Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

HOLLYWOOD NEWS

137 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The latest 'oh, my,  this actress got less money than this man' with Wahlberg and Williams sounds like just more BS crying by women.

The real questions here are:  Why did Williams agent accept what appears to be very low pay?   Was it because her prior contract include re-shoots as part of the terms,   but Wahlberg's didn't?     

The question is NOT: why did they low ball Williams?    This re-shoot, due to removing Kevin Spacey from the film, cost the studio a lot of money;  the job of the producers and director is to keep cost as low as possible.    

When compensation is based on negotiation there is NO concept of too-little or too-much paid.  It is what one can negotiate.     So to me the only one at fault here is Williams' agent;  all the agent had to do was demand that Williams receives 80% of whatever Wahlberg gets for the re-shoot.   Especially in this case where to remove Williams from the film just wasn't an option.  I.e. ALL the ace cards were with Williams' agents:  the clown just didn't know how to play poker!!!!

Williams was represented by the same agency as Wahlberg. Williams agreed to come back to reshoot the scenes for virtually nothing because she's a team player and wanted to get the film completed. Wahlberg refused to return unless paid at least $1 million. 

I would also point out that Williams did not bring up this pay disparity. It was someone else who discovered the details and reported it. As far as I've seen, Williams has repeated that she didn't ask for more pay, so she's not upset about this situation, even if it looks sketchy in print.

It's also ironic that Wahlberg won the dubious distinction of being the most overpaid Hollywood performer for 2017. That "award" goes to the actor or actress who has the worst return on investment between salary and eventual box office take.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Williams was represented by the same agency as Wahlberg. Williams agreed to come back to reshoot the scenes for virtually nothing because she's a team player and wanted to get the film completed. Wahlberg refused to return unless paid at least $1 million. 

I would also point out that Williams did not bring up this pay disparity. It was someone else who discovered the details and reported it. As far as I've seen, Williams has repeated that she didn't ask for more pay, so she's not upset about this situation, even if it looks sketchy in print.

It's also ironic that Wahlberg won the dubious distinction of being the most overpaid Hollywood performer for 2017. That "award" goes to the actor or actress who has the worst return on investment between salary and eventual box office take.

Thanks for those details that I wasn't aware of.    I see that I was wrong to single out Williams' agent since both agent and Williams got what they wanted.     

But it does make the point that women activist are using this as "fake news" to make a point about lack of 'equal' pay.   E.g. there was an article on CNN by an angry women that bordered on the insane.     It only looks sketchy in print because most of the media is misusing this to advance an agenda.  E.g. my local papered covered this and didn't mention anything about what you posted here.   All they did was state the dollar differences and with the implication something very bad was going on here.

PS:  I don't know if I should praise Wahlberg or think he is a skunk (ha ha).   Like I stated the producers really had no leverage (other than just leaving Spacey in which is what I believe they should have done).   So did Wahlberg play hardball just because he could or was he making a political point as well (that an actor shouldn't be taken out of a film for 'conduct' and if you want me to help you do that,,,  well it is going to cost you, big time!).

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for those details that I wasn't aware of.    I see that I was wrong to single out Williams' agent since both agent and Williams got what they wanted.     

But it does make the point that women activist are using this as "fake news" to make a point about lack of 'equal' pay.   E.g. there was an article on CNN by an angry women that bordered on the insane.     It only looks sketchy in print because most of the media is misusing this to advance an agenda.  E.g. my local papered covered this and didn't mention anything about what you posted here.   All they did was state the dollar differences and with the implication something very bad was going on here.

PS:  I don't know if I should praise Wahlberg or think he is a skunk (ha ha).   Like I stated the producers really had no leverage (other than just leaving Spacey in which is what I believe they should have done).   So did Wahlberg play hardball just because he could or was he making a political point as well (that an actor shouldn't be taken out of a film for 'conduct' and if you want me to help you do that,,,  well it is going to cost you, big time!).

I think Wahlberg, and his agent, were just trying to get as much money as possible. I don't blame them, since that's what they are after, and Wahlberg certainly has never pretended to be an "artist for art's sake" kind of person, which is more of how Michelle Williams comes across, as she frequently makes indie films for next to nothing. Now that you mention it, in none of the articles on this subject that I have seen have there been quotes from either Wahlberg or Williams specifically about Spacey, or their thoughts on him or the situation.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think Wahlberg, and his agent, were just trying to get as much money as possible. I don't blame them, since that's what they are after, and Wahlberg certainly has never pretended to be an "artist for art's sake" kind of person, which is more of how Michelle Williams comes across, as she frequently makes indie films for next to nothing. Now that you mention it, in none of the articles on this subject that I have seen have there been quotes from either Wahlberg or Williams specifically about Spacey, or their thoughts on him or the situation.

Wahlberg just announced he is donating the 1.5 million,  in Williams name, to assist victims of sexual harassment.

Got to  hand it to him for this one.     Those women activist that completely, and incorrectly used this event to try to advance their agenda are looking like real dummies. 

But I will admit that I don't agree with the concept of equal-pay-for-equal-work for negotiated high valued contract.    

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

Hollywood gets rude wake-up call from Americans about biased & boring movies at the box office http://dlvr.it/QBswfm 

DT5hJ-EU0AA5FQo.jpg

serves 'em right! they have left everyone but millennials behind now we shall leave them behind.

you just cannot narrow the subject matter of 99% of your film output to captain planet weaned teenagers and not damage something.

not everybody is into talking space raccoons.

• Like 1

the raccoon wants to know how contemporary hollywood reasoned that sentient animals would behave like millennial generation earth humans.

Image result for guardians of the galaxy raccoon

49 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

Hollywood gets rude wake-up call from Americans about biased & boring movies at the box office http://dlvr.it/QBswfm 

DT5hJ-EU0AA5FQo.jpg

the message ain't really gonna help because today's hollywood schtootzes wouldn't know how to make good films anyway lacking the skills to do so.

congratulations, hollywood is destroyed.

1 hour ago, JakeHolman said:

I hope Reagan gets an Oscar. Bedtime for Bonzo is truly a golden age classic of the silver screen. :lol::D