Sign in to follow this  
JamesStewartFan95

R.I.P. Tom Petty (1951-2017)

62 posts in this topic

I'm still depressed about it. I played his CDs for several days, but it just made me sad. :( Did he have kids/grandkids? I dont know much about his personal life..

No problem.   It is very hard to think of him in the past tense.  I can't believe he is gone.   I grew up with his music.  The coolest, nicest guy around, not to mention a great singer and one of the best songwriters.   He was simply THE BEST.

I know how you feel.  I'm still going through that with CHUCK BERRY.

And it took nearly a year to get over(sort of) the loss of JOHNNY WINTER.

Chuck's birthday being only 3 days ago didn't help either.  But what'll make it rough with Tom is his being so young relatively. 

Sepiatone

Great videos here on this thread of Tom Petty.     I love the Traveling Wilbury videos like Inside Out, Handle With Care and End of the Line.   Great supergroup.  I also like the Runnin' Down A Dream live performance from 1991.   Petty was the definition of "rock and roller".  He was so good - it's hard to put it into words.  He was a great showman, singer and songwriter - one of the best.   I wish there would be some reprints of books on him, DVD's of his live concerts and some television specials on him.  I only saw 2 magazine commemorative issues - but thought there would be so much more on the loss of this wonderful superstar.

I see on Amazon a 4 hour documentary on Tom Petty by Peter Bogdanovich.    The price is pretty good...anyone ever see this?  I keep hearing Petty songs all over the radio - some of which I've always liked but didn't know he sang it.    Anyone have a favorite CD of his?   I have greatest hits CD - was wondering what others are good.

3 minutes ago, newclassicfilmfan1 said:

I see on Amazon a 4 hour documentary on Tom Petty by Peter Bogdanovich.    The price is pretty good...anyone ever see this?  I keep hearing Petty songs all over the radio - some of which I've always liked but didn't know he sang it.    Anyone have a favorite CD of his?   I have greatest hits CD - was wondering what others are good.

I have that documentary. If you have any interest in Petty, then it's a must-see. 

Of his albums, I liked Damn the TorpedoesSouthern Accents (although I've read many people don't like this one, I do), Full Moon FeverInto the Great Wide OpenWildflowers the most. I don't think any of them are bad, though. I didn't hear a lot from the last four, so I can't say for sure on those.

so many are taken away before their time. 

I DJ online in Secondlife, been playing a few of his songs in my sets..everybody loves his music. even the younger generation is taking notice, sad that a death seems to bring a artist back into the spotlight. 

Lawrence - many thanks!   The 4 hour documentary is reasonably priced on Amazon.   I also see that some of the books are going for hundreds of dollars on Amazon.  I hope some of them can be reprinted for a price people can afford.  Also, thanks for the advice on the CDs/Albums.   Petty was so good, don't think I ever heard a bad song from him.   He seemed to be a bit country, folk and rock - but I think mostly rock.  He was one of the coolest guys around.