Sign in to follow this  
rayban

Anthony Perkins

113 posts in this topic

Because nobody really knows the work of Osgood Perkins.

Some probably don't know the work of Tab Hunter either. But when we mention them it leads to people re-discovering their performances.

• Like 2

Because nobody really knows the work of Osgood Perkins.

I had to look up what movies he was in.   I had seen him in Gold Diggers of 1937 (his last film) and Scarface but that is it.

I would like to see Madame Du Barry but only if it was an uncensored version (the film was released in 1934 right when the Code was being strongly enforced).     (pre-code Dolores del Rio is always a treat).

PS:  I also learned that Anthony named his son, born in 1974, after his father.    So as TB said,  when people are mentioned it leads to discovery.   

• Like 2

check out the coat. What year was this? looks groovy1200x630bb.jpg

This one was the cover of his third album - "On A Rainy Afternoon" - 1958 -

517MZUlwedL.jpg

• Like 1

I knew Richard Beymer was dubbed, but I didn't know Jimmy Bryant dubbed him. I looked him up, and he is apparently best known for dubbing Beymer.

I read Tab Hunter was rejected because he was too old. (He was around 30 at the time.) Tony was seriously considered because he wanted to play a character that was not like Norman Bates. Russ Tamblyn (who eventually got the part of Riff), Warren Beatty (who was dating Natalie Wood and was a friend of Tab's at the time), Burt Reynolds, Bobby Darin, and Troy Donahue also auditioned for the role. Needless to say, West Side Story would've been very different if Tony, Tab, or one of the other actors I listed above, played the role.

Today, you can't imagine anybody but Richard Beymer in the role of Tony.

Yes, he did have a recording career - all of his solo records have been recorded on one lengthy CD collection.

The two most prominent ones have been "Moonlight Swim" and "First Romance".

He also starred in Stephen Sondheim's first musical offering on TV, which was titled "Evening Primrose" and which had him singing alongside Chariman Carr.

He also starred in Frank Loesser's Broadway musical, "Greenwillow".  The musical, which is full of attractive tunes, is still available on a CD.

He also made three solo albums - "Tony Perkins", "On A Rainy Afternoon" and "From My Heart". 

He made singing appearances on six of Ben Bagley's Broadway song collections.

Believe it or not, he also played the piano.

He can be heard at the piano in the Ken Russell thriller, "Crimes of Passion", that he made with Kathleen Turner.

tony-perkins-indian-giver-rca-victor.jpg

1200x630bb.jpg

MI0002603180.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I really recommend all of these recordings.  You will definitely have a great time.

• Like 1

He was also meant to star in Sondheim's COMPANY.  In fact, the score was written for him..  He was originally interested in directing it, when it was just going to be a play.  When the musical score was written he agreed to do the lead role of Bobby, but then changed his mind.  When he walked away from it, they begged Dean Jones to do it, because they needed a name.  The show was already being publicized with Perkins  Jones did the out of town tryouts, and opened with the show, but left almost right after the opening.  I was always so happy that I got to see the show in its first week.  Not a fan of it, at all, but I loved Dean Jones in it.  Tony Perkins made films in Europe, but continued to live,mostly, in New York.  He spent 7 years in a relationship with a friend of mine.  They split, both got married, both had children, and both stayed married until death ended their marriages.  Perkins death and my friend's wife.

• Like 2

He was also meant to star in Sondheim's COMPANY.  In fact, the score was written for him..  He was originally interested in directing it, when it was just going to be a play.  When the musical score was written he agreed to do the lead role of Bobby, but then changed his mind.  When he walked away from it, they begged Dean Jones to do it, because they needed a name.  The show was already being publicized with Perkins  Jones did the out of town tryouts, and opened with the show, but left almost right after the opening.  I was always so happy that I got to see the show in its first week.  Not a fan of it, at all, but I loved Dean Jones in it.  Tony Perkins made films in Europe, but continued to live,mostly, in New York.  He spent 7 years in a relationship with a friend of mine.  They split, both got married, both had children, and both stayed married until death ended their marriages.  Perkins death and my friend's wife.

Did Tony Perkins ever get to record any of the songs from "Company".  Perhaps on some of the Ben Bagley Broadway song collections.

Is your friend by any chance Grover Dale? According to most sources, Grover Dale was the man Tony dated before getting married.

Like Tony, I have always been a fan of Dean Jones. I call him the King of Disney Movies because he made so many Disney movies. He also made Beethoven and Other People's Money, but the Disney movies he made are the ones we fondly remember today. Dean did leave Company after a few weeks due to family problems, but they made him stronger at the end. And that I give him credit for.

• Like 3

Tony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim finally got to work together on their screenplay for "The Last of Sheila" (1973) -

f36f6385f021446038efe613085e0b1d--anthon

• Like 1

Anthony Perkins is someone who I'm familiar with, but haven't seen much of his work.  However, of the work of his that I have seen, I've been very impressed. 

I've seen him in On the Beach and thought he was excellent.  His character, a young father who has to emotionally support his wife who is in denial about the rapidly approaching radiation sickness, which will kill them all.  The scene where he tells his wife how to euthanize their daughter and then herself is heartbreaking.

Perkins was very adept at portraying stoic yet vulnerable, shy and nervous characters.

I've also seen Green Mansions and of course, Psycho.  

Due to my DVR issues (new one is supposed to come tomorrow!), I wasn't able to record any of the Perkins movies that aired last week.  I wanted to see The Actress and Tall Story.  I will have to see if Watch TCM or On Demand has either of these films available.  The only con with Watch TCM is I have to put on headphones and watch it on my laptop or the tablet.

The Perkins films I am most looking forward to seeing are:

Five Miles to Midnight. I'm curious about the pairing of Perkins with Sophia Loren.

Pretty Poison. I wanted to see this film when it was mentioned during the Tuesday Weld spotlight last year.  Everyone was expressing disappointment that this film was not being featured. 

Mahogany.  I'm curious about the pairing of Perkins and Diana Ross.  I also like the idea of a girl from the Chicago slums becoming a supermodel.

• Like 1

Anthony Perkins is someone who I'm familiar with, but haven't seen much of his work.  However, of the work of his that I have seen, I've been very impressed. 

I've seen him in On the Beach and thought he was excellent.  His character, a young father who has to emotionally support his wife who is in denial about the rapidly approaching radiation sickness, which will kill them all.  The scene where he tells his wife how to euthanize their daughter and then herself is heartbreaking.

Perkins was very adept at portraying stoic yet vulnerable, shy and nervous characters.

I've also seen Green Mansions and of course, Psycho.  

Due to my DVR issues (new one is supposed to come tomorrow!), I wasn't able to record any of the Perkins movies that aired last week.  I wanted to see The Actress and Tall Story.  I will have to see if Watch TCM or On Demand has either of these films available.  The only con with Watch TCM is I have to put on headphones and watch it on my laptop or the tablet.

The Perkins films I am most looking forward to seeing are:

Five Miles to Midnight. I'm curious about the pairing of Perkins with Sophia Loren.

Pretty Poison. I wanted to see this film when it was mentioned during the Tuesday Weld spotlight last year.  Everyone was expressing disappointment that this film was not being featured. 

Mahogany.  I'm curious about the pairing of Perkins and Diana Ross.  I also like the idea of a girl from the Chicago slums becoming a supermodel.

There has never been a film like "Pretty Poison".

• Like 3

Wasn't it Perkins who married Berry Berenson after having some kind of reversion therapy which he claimed altered his gay alliances in order to achieve heterosexual happiness? I always felt sad he had demons which caused him to first be relegated to clean cut Americana boys in films in his early days and then turned the exact opposite way in regarding him as a deranged killer type due to Psycho when the only thing true was that he was an excellent actor able to do many things with his talent.

I still recall him doing a comedy sketch on SNL where he played a management trainer for a hotel management corporation or some such, standing at a duplicate of the Bates Hotel set piece office room and being hilariously funny. He could have done comedy as well as anyone if given the chance and I mourn his loss to films. He did do some light comedy of course in things like Tall Story but I feel he was never given his due by Hollywood sadly. Of course...in many ways his performance in Psycho was incredibly comedic but not many people probably got that in their first viewing.

• Like 1

Wasn't it Perkins who married Berry Berenson after having some kind of reversion therapy which he claimed altered his gay alliances in order to achieve heterosexual happiness? I always felt sad he had demons which caused him to first be relegated to clean cut Americana boys in films in his early days and then turned the exact opposite way in regarding him as a deranged killer type due to Psycho when the only thing true was that he was an excellent actor able to do many things with his talent.

I still recall him doing a comedy sketch on SNL where he played a management trainer for a hotel management corporation or some such, standing at a duplicate of the Bates Hotel set piece office room and being hilariously funny. He could have done comedy as well as anyone if given the chance and I mourn his loss to films. He did do some light comedy of course in things like Tall Story but I feel he was never given his due by Hollywood sadly. Of course...in many ways his performance in Psycho was incredibly comedic but not many people probably got that in their first viewing.

He starred - memorably - on Broadway in Neil Simon's "The Star-Spangled Girl" (with Richard Benjamin) and in Bernard Slade's "Romantic Comedy" (with Mia Farrow).

For those of us who couldn't get enough of him, he even had a nude scene in "Romantic Comedy".

Anthony-Perkins-Mia-Farrow-Berry-Berenso

I hope it isn't true that Tony had reversion therapy, or pray the gay away therapy or whatever you want to call it.  I would hope he wanted kids but knew he wouldn't be able to adopt any as a single gay dad back in those days, so he found and married an empathetic partner in Berry.

As for fans of Tony and/or Tuesday, do watch PRETTY POISON when it comes on.  I haven't seen it in years but am looking forward to it.  Look for Beverly Garland ("The Monster That Challenged the World") as Tuesday's mom.

• Like 1

I hope it isn't true that Tony had reversion therapy, or pray the gay away

Turns out he was just confused about his sexuality as a young man. Once he met the right woman he became aware of his hetero preference.

I guess for some men the "right woman" can be all the "reversion therapy" necessary to address the confusion they may have had.

Turns out he was just confused about his sexuality as a young man. Once he met the right woman he became aware of his hetero preference.

I guess for some men the "right woman" can be all the "reversion therapy" necessary to address the confusion they may have had.

For someone "just confused about his sexuality" he sure had a lot of gentlemen relationships.  I'll stand by with what I wrote.

• Like 2

From an early age, he knew that he was a homosexual.

But he was thinking seriously of "changing" and sought out psychiatric aid.

Then, he met a woman who liked gay men and proved very seductive.

She became pregnant.

So, then, they decided to get married.

• Like 1

For someone "just confused about his sexuality" he sure had a lot of gentlemen relationships.  I'll stand by with what I wrote.

That he had "reversion therapy"? Or that he prayed his homosexuality away? Which one?

Whichever, I guess it's good to know that one of those really does work then.

And here I thought they were BS. Stupid me.

My recollection (not sure where I read this quite a number of years ago) is that Mildred Newman and Bernard Berkowitz, the husband-and-wife authors of How To Be Your Own Best Friend, a self-help book that was a huge bestseller at the time, were the ones who attempted to "cure" Perkins and steered him to Berry Berenson.

• Like 1

My recollection (not sure where I read this quite a number of years ago) is that Mildred Newman and Bernard Berkowitz, the husband-and-wife authors of How To Be Your Own Best Friend, a self-help book that was a huge bestseller at the time, were the ones who attempted to "cure" Perkins and steered him to Berry Berenson.

Ms. Berenson was working for "Interview" magazine at the time and she went to Anthony Perkins' home and interviewed him.

The subsequent wedding photos were published in "Interview" magazine.

As you can see below, early on, she adopted a very androgynous look.

MV5BZjkyNzI5YWYtNWViMi00NTkwLTljZWMtY2Ew

• Like 2

Maybe it was like one of those football games where team A beats up

on team B in the first half and then everything reverses in the second

half and team B slaughters team A. Or maybe not.

And apparently after his marriage as well, from what I've read........

• Like 1

I just noticed that Play it as it Lays got booted in favor of the Champagne Murders.  Darn

That's too bad. Tuesday was perfectly cast in that film........

• Like 1