Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

George Clooney: The 46th AFI Life Achievement Award recipient

63 posts in this topic

I always get a big laugh every time I look at the videos at Walmart. They've been stocking John Wayne for years but he never sells. They sell some classic videos and some interesting BBC stuff like, Downton Abbey.

Classic videos like Casablanca, An American in Paris or Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's do well. Classic TV like Seinfeld and I Love Lucy also sells well. And they have great prices for Downton Abbey and Sherlock.

But the John Wayne stuff never sells. Year after your they keep on Stocking it thinking that their clientele would want to buy John Wayne movies.

The kind of people who would actually buy Classic Movies aren't even going to bother with most stuff starring John Wayne, unless it was a John Ford classic.

I'm not a big fan of westerns but there are two John Ford films that I never miss--

Two Rode Together starring James Stewart and Richard Widmark and Cheyenne Autumn starring Richard Widmark. These are two films where John Ford tries to settle the score, I can see why John Wayne's not in either one.

But Ford had to star John Wayne in The Searchers because he doesn't even have to act in that one. LOL

did you know that john wayne saying "that'll be the day" all throughout the searchers was buddy holly's inspiration for his famous song? :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27ll_Be_the_Day

• Like 1

And it's good that they're giving it to him now, otherwise they might want to take it back after "Suburbicon".

(Or, wait, we've already had "Hail, Caesar", so I guess nothing the Coens do to Clooney's career can affect the award.)

did you know that john wayne saying "that'll be the day" all throughout the searchers was buddy holly's inspiration for his famous song? :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27ll_Be_the_Day

A funny aside to this is recently, while watching an old WAGON TRAIN episode with WARD BOND( also in "The Searchers") , Bond, in response to something someone said retorted, "That'll be the day!"  and I detected a slight smirk and roll of his eyes after he said it.  :D   He and Wayne did several pictures together and were long time friends.

Sepiatone

John Wayne was formulaic, stereotype one-dimensional actor who only is remembered today because of the genius of John Ford.

The people who receive this award are truly outstanding, not just as actors and actresses, but also in terms of their overall contribution to the motion picture industry.

The only reason John Wayne even won an Oscar was because he was dying of cancer and people felt sorry for him. In the Academy they often reward people who have made a great deal of money at the box office. And I can't deny that John Wayne certainly did that.

For his time he was the kind of person who did well. Today his kind wouldn't be able to cut the mustard.

John Wayne won his Academy Award ten years before he died of cancer. He did not have cancer when he won the award.  Instead I think that it was the kind of "Body of Work" award the academy hands out when they think this may be their last chance because they don't know if the nominee will retire, never have another competitive role, or die. They did that with DeMille in 1952 and "Greatest Show on Earth", definitely not the best picture that year if you look at the competition.

I'm not going to argue the fact that Wayne had less range than other actors of his generation - Cary Grant for example. But John Ford was hardly a benefactor. If Wayne had not had the right stuff Ford would have dumped him. I can't see anybody but Wayne carrying the roles he did in "The Quiet Man", "The Searchers", or "The Shootist".  I am thus going to argue that I think some of you are wrong in characterizing Wayne as a complete hack and a one note player when what is probably coloring your viewpoint is how he was such a supporter of the Communist witch hunts of the early 50s. I never understood Wayne's politics either.

As for George Clooney, some of his films I like, some I do not. I don't think he particularly "makes" any of the good films he is in. I am not familiar with the work he did behind the camera. If he indeed made "Batman" in 1997 just so he could collect a big salary and thus afford to  pick his projects I would like to know why he picked "Men Who Stare at Goats" or "The Perfect Storm ("We're Gloucestermen! We don't need no stinking meteorologists!").

Just my two cents. Sorry so late, but I've been working a heavy schedule.

• Like 1

The Academy should institute a Harvey Weinstein Award given to any of the women who escaped his clutches after meeting him. There could be a supporting player award too for any of his assistants who helped arrange after hours meetings with hopefuls to Hollywood. If Ed Wood was alive he could direct a film about the whole debacle with assistance from John Waters. Too bad Divine is not alive to play the lead character, just not in drag.

• Like 1

John Wayne won his Academy Award ten years before he died of cancer. He did not have cancer when he won the award.  Instead I think that it was the kind of "Body of Work" award the academy hands out when they think this may be their last chance because they don't know if the nominee will retire, never have another competitive role, or die. They did that with DeMille in 1952 and "Greatest Show on Earth", definitely not the best picture that year if you look at the competition.

I'm not going to argue the fact that Wayne had less range than other actors of his generation - Cary Grant for example. But John Ford was hardly a benefactor. If Wayne had not had the right stuff Ford would have dumped him. I can't see anybody but Wayne carrying the roles he did in "The Quiet Man", "The Searchers", or "The Shootist".  I am thus going to argue that I think some of you are wrong in characterizing Wayne as a complete hack and a one note player when what is probably coloring your viewpoint is how he was such a supporter of the Communist witch hunts of the early 50s. I never understood Wayne's politics either.

As for George Clooney, some of his films I like, some I do not. I don't think he particularly "makes" any of the good films he is in. I am not familiar with the work he did behind the camera. If he indeed made "Batman" in 1997 just so he could collect a big salary and thus afford to  pick his projects I would like to know why he picked "Men Who Stare at Goats" or "The Perfect Storm ("We're Gloucestermen! We don't need no stinking meteorologists!").

Just my two cents. Sorry so late, but I've been working a heavy schedule.

bless you. Wayne does deserve respect and a lot of it. :)

that settles that!

• Like 1

For his time he was the kind of person who did well. Today his kind wouldn't be able to cut the mustard.

Seriously?

Why, the movie theaters are FULL of movies starring actors AND actresses who are "his kind".  They're pretty much the STAPLE of the film industry these days.

Just ask JASON STATHAM.  Or THE ROCK.  Or SETH ROGAN.  etc. ;)

Sepiatone

ampas claims there will now be zero tolerance for the sexual intimidation and or harassment of women in hollywood and to prove it they gave weinerstein the boot out of their hallowed ranks...really???

what about this E.R. actress who is now saying that george clooney shut her up about complaining about harassment when they were both doing ER?

what about that??? they going to hold clooney's feet to the fire? he still going to get the AFI award?

and if the ER actress has more to say? how much then is the academy's word on zero tolerance gonna be worth? I think it's time for them to back up their high-sounding pontifications and proclamations. will they?

:lol:

"we're all the same schmucks" -dustin hoffman, lenny

On 10/15/2017 at 10:50 AM, NipkowDisc said:

what about this E.R. actress who is now saying that george clooney shut her up about complaining about harassment when they were both doing ER?

what about that??? they going to hold clooney's feet to the fire? he still going to get the AFI award?

Clooney has denied her charges, so it's his word against hers. And even if she's telling the truth, Clooney should get the AFI award since Trump became president despite numerous harassment claims against him. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Photo published for George Clooney Says His Acting Career Is Coming to a Close

46th AFI Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient and maybe the 46th President of the United States of America?

We're doing a lot worse right now-- 

Clooney could really get this country moving again with a cohesive-- not divisive-- momentum.