Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Charles Boyer as SOTM January 2018

12 posts in this topic

Barton just sent a message that Charles Boyer has been selected. The list of films airing in January will be posted soon.

• Like 2

screen-shot-2017-10-19-at-5-16-22-pm.png

4th of january

love affair (1939) with irene dunne
all this, and heaven too (1940) with bette davis
lilliom (1934) with madeleine ozeray
conquest (1937) with greta garbo
algiers (1938) with hedy lamarr

5th of january

break of hearts (1935) with katharine hepburn

11th of january

gaslight (1944) with ingrid bergman
hold back the dawn (1941) with olivia de havilland
back street (1941) with margaret sullavan
tales of manhattan (1942) with rita hayworth
the constant nymph (1943) with joan fontaine

12th of january

together again (1944) with irene dunne

18th of january

cluny brown (1946) with jennifer jones
the earrings of madame de... (1953) with danielle darrieux
una parisienne (1957) with brigitte bardot
the happy time (1952) with louis jourdan
the cobweb (1955) with richard widmark
confidential agent (1945) with lauren bacall

25th of january

fanny (1961) with leslie caron
the four horsemen of the apocalypse (1962) with ingrid thulin
love is a ball (1963) with glenn ford
the madwoman of chaillot (1969) with katharine hepburn

26th of january

lost horizon (1973) with peter finch
a matter of time (1976) with ingrid bergman

• Like 2

Boyer was an actor I never really warmed up to and thought was a little one- dimentional. Then, when I saw his later films ( Fanny, Barefoot In The Park, The Madwoman Of Chaillot,etc.) I began to view him differently and when re-watching his films I previously didn't care for, started to like him. My favorite is a radio recording I have of him and Madeline Carrol performing The Ghost And Mrs. Muir.
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 5:14 AM, sagebrush said:
Boyer was an actor I never really warmed up to and thought was a little one- dimentional. Then, when I saw his later films ( Fanny, Barefoot In The Park, The Madwoman Of Chaillot,etc.) I began to view him differently and when re-watching his films I previously didn't care for, started to like him. My favorite is a radio recording I have of him and Madeline Carrol performing The Ghost And Mrs. Muir.

I think you make a valid point. Sometimes we appreciate a star and his/her films the second time around. First impressions are not always the most accurate.

My guess is a lot of people who never saw his movies probably did see him on the I Love Lucy episode he made in 1956-- 

Screen shot 2018-01-12 at 4.49.45 PM.png

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I think you make a valid point. Sometimes we appreciate a star and his/her films the second time around. First impressions are not always the most accurate.

My guess is a lot of people who never saw his movies probably did see him on the I Love Lucy episode he made in 1956-- 

I know this is a very 'duh' point to make but judgments (like who is the best actor, what are their best films,  is an actor versatile etc..)  are based ONLY on what we have experienced.     Therefore when someone has an opinion that is vastly different then mine,  I will ask what they have been exposed to.

E.g.   If one had only seen Cagney gangster films and never films like Yankee Doodle Dandy or The Strawberry Blonde it would be understandable why they would think Cagney was "a little one- dimensional".  

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I know this is a very 'duh' point to make but judgments (like who is the best actor, what are their best films,  is an actor versatile etc..)  are based ONLY on what we have experienced.     Therefore when someone has an opinion that is vastly different then mine,  I will ask what they have been exposed to.

E.g.   If one had only seen Cagney gangster films and never films like Yankee Doodle Dandy or The Strawberry Blonde it would be understandable why they would think Cagney was "a little one- dimensional".  

Not sure I get the point you are making here, James.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure I get the point you are making here, James.

The key was "are based ONLY on what we have experienced".

Too often people will say things like 'this actor's best movie is XYZ'.    What they are really saying is the best movie from this actor THAT I HAVE SEEN is XYZ.

So when what they say is 'best' just doesn't add up to me,  I'll ask them if they have seen films ABC and EFG and often they say 'oh no',  and that is the likely reason why they feel XYZ is their best.    

PS:  The concept also relates to the POV that 'all opinions are equally valid'.    I don't agree with this.   E.g.   If one person has seen every Bette Davis movie and the other person has seen only 10 Davis films,   the opinion of the latter person isn't as 'valid' as that of the former.    

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The key was "are based ONLY on what we have experienced".

Too often people will say things like 'this actor's best movie is XYZ'.    What they are really saying is the best movie from this actor THAT I HAVE SEEN is XYZ.

So when what they say is 'best' just doesn't add up to me,  I'll ask them if they have seen films ABC and EFG and often they say 'oh no',  and that is the likely reason why they feel XYZ is their best.     

Yes, I understood that part. What I didn't get was how this relates to Charles Boyer! Are you trying to say that someone who didn't care much for Charles Boyer originally might not know his best work because they're limited in exposure to all his films?  We can probably say that about most stars...especially ones with lengthy filmographies. 

Just now, TopBilled said:

Yes, I understood that part. What I didn't get was how this relates to Charles Boyer! Are you trying to say that someone who didn't care much for Charles Boyer originally might not know his best work if they're limited in exposure to all his films? We can probably say that about most stars...especially ones with lengthy filmographies. 

Yea,  my point didn't relate directly to Boyer,  but to comments regarding an actor's ability,  like an actor is little one-dimensional;   maybe it isn't that the actor is one-dimensional but instead that the viewers exposure is one-dimensional.

But of course the point applies to all actors, artist,  musicians, etc... 

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  my point didn't relate directly to Boyer,  but to comments regarding an actor's ability,  like an actor is little one-dimensional;   maybe it isn't that the actor is one-dimensional but instead that the viewers exposure is one-dimensional.

But of course the point applies to all actors, artist,  musicians, etc... 

I've sometimes experienced the reverse scenario. Like I will remember an actor or actress I enjoyed watching as a teen. So I will go back and find something they starred in from that earlier time period. And as I'm re-watching it the performances seem quite one-dimensional and barely hold up. It's funny...apparently I am not as naive as I had been way back when. I still see it as entertainment, just no longer quality entertainment.

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I've sometimes experienced the reverse scenario. Like I will remember an actor or actress I enjoyed watching as a teen. So I will go back and find something they starred in from that earlier time period. And as I'm re-watching it the performances seem quite one-dimensional and barely hold up. It's funny...apparently I am not as naive as I had been way back when. I still see it as entertainment, just no longer quality entertainment.

I'm guilty of this as well. It will really bother me that I feel so differently about films or performances which many years ago I considered wonderful. I also do this with music, but I think most people do also, to varying extents.

• Thanks 1