TCMModerator1

Watch TCM

73 posts in this topic

December 29, 2017 TCM ON-DEMAND UPDATE

Just checked in with TCM ON-DEMAND early this AM. Rechecked a few of the listed movies to see if they would at least load and begin to play.
Looks like sometime since my post yesterday AM and Early this AM, that "somebody" at TCM Finally woke up and "Corrected" TCM's Streaming Problem.

Okay, so at minimum we lost access to the entire day of movies listed ON-DEMAND which aired a week ago on Thursday, Dec 21, 2017, and which already expired before anyone at TCM got around to this most recent "fix."

We now have been given the last few hours Remaining of the "7 Day viewing window" on Movies listed ON-DEMAND which aired last Friday, Dec 22.
We ALSO now have a Day to view any of those movies which aired on Saturday, Dec 23, (minus the late night airing of THE UNHOLY ROLLERS (1972)
which featured former Playboy Playmate Claudia Jennings as a roller derby queen. Somehow this movie which had been listed ON-DEMAND was DELETED from the now available line-up.

Of the remaining movies listed ON-DEMAND that aired from Sunday, Dec 24, through to Wednesday, Dec. 27, we have a "7 Day Viewing Window" SHORTENED by up to 5-6 days (assuming that this "fix" will last that long). So if there are any movies that aired last week that ON-DEMAND viewers wanted to watch that still have a day or two left-- better watch 'em while you can! ('cause with TCM ON-DEMAND Nobody knows when the next "break" will occur. Though the recent past appears to indicate that we can anticipate the next one within another two-three weeks at the latest.

Side Note: checked using the latest browser version Firefox (64 bit v. 57.02 released 12/6/2017) as well as an earlier version that worked well with TCM prior to this latest "crapola" (32 bit v. 55.03 released 8/24/2017). They both will currently play well with TCM on a PC in "Private Browsing Mode" so long as one enables Privacy settings to accept "ALL THIRD PARTY COOKIES" to satisfy TCM's voracious quest to implant 3rd party marketing & monitoring cookies on our PC's.
NOTE: Be sure to Revert your PRIVACY settings AND DELETE ANY Cookies, AS well as CLEAR your Browser Cache, after finished watching ANYTHING STREAMING from TCM!!!

My Assessment of this latest TCM "snafu" is that it could have been worse. Instead of losing just an entire day of ON-DEMAND features, we could have lost SEVERAL DAYS (which HAS Happened before, on MORE than one occasion).
KNOWING this about TCM, Be prepared for FUTURE ON-DEMAND FAILURES & DISAPPOINTMENTS (ANTICIPATE Them).  IF What has been happening since this last Sept (2017) is any indicator of future TCM ON-DEMAND "performance," there WILL BE ANOTHER FAILURE OF INDETERMINATE LENGTH occurring in January 2018. 
I will be very (albeit pleasantly and now suspiciously) surprised, if it doesn't.

Here's to at least "Hoping" that TCM reverses this downward trend and proves this "prediction" to be wrong!
Have a Happy New Year!

For about the past 3 weeks, TCM on demand causes my flash player to crash. I have updated it and Firefox, but no luck. This is the latest in a LONG line of problems with this site-- and only this site. 

From 12/28/17 to 1/6/18 TCM streaming has been working.  But, there are problems again.  I've now tried 4 films, all of which stutter.  Audio continues while video stops.  My browser and flash are up to date.  The moderator has indicated TCM is aware of the problem; hopefully, this condition will not last long.  

As usual I am now unable to watch the TCM app on my Amazon Firestick. It seems they updated the app on Jan 25 and since then I CANNOT log in. I am taken to an odd looking screen that says at the top “01 select 02 Sign in 03 Watch”. Under that are the choices of my cable provider. I choose mine (Comcast/Xfinity) and then put in all my information and hit log in and I get this screen (sometimes) that tells me I am now authorized and then the screen goes TOTALLY BLANK. Black nothingness. I have 2 Firesticks and it’s on both. ALL my other apps work, including ones I have to sign into Xfinity with so it is NOT the Firestick or Comcast (for once) causing the issue. 

I am SO FREAKIN SICK OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THIS APP I swear if I could punch someone who is responsible I would and I am a non-violent person! I have been pushed to the brink with this app. It is ALWAYS something.

And if course as usual there is STILL no way for us to actually contact anyone to report or get answers from. I continue to ask WHY???????? 

If anyone has ANY helpful information I beg of you, please give it to me. 

Updated as of 01/25/2018. Every time this app gets tweaked something goes wrong.

I would go to settings on my fireTV or stick and go to in this order Settings, device and restart. Then you may be able to login. I was able to log-on with my provider and I did get it to work but Closed captioning has been disabled. Even when I try to enable it it reverts back to NO captioning. Other than that it works ok.

When I saw the new sign on screen all I thought was uh oh.

Based on my experience with this app it seems to have been working flawlessly (at least for me) since 04/12/2017

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, TanyaW said:

And if course as usual there is STILL no way for us to actually contact anyone to report or get answers from. I continue to ask WHY???????? 

having the same issue--haven't watched for a while, clicked on directv, and for ten minutes the screen is black...what???? I don't even get to the sign in part

• Thanks 1

Same issue here, FireTV failed yesterday, at first I had an endless login with screen after screen of picking out the roadsigns, this ended with a black screen.  Now all we get is a black screen.  No joy, first the monthly magazine died, now the endless app issues.

• Thanks 1

So now the app loads as it did before but when I select a movie I just get the circle of death (meaning the movie doesn't load). Can't speak to the closed captions because now I cannot even get there. 

• Thanks 1

I FINALLY got it to work by pressing various buttons when the “authorization” screen was up. Can’t tell you which button worked-thought it was the “next page” but when I tried that on my 2nd Firestick it didn’t work. So just pressing random buttons for forward back etc made it suddenly “login”. 

Now, I keep getting the “circle of death” as well (had to Lol at that one!!) and so I have to keep going into the manage apps area of settings,force stopping and clearing the cache then it works. It’s a real pain in the **** though, to have to keep doing that literally EVERY time I leave the app and go back. 

TCM needs to get their **** together and fix it. No excuse for the problem laden product they are giving us. 

Good luck everyone!!

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

inertia2 said:

“Updated as of 01/25/2018. Every time this app gets tweaked something goes wrong. 

I would go to settings on my fireTV or stick and go to in this order Settings, device and restart. Then you may be able to login. I was able to log-on with my provider and I did get it to work but Closed captioning has been disabled. Even when I try to enable it it reverts back to NO captioning. Other than that it works ok. 

When I saw the new sign on screen all I thought was uh oh. 

Based on my experience with this app it seems to have been working flawlessly (at least for me) since 04/12/2017”

Well I had already restarted my Firestick numerous times it did nothing to help. It’s not the problem of the stick it’s TCM that has a messed up app. I’m glad it’s worked “flawlessly” for you but since that time for me it’s had CONSTANT issues. My husband now knows that when I sit, with massive frustrated sighs at night, that I must be having “TCM problems again?” YES!! What else, I say. I haven’t had the CC issues you have but I usually turn them off because they cover parts of the movie and you can’t adjust the size as you can in other apps. Good luck on that! 

On 1/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, andyg0404 said:

I just tried to watch Day For Night and only the first ten minutes or so is up on the website. 

Same here. I kept checking back for several days to see if it was fixed and finally I just gave up and never watched it. Now I'm trying to watch It Happened One Night and the same thing is wrong. It's just the intro with maybe 10-15 minutes of the film and then it ends with the 'You Just Watched' screen. It's incredibly annoying...I made an account here just to comment since I don't see anywhere on the TCM On Demand site to report problems...

Looks like there was a fix as of 02/07/2017. Tried watching got an error message then tried again. It seems to be working now (at least for me) and captions are back.

Remember when in doubt reboot. Hopefully that will clear up any issues...

WHATS UP WITH THE CHAMP ON-DEMAND????

Ahhh, TCM, you never fail to disappoint again, and again.
I'll admit your track record for this month had been pretty good (for me at least) up until today.
I settled back to watch THE CHAMP (1931) that old tear jerker of a classic that I hadn't seen on TCM since late 2015.
Normally this movie has an 85-86 min run-time, but NOT ON-DEMAND.
The movie cuts out at 41.36 min. And that includes a 1.38 min intro and a 47 second Outro from Ben, leaving approximately 39 min of actual movie (less than half) which abruptly shuts down while Beery and company are driving back after Jackie visits his mom for the first time.
What a disappointment, and a dishonor to this wonderful film. Either show the whole damn thing or don't show it at all (ON-DEMAND). Last month TCM did the same thing with WINGS OF DESIRE (1987).
The people "in-charge" (and I use that word with a lot of latitude) of your ON-DEMAND streaming services are really dropping the ball again. Is there no one monitoring any of this at your end?
I know it pains us viewers, but it never should be up to us to do your job for you.
Quality? Where is the "consistent" Quality that TCM promotes when it comes to your streaming services???

I (and I'm sure at least a few others) would really appreciate if someone at your end got on the ball and corrected this issue immediately so we could actually watch this precode gem that TCM infrequently airs.

Thanks for "hearing" me out and I hope someone at TCM actually takes this sort of criticism to heart.
Praise when praiseworthy, "constructive" criticism when duly warranted.

Sincerely a very long-time TCM viewer and yes, I am a fan ;)

• Thanks 1

Yep, you're correct. Just checked. Have not looked at other films on demand so far. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way when I went to the TCM app on my FireTV the other day instead of the new and improved single sign-in just from the app it asked me to use the old verification/activation method. Looks like the last update was 02/12/2018.

In the future it may be better to contact the developer directly here.. at least one of them should work

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

WHATS UP WITH THE CHAMP ON-DEMAND????
(see above post for details)

Well the Moderator deleted my separate thread about the above described issue. That's both good and bad I suppose.
Bad in that there was no comment or rationale from the Mod that my post was deleted, say for redundancy...
Bad because there is no acknowledgement here by the Mod that the concern has at least been read and forwarded to someone at TCM Central.

Possibly Good, in that if the Moderator deleted it perhaps it was read, and dare I hope that it was reported in spite of no courteous acknowledgement or affirmation of such????

Perhaps that last bit might be too much to hope for here since the Mod/s of late appear to be fond of anonymously deleting posts and threads without any explanation whatsoever.

• Thanks 2

DAY SIX, AND COUNTING DOWN... THE CHAMP IS ALMOST OUT OF TIME FOR A COMEBACK!

Just can't keep your finger off of that DELETE key, can you! :rolleyes:

Thank you!

DAY SEVEN, AND THE CHAMP IS DOWN FOR THE FINAL COUNT!

Still less than half a movie available ON-DEMAND! :(

10, 9, 8, 7, 6,... ONLY A FEW MORE HOURS BEFORE THE CHAMP IS OUT!

Totally ignored by TCM... They really DON'T want us to watch this one in it's entirety ON-DEMAND.... Just a "teaser." Why even list it there at all???

I got an email stating you made a post about the itchy finger (which cracked me up) and now I see it isn’t there so perhaps this is the one you’re referring to or did they delete yet another? Who are these “moderators” anyway? Do they even have any real connection with TPTB? 

Sorry you didn’t get to see your movie. I tried for a week to watch “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”, as it is one I haven’t seen yet but all I kept getting was an error and the choice to either “retry” or “cancel”.  Yippee. It was never watchable at least not for me. I bet they would blame it on the Fire Stick even though all other apps work just fine. For the most part anyway Lol

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, TanyaW said:

I got an email stating you made a post about the itchy finger (which cracked me up) and now I see it isn’t there so perhaps this is the one you’re referring to or did they delete yet another? Who are these “moderators” anyway? Do they even have any real connection with TPTB

Sorry you didn’t get to see your movie. I tried for a week to watch “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”, as it is one I haven’t seen yet but all I kept getting was an error and the choice to either “retry” or “cancel”.  Yippee. It was never watchable at least not for me. I bet they would blame it on the Fire Stick even though all other apps work just fine. For the most part anyway Lol

Ahhh, so you must have this thread in "auto follow" mode.
Yeah, the Mod here has a predilection for deleting posts and threads on these boards without any explanation.
Deleted several of mine from this very thread. And we are now "dueling" over another thread of mine that he or she has deleted four times (and counting) since yesterday. It has happened before.
"Who Are They?"
Probably persons not much different than you or I, except that they have agreed to accept a position (likely uncompensated) as a "Moderator."
Generally Moderators follow some sort of standard protocol but they are from time to time required to exercise some sort of discretion. I have No idea what the moderator "guidelines" are for these boards, and just how much individual discretion is left up to them. "We", as posters have our own set of guidelines to follow here as well, and under ordinary circumstances (on most boards) Moderators generally do not act unless those guidelines have been flagrantly violated. Most mods will also generally "warn" a poster regarding any such "abuse" and when they do intervene in any capacity will provide some explanatory comment. However I do not see that happening much of late on these boards.  There used to be a "team" of moderators on these boards, collectively referred to as "Moderator1." Not sure how many (or few) there are these days...
"Do they even have any real connection with..." Anyone at TCM?
It appears that "they" have minimal direct contact beyond the ability to forward our (or their) concerns to someone, somewhere, within the TCM "chain of command."
On some occasions the Moderator(s) here have informed posters that someone at TCM is aware of certain problems and are working to resolve them. Too many other times we receive no response at all. And many posters (including myself) have used every avenue of communication available to us here (email, phone calls, snail mail, etc.) to actually contact someone at TCM regarding questions or concerns, but I am not aware that any of us have ever received anything (other than an occasional non-specific generic response) for our efforts.
"Sorry you didn’t get to see your movie"
Well, as Alfred Hitchcock has been quoted, "It's only a mooovvviee." And it's not like one that I haven't seen before, or have alternate access to. My beef is that there appears to be a complacent non-professional attitude from those at TCM over their highly promoted and sadly dysfunctional streaming "products." I have no complaints about the regular TV service. But as a fan of TCM I am embarrassed when asked to comment to anyone about TCM's streaming "features" and their host of "apps." I would really like to see them get their act together for once and all.
I am sorry that you are experiencing ongoing conflict issues with your Firestick and TCM. I don't have one so I can be of no real help to you about that. But I can share this, I was able to rewatch “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and I consider it a very good (albeit, edited down) Tennessee Williams screen adaptation. All involved delivered sterling performances and if you have never seen it (or would like to see it again) may I suggest visiting your local public library. If they do not have it on their shelves, you can make an inter-library loan request for the DVD (and Williams' play as well, if you like to read). :)
And Thank you for your reply (to my deleted post)

FOURTH time I re-posted that thread.
I edited it down to where TCM appears to be almost "blameless" regarding incompetence that causes these things to happen over and over again. So why don't you behave like a "responsible" Moderator and forward this concern to whomever you sometimes do at TCM and see if they will do anything about it.
You know, you can check these things out for yourself and confirm validity. You do have a PC. You do have net access. I presume that you also have a subscription with your TV provider that includes TCM. So why don't you start working with us instead of against us. You don't really have to DELETE our entire threads and posts like you do. But when you do feel such an overwhelming compulsion to do so, Why not at least "act like an adult" and give "us" the courtesy of some sort of explanatory comment.... is that too much to ask for?

I am going to re-post that thread a FIFTH time. Please read it AND THEN DO NOT delete it, as I am sure that even You will be able to see and agree, there is Nothing in that thread that should deem it worthy of Deletion.
Unless the act of commenting on anything that doesn't work as it should regarding TCM is now forbidden to post about here?