JakeHolman

THE VEGAS MASSACRE

279 posts in this topic

The Latest on the shooting in Las Vegas

Heavily armed police are searching the Nevada retirement-community home of a man authorities say killed more than 50 people when he opened fire at a country-music concert in Las Vegas.

AP > https://apnews.com/71c3df85c71d4d6dbdd5a21fb87608ec/The-Latest:-50-dead,-200-injured-in-Las-Vegas-attack

99vcNM5N_bigger.jpg Raw StoryVerified account @RawStory 27m27 minutes ago

Police said at least 406 people were transported to hospitals following the shooting -- Las Vegas gunman killed and identified — and companion in custody as person of interest https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/las-vegas-gunman-killed-but-companion-remains-at-large-as-person-of-interest/Stephen-Paddock-800x430.png

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!

58 dead, over 500 wounded. they had just started to report on an active shooting in las vegas last nite but I wanted to watch nosferatu so when I turned on ABC to watch the view this morning, there it was. the whole senseless tragedy. this is gonna be a busy week for trump what with travelling to puerto rico on tuesday and then vegas on wednesday. he lead a national moment of silence along with melania and the pences. I doan know what more you could ask of the man.

trump-1506970019.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.859xh

I doan know what more you could ask of the man.

Resign would be nice.

• Like 1

Heavily armed police are searching the Nevada retirement-community home of a man authorities say killed more than 50 people when he opened fire at a country-music concert in Las Vegas.

Maybe now they'll make country-western music illegal.

• Like 1

Las Vegas Official Sets Up GoFundMe to Aid Shooting Victims — the Price of No Universal Health Care-

"...Clark County Commission Chair Steve Sisolak, set up a GoFundMe, a private crowdfunding platform, to request charity for those injured in the massacre.

Sisolak, who is running for governor as a Democrat, pitched in $10,000 and explained that he is currently at the county’s level-one trauma center with victims:

"I’m Steve Sisolak, Clark County Commission Chair from Las Vegas. We are raising funds to assist the victim’s of the tragic Las Vegas shooting. I am at Clark County’s only level-one trauma center with the victims and their families as we speak.

Funds will be used to provide relief and financial support to the victims and families of the horrific Las Vegas mass shooting?."

Nevada’s Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval vetoed legislation over the summer that would have allowed Nevadans to buy into the state’s Medicaid program.

Asking strangers for charitable donations to tackle medical bills is ubiquitous in the United States. A report by NerdWallet released in 2015 found that $930 million of the $2 billion raised by GoFundMe since its 2010 launch have been related to medical bills.

Yet NerdWallet’s comprehensive survey of crowdfunding sites found that barely 1 in 10 medical campaigns raised the full amount they asked for........

Contrast this American experience with that of some of our allies.........

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-gofundme-health-care/

• Like 1

Shooting suspect's brother: "Where the hell did he get automatic weapons?”

"'Cause I should have some too", he continued.

where do the young african-american men of the killing streets of chicago get their pistols? :P:D

What in the world are we going to do about this white on white crime-- white domestic terrorism?

And maybe we need to start a discussion on gun control instead of spending all our time having racist obsessions about non-white Muslim International terrorists.

A 64 year -old retired white man who goes on a shooting binge killing 59 white people and wounding hundreds of other white people-- this kind of crime has to be addressed immediately.

This kind of criminal has enough money to buy all the automatic weapons that he wants--plus he doesn't have a criminal record, so the police don't know anything about him.

There's going to have to be some kind of discussion in this country about what to do about people like this--if it's mental illness or it's simply a matter of something else. We need a national discussion about it.

This particular individual had no criminal record and was not on anybody's radar for any crimes, however his father had been a convicted felon.

As people in this country are struggling to maintain their health care because the Republican Congress and the trump Administration is trying to take it from them, what we really still need more of in this country is also Mental Health coverage. There was some discussion of that after Sandy Hook and then it just went away.

There's another good lesson we can learn from this tragedy --

white people who have a lot of money aren't necessarily safe people or psychologically stable.

Too often in this country people equate money with intelligence, Prestige and decency. Just because someone has a lot of money that doesn't mean that they have good character, that they're intelligent, or that they're psychologically well-balanced.

You have only to look at the current occupant of the White House to realize that is a true statement.

After Las Vegas, a familiar script unfolds-

Now that we know the Vegas shooter was white, a reassuring narrative: He was a “lone wolf,” not a “terrorist”...

"...Unlike the impulsiveness he has shown when Muslims are accused of committing a terrorist act, either in the United States or abroad, Donald Trump will be reserved and careful in his statements.

The American news media will respond by observing that Trump has now magically become "presidential," as if his sins could be washed away by a chattering class desperate to make the abnormal into something palatable and routine.

The National Rifle Association and the Republican politicians whom they own will default to irrational talking points: "Now is not the time to politicize a tragedy" or "It's too early to talk about gun laws."

Gun manufacturers will see their stocks rise in value. America's addiction to guns will continue unabated even as it kills tens of thousands of people a year.

Somehow the gun fetishists like Bill O'Reilly will mouth such absurdities as "guns are the price of freedom" without soiling themselves from uncontrollable laughter....

There will be no "national conversation" about the connection between toxic (white) masculinity and American gun culture. In the mainstream news media and broader public discourse there certainly will be no discussion of the fact that white men are 31 percent of the population but commit 63 percent of mass shootings. Such a fact is forbidden or explosive, because it connects race, gender, guns and death.....

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/02/americas-white-man-problem-after-las-vegas-a-familiar-script-unfolds/

• Like 1

Okay, and while the following MAY sound a little "insensitive"(especially to those who for WHATEVER reason won't be able to see the extreme sarcasm and the POINT I'll be attempting to make here about the gun culture within this country) BUT, I'm going to start a little "pool" here.

Now, in THIS pool each person will be picking the date in the future THEY think the next mass shooting will be that'll top this Vegas SOB's "new record" here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

And because I'M starting this pool, I GET to pick the first date, see?!

Okay, the date I'm going to pick is 6/12/2018 and with maybe almost 80 people killed.

(...oh, and for you Canadians up there, a country which can boast some reasonable gun control measures, and thus where I believe this sort of American carnage is a rare occurrence indeed, that "6/12/2018" date would be June 12th, 2018, as I know you folks up that way always place the day first and then the month whenever you write the date in this manner, as whereas of course HERE in this gun obsessed country of mine, WE always reference the month first and THEN the day of that month...just so's there's no confusion on this, ya see)

OH, and here's another little "extremely sarcastic" and "oh so insensitive" comment I'm about to make here and regarding this latest little example of good ol' "Americanism":

Evidently the shooter, one Stephen Paddock, never got that one NRA memo sent to him.

(...YOU know, that NRA memo which always expresses the thought that: "An armed society is a polite society")

Mr. 6, you brought up the Toxic American white male gun culture-- and that is certainly the foundation of the NRA.

This morning the only thing I could think of was in 1966 there was a horrible shooting at the University of Texas. A shooter killed 18 people from his vantage point on the campus tower, wounding approximately 30 people.

This young white man became infamously known as the Texas Tower Sniper.

That was a little over 50 years ago and I can remember how upset people were about it. And how horrible I thought it was.

We were particularly incensed because our President had been murdered just three years before on a street in Texas.

Some 50 years later the United States is still at it.

It's not just gun control we need-- we need a culture of caring about each other and being concerned about the least Among us who may be having difficulties.

Isolated rugged individualism--it's just a fantasy.

This materialistic attitude of I've got mine and I don't care if you got yours and if you don't have enough you're a loser, and it's all your fault anyway or something along that line--

isn't going to work out for the betterment of all.

45]NrPCDsxa_bigger.jpgEric Paulsen WWL-TV@EPaulsenWWL

More

Eric Paulsen WWL-TV Retweeted Eric Paulsen WWL-TV

Because of the horrific shooting in Las Vegas we will run our interview with Steve Scalise tomorrow.

45]9qECefV4_bigger.jpgMason GinsbergVerified account @MasonGinsberg

More

Mason Ginsberg Retweeted Eric Paulsen WWL-TV

Mass shooting delays interview about another mass shooting. America.

No comment necessary

• Like 1

Some sure like to make these things political, at least wait until the facts come out about this nut and the weapons he used.