Sign in to follow this  
LesleySargoy

TCM Watch App mirroring to Apple TV - doesn't work with iPad Pro upgrade to iOS11

7 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my my iPad Pro to iOS11. Before I did this, the TCM Watch App worked perfectly on the Apple TV with AirPlay Mirroring.

I'd start the movie in TCM Watch (iPad), click on AirPlay Mirroring > Apple TV and the film would appear on my TV screen. Now with the iOS11 upgrade, all I get is a black screen. Short segments like the "host" section with Ben Mankiewicz will mirror, but not the main film. Can't figure out why?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I tried re-downloading the TCM Watch app, but it still doesn't work.

Or even better, TCM - why not develop an Apple TV version of the App? Little hint :-)

That sounds suspiciously like DRM restrictions have been enabled for TCM streaming under iOS 11 (especially since the TCM material works and not the movies).

Sorry but I can't suggest anything to make the app work.  One thing you might try is to go to WatchTCM through the web browser and see if that will mirror.  (I haven't done that so I don't know if there are quality issues, etc.)

I agree that a WatchTCM app for the AppleTV would be ideal, but it seems that TCM has chosen not to do it.  Very disappointing.

• Like 1

That sounds suspiciously like DRM restrictions have been enabled for TCM streaming under iOS 11 (especially since the TCM material works and not the movies).

Sorry but I can't suggest anything to make the app work.  One thing you might try is to go to WatchTCM through the web browser and see if that will mirror.  (I haven't done that so I don't know if there are quality issues, etc.)

I agree that a WatchTCM app for the AppleTV would be ideal, but it seems that TCM has chosen not to do it.  Very disappointing.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Interestingly, the streaming worked from my MacBook Pro over to Apple TV by using WatchTCM through Safari.

Tried it again from the app on my iPad and I only get the sound, no picture. However, if I don't mirror the content over to Apple TV, the movie plays fine on the iPad... strange?

I might try to mirror the iPad directly to the TV through a Lightning to HDMI Cable Adapter ... bypass the Apple TV entirely and see what happens then...

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Interestingly, the streaming worked from my MacBook Pro over to Apple TV by using WatchTCM through Safari.

Tried it again from the app on my iPad and I only get the sound, no picture. However, if I don't mirror the content over to Apple TV, the movie plays fine on the iPad... strange?

I might try to mirror the iPad directly to the TV through a Lightning to HDMI Cable Adapter ... bypass the Apple TV entirely and see what happens then...

UPDATE: Tried to mirror the iPad directly to the TV through the Lightening to HDMI Cable Adapter instead of the Apple TV. Same issue, got the sound but no picture. TCM material works but not the feature film. If I don’t mirror from the iPad to the TV, the movie plays directly on the iPad.

Would rather watch films on the big screen, but guess I’ll have to wait and see if there is some update to the TCM app that removes the DRM restrictions for mirroring under iOS 11.

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem. Very frustrating, as this is the only way I can watch TCM on anything other than my phone. Really disappointing. I agree--an Apple TV app would be ideal! 

I thought I would add here that I've read there is a WatchTCM app for the Amazon Fire TV that may allow you to watch TCM streaming directly on a TV.  This would require the purchase of an additional streaming device, however.  I see that the newer Amazon Fire TV with 4k is just under $70, for example.

I don't have an Amazon Fire TV device so I can't say if or how well this works, but I thought I would mention it as a possible alternative.  Perhaps a message board member with direct experience can comment.