1907, imperialism in China and the Total Conquest of India by Great Britain.

Colonialism has always been taught in schools; maybe you missed it.

12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

In our schools colonialism is taught along with Rudyard Kipling and discussions of international racism. This is taught in world history along with discussions about white European powers dividing Africa in the 19th century,  the gentlemen's agreement with Japan1907, imperialism in China and the Total Conquest of India by Great Britain.

Colonialism has always been taught in schools; maybe you missed it.

The Boer War was never mentioned while I was in school. The first time hearing any REFERENCE was in "The Little Princess" (1939)

• Thanks 1

I'm talking about colonialism. That's what the Boer war is all about.  World history is required in our state, maybe it wasn't required in yours.

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

Excerpt...

wrench-fig05_x002.jpg

slide_1.jpg

This was the first war to use concentration camps and is thought to have influenced Hitler and Mussolini's use of them.

13 hours ago, hamradio said:

The Boer War was never mentioned while I was in school. The first time hearing any REFERENCE was in "The Little Princess" (1939)

But did you ever study colonialism: International racism?

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Boor vs. Boer.

Or BORE.

There was never any concentration on colonialism in my school's world history classes either.  AMERICAN history though, as colonialism weighs in heavily in it.  We learned more about that sort of thing in Literature class due to reading works like GUNGA DIN and such. ;)

Sepiatone

16 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Or BORE.

There was never any concentration on colonialism in my school's world history classes either.  AMERICAN history though, as colonialism weighs in heavily in it.  We learned more about that sort of thing in Literature class due to reading works like GUNGA DIN and such. ;)

Sepiatone

Would you believe in the 1960s we were still reading stuff by Kipling like "White Man's Burden" without any kind of critical analysis?

A few years back they did a fantastic PBS docudrama adapted from the play "My Boy Jack". The play by David Haig was based on the poem by Kipling of the same name.

It's about Kipling's young son, whom he forced into World War I with his  imperialistic jingoism, even though the young man was just about  legally blind. Jack lost his glasses in trench warfare and was killed-- unable to even know what was going on around him.

Daniel Radcliffe starred as Jack in the 2007 TV movie.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

But did you ever study colonialism: International racism?

We studied past empires that has risen and fallen, the only colonialism that were taught as bad were ours.  Racism, never. Strange enough the history of my own state of West Virginia was never covered and didn't start become part of the high school curriculum until around the late 1970's.

My elementary school was like what you see in the old sitcoms, just the basics covering as they use to phrase "the 3 R's".  Math was never above multiplying and dividing 

High school didn't require algebra or a 2nd language to graduate.

oldclassroom.jpg

Just now, Sepiatone said:

Or BORE.

Sepiatone

Winston could swing both ways--boor and bore. 

Our history was much sanitized. I don't even think it would be called history today.

It was basically a celebration of all things American. Amuricans were the greatest

collection of people ever to set foot on God's green Earth. Yes, Miss Landers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Winston could swing both ways--boor and bore. 

Our history was much sanitized. I don't even think it would be called history today.

It was basically a celebration of all things American. Amuricans were the greatest

collection of people ever to set foot on God's green Earth. Yes, Miss Landers.

but it is true that the positives of our 240 year legacy far, far outweigh the negatives.

america attained flight and space travel.

the left minimizes it all as a pretext to denigration...for heaven sakes why?

highlight a past civilization, nation or power with a better record.

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

We studied past empires that has risen and fallen, the only colonialism that were taught as bad were ours.  Racism, never. Strange enough the history of my own state of West Virginia was never covered and didn't start become part of the high school curriculum until around the late 1970's.

My elementary school was like what you see in the old sitcoms, just the basics covering as they use to phrase "the 3 R's".  Math was never above multiplying and dividing 

High school didn't require algebra or a 2nd language to graduate.

oldclassroom.jpg

My elementary school class was a lot like the one in Leave It to Beaver.

In the fourth and fifth grades we had to study Kansas history, " Bleeding Kansas",  which included John Brown and his quest to make Kansas a free state.  In junior high school we had to study this again plus City and County Government.

In high school, algebra, geometry and foreign language were only required for students who were going to go to college.

I remember getting in trouble because I had refused to take geometry and they had to twist my arm. LOL But I never liked math.

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

but it is true that the positives of our 240 year legacy far, far outweigh the negatives.

I don't know if landing a man on the man cancels a long history of slavery and

segregation. All powerful past civilizations have their moral flaws, often quite

glaring. I doubt Americans are any better or worse than their predecessors. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't know if landing a man on the man cancels a long history of slavery and

segregation. All powerful past civilizations have their moral flaws, often quite

glaring. I doubt Americans are any better or worse than their predecessors. 

Yeah, our legacy consists of many things that aren't so nice, to put it delicately.  But there are great achievements by many Americans including those who've been subjected to awful cruelties.  It's like we've accomplished greatness in spite of ourselves.  

25 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yeah, our legacy consists of many things that aren't so nice, to put it delicately.  But there are great achievements by many Americans including those who've been subjected to awful cruelties.  It's like we've accomplished greatness in spite of ourselves.  

Something what Carl Sagan said just came to mind.

2069828-Carl-Sagan-Quote-You-re-capable-

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

The left aren't trying to get rid of "flight and space travel" and don't denigrate those as bad. They are against the racism, slavery, native american genocide, high crime numbers and violence that has plagued America. You can call out the racism and imperialism without wanting to denigrate the positive accomplishments of space travel.