Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

----Haxan----tonight on the Underground.

26 posts in this topic

Don't miss this fascinating silent cult film from 1922 playing tonight (dec 21st) on TCM Underground.

This film is out on DVD but very expensive. I know my DVD burner will be working the late shift.

TCM Underground has been playing some great films. Thanks for digging this one up. I have always wanted to see it.

love

kpr

about this pic,,,,,,, oh about 15 years ago this movie was rediscovered. Nobody had seen a good print of it for 50 years at least. Anyway it was thought to be laughable. I attended one of the first screenings after it was discovered. There was titles only in danish language so an interpreter was hired to read out loud thru a microphone. Seeing a film in a theater is much more personal and so I was watching the audience as well as the movie. It started out ok but about an hour into it, the audience became jittery. at about 90 min the theater was in a panic. fright. the movie did its magic. It was not laughable. I turned around & looked at the audience & I swear it looked as if they were floating in the air!

BTW I timed it & it ran 121 min. this particular theater stopped showing silent pics because they are too powerful.

Wow yeh thanks for sharing that.

I am really looking forward to watching this film and being blown away by the fact that it was made in 1922.

Pretty cool.

The TCM database does not give the length of this movie, but the schedule says 107 minutes. If it is indeed 121 minutes as noted below, I am going to set my recorder for over two hours just in case.

My Dish Network guide shows a 2 hour time black for Hexan, and 1 1/2 hour time block for the next one. I went in ans set thwe timer to go past just in case it went long..

What an experience! Trippily "edifying" -- and is this the Granddaddy of all future supernatural/fantasy/horror films to come?? Seems so to me! I love the dry, scholarly (complete with pointer and woodcuts) text, combined with the most luridly macabre visuals ever. There seems to be a lot of exploitation underneath all this so-called academic exploration. Haunting, nightmarish, surrealist images abound to blow your mind, and the live action vignettes are almost pulpily addictive.

A cult film supreme!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I feel for you; many's the good stuff I've missed.

I hope they do run it again, because it's a must see for sheer weirdness alone, as well as its progenitor status.

HAXAN(1922) is a hoot, I first saw a couple of Halloween's ago on IFC. I love how it's done in a documentary style. Also I read somewhere that the director himself plays part as the devil in it.

very very weird... the woman who plays Maria is 49 years old

I saw it a few years ago, and just don't get what others see in it. I guess it's my horror film version of "Citizen Kane"! I thought it was a little ridiculous, and can only remember the Devil making faces and sticking his tongue out constantly. Then again, the only thing that scares me is reality.

I agree... Bush and his henchmen are scarier than any movie

the differences between what I saw years ago & this tcm version - ... it was projected too fast. the people who own the film - Janus - they can do anything they want. not show it if they want. When I saw it , it had never been seen. nobody knew the power this film has. Janus knows & the music was bad & inappropriate. it is possible to understand the pic as shown on tcm but not to feel the impact. for that you need to see it live.

the music in Haxan was awful.... possibly the worst piece was the religious song (Kaddish) I recognized from THE JAZZ SINGER. By worst I mean inappropriate since it's a song connected to a holy celebration.

Still there were many stunning images. My favorite was the blue tinted scenes of the witches flying on their broomsticks and pitch forks.... stunning and chilling.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Kol Nidre being played over the scenes where the unbaptized babies were murdered!!

I dont know where you come up with your times. the pic was projected too fast. if they project it properly it will be 121 min. I know I was there - timed it myself before Janus bought the movie.

Well, watching Haxan solves one long time mystery in MY life.

Here's the story. A long time ago, while visiting grandpa and grandma at their combination gas station and farm...located out in the country, but sort of city...I noticed one of those old fashion butter churn things. A butter churn very similar to the object featured in Haxan. I asked gramps if he had ever turned cream into butter with one of those churn things. Hearing my question, Grandpa looked wistful, smiled, looked in my direction and winked. He did not say anything. I guess he expected me to know what the heck he was thinking about. I guess I now know what the heck Grandpa was thinking about.

Rusty