TCMModerator1

Watch TCM

74 posts in this topic

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to watch the movies of late. The video freezes while the audio continues. Right now I've got S.O.B. up and all I can get is the audio, the video won't move past the Warner Brothers logo. Anyone else having this problem? It's really frustrating. 

• Thanks 1

Are you watching via FireTV or on your Brower, phone etc? I was able to get to play on my FireTV and also on my computer. I did get an error message on the FireTV but I hit retry and it seems to work fine. I have a saying "when in doubt reboot". If you are using a fire TV Refresh the the device. Go to settings/ Device and Restart. It might help and certainly wont hurt. Good Luck! 😁

• Thanks 1

I watch on my desktop, A Dell, running Windows 7. I did reboot the machine and the movie ran from that point on. Tonight it was particularly egregious but for the last few weeks it's been freezing and I have to slightly advance it to get it to run again. Thanks for your response. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, andyg0404 said:

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to watch the movies of late. The video freezes while the audio continues. Right now I've got S.O.B. up and all I can get is the audio, the video won't move past the Warner Brothers logo. Anyone else having this problem? It's really frustrating

Hi Andy,
Though my experience hasn't been quite as severe as what you are experiencing, I have also been unable to watch S.O.B. completely through today, without noticing several intermittent video freezes while the audio continues. The movie eventually ends, but not without these problems.
I have tried twice, and will try one more time before writing it off. This time I will attempt to note if the freezes occur at the same times. If so, that would appear to indicate a consistent bad upload originating with TCM that I am thinking likely occurred when transferring the movie to their servers.

I am watching from my PC, also with Win 7 pro, and using the Firefox ver. 59.0.2 with Adobe Flash ver. 29.0.0.140.
ISP & TV provider is COX cable, and using Ethernet from modem to PC for most consistent streaming.

I may not be watching the same movies as yourself, but I can say that I have been able to completely watch some other movies of late without experiencing this same problem (though it has occasionly occurred before, along with the appearance of buffering (little spinning circle).
However I always check and recheck my ISP download speed with speedtest.net whenever I experience any such problem (generally only with TCM) and my speeds have appeared consistent and more than adequate. Also contrast that with other streaming services at the time (PBS, YouTube, Netflix, etc.) without any problem.
No other apps running on my system when streaming other than above, so I generally conclude that such problems are rooted at TCM, either from their servers, or inconsistent streaming, or ????.

I will note that TCM has again (as usual) been experiencing several problem issues that I have posted in other threads on this board, and what we are seeing with S.O.B. (and some others that you have noticed), may very well be an extension of these current TCM issues.

When you make such a post, it is always good to offer as much info as you can, and list specific titles, so that others of us may be able to cross-check, ideally using similar devices and configurations as yourself.

Thanks for posting

ADDENDUM:
Hey, I was wondering if you would do me a favor and check and see if DODSWORTH loads and plays at your end?
Just a black screen at my end since it first appeared on the ON-DEMAND title list.
Please post back here with your results.
thanks

I watched Dodsworth in its last rotation but I just now tried and only got the black screen, it will not load. When I have problems it doesn't matter if I'm using Chrome or Internet Explorer it's the same for both browsers. Yesterday's problems were extreme and as I said rebooting fixed it but I've had intermittent problems with various movies for the last few weeks. I sometimes get the buffering circle as well. Thanks for your post, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, andyg0404 said:

I watched Dodsworth in its last rotation but I just now tried and only got the black screen, it will not load. When I have problems it doesn't matter if I'm using Chrome or Internet Explorer it's the same for both browsers. Yesterday's problems were extreme and as I said rebooting fixed it but I've had intermittent problems with various movies for the last few weeks. I sometimes get the buffering circle as well. Thanks for your post, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem. 

Sadly my friend, we are far from alone when it comes to chronic TCM issues.

Thanks for checking and confirming what I already knew.

There have been a long string of such movies as Dodsworth, since the last week of April.
Many that appeared on that Day's Schedule as Available for On-Demand Viewing, but weren't, and didn't show up on the All Movies ON-DEMAND alphabetized title list until they were well on the way to expiring.
Then there have been numerous movies that funally made it to the All Movies ON-DEMAND list, that were just like Dodsworth, unloadable, black screen...
TCM finally got around to "correcting" most of these (their problems) but too often well within the 7 Day viewing window. A few were made viewable with the last hours of the final day.

I created a running thread with every title listed and notes since this most recent TCM snafu episode began. I will keep it up-to-date for a while longer.
I have asked, repeatedly, for a Moderator to respond and let me know if they are forwarding any of this to TCM, but none of them have replied. I know that they read my posts and threads, because they like to edit or delete them. But am receiving no confirmation from them that by posting all of this info that it is actually of any benefit.
Without a response, I can only assume that the belated corrections that TCM has made (and might yet make) are merely coincidental and NOT the result of any in-put posted here.
Very sad indeed as TCM is consistent in only one thing, and that is they are consistently unreliably when it comes to streaming and ON-DEMAND.
Perhaps the only benefit of these boards and our threads and posts can be, is to reassure ourselves that so many of these shared problems are coming straight from TCM.

20 hours ago, andyg0404 said:

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to watch the movies of late. The video freezes while the audio continues. Right now I've got S.O.B. up and all I can get is the audio, the video won't move past the Warner Brothers logo. Anyone else having this problem? It's really frustrating. 

14 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Hi Andy,
Though my experience hasn't been quite as severe as what you are experiencing, I have also been unable to watch S.O.B. completely through today, without noticing several intermittent video freezes while the audio continues. The movie eventually ends, but not without these problems.
I have tried twice, and will try one more time before writing it off. This time I will attempt to note if the freezes occur at the same times. If so, that would appear to indicate a consistent bad upload originating with TCM that I am thinking likely occurred when transferring the movie to their servers.  ......... ...........

Andy, I re-watched S.O.B. and this time there were only a total of 12 seconds of intermittent freezes (sometimes accompanied by little buffering circles). Again, my speedtest.net download streams were more than adequate, and no problem streaming from other sources.
Since the "freezes" are not consistent, I deduce that the problem is still of TCM origin, but rather than an embedded server issue, it is most likely just an inconsistent and uncorrected streaming issue.
I've spoken with others and they believe that such events can occur when a server is overloaded, which does apparently happen at TCM. However, I have streamed this movie three times now, at different times of different days and the problem has still occurred in varying degrees, with this particular movie, and not others viewed before or after it.
So I frankly can't make an educated guess as to what is going on at the TCM end that makes this continue to happen.

It's a Really good Hollywood satire, and historically relevant as being William Holden's last film.
When the movie streams well the picture quality of the source is outstanding.
Considering this is TCM, I suppose I should be grateful that that it plays at all.

It will be available ON-DEMAND for a few more hours if you want to try again.
Also TCM has offered S.O.B. before ON-DEMAND (without this problem) and may do so again????
Thankfully, this is a movie that is available on DVD, so there are sources, other than TCM.
When TCM let's me down, I first check out my local library for a title, if they don't have it I request an inter-library loan. If the dvd is available in the states, and I am patient, I am usually not disappointed.

I just watched Charade. About 32 minutes in it locked up and I couldn't revive it. Shut down and rebooted. Had trouble bringing it back up then when I finally got it up I watched it to the end but for the rest of the film the video would periodically freeze and the buffering would halt it completely. Sometimes the buffering would end but a few times I had to refresh the page and try and find the point where I had left it. Very frustrating. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, andyg0404 said:

I just watched Charade. About 32 minutes in it locked up and I couldn't revive it. Shut down and rebooted. Had trouble bringing it back up then when I finally got it up I watched it to the end but for the rest of the film the video would periodically freeze and the buffering would halt it completely. Sometimes the buffering would end but a few times I had to refresh the page and try and find the point where I had left it. Very frustrating. 

I understand, I will cross-check Charade and see if I have the same experience.

Note: When I report that a movie will load and play, I mean that it will at least start to play normally.
I generally only check most movies for a minute or so, to see if they load and begin to play normally. And whether TCM is streaming a movie in "Window-Box" format.
The only movies that I check comprehensively are those few that I am actually interested in watching for myself, or when I notice a problem within the first couple of minutes, or when cross-checking a title for somebody else.

I have a very fast machine, 32 GB RAM, Top end GPU, primary & secondary drives are SSD
direct ethernet connection to modem, No other apps running but browser and flashplayer when streaming from TCM.
So, just to rule out the potential of other variables,
When streaming from TCM: 
What is your download speed at the time of problems? (speedtest.net is a reliable check)
Are you using Ethernet or Wifi for streaming?
Are you running any other apps? (aside from browser & Flashplayer)

UPDATE:
Andy, Right after I made this post (within an hour after you posted) I began playing and digitally recording (off-screen) Charade.  Afterward I reviewed that entire recording and found not a single freeze or buffer. The picture was quite beautiful and unfettered throughout.
I know that we both have COX cable, so that is comparatively good, however I can say from past experience that a few years ago I used to have inconsistent streaming issues that were finally resolved when a COX tech discovered a 30 plus year old pole line directly to my house that was frayed through the insulation. During wet or windy days, it shorted creating the streaming problems I experienced.
Not saying that is what is causing your current problem, as TCM is also very inconsistent at their end, and has been verifiably screwing up of late. But it is another potential variable that should be ruled out, when we can't duplicate the same problem from two separate ends.
Other variables could be the use of old or defective cable splitters, etc.
Even if your personal equipment is up to snuff, any line coming into and through your house into your modem could also potentially cause such a problem.
When my problems occurred back then, the one consistent symptom that caused me such angst was that during those experiences my streaming speeds dipped way below what they were supposed to be, well below what I was paying for, and below the minimum required by TCM.
I had (and have) multiple modems and systems to cross-check with at my end, to trouble shoot and verify that my equipment is sound. But I had no control of any of the lines coming into (and leaving) my house. They belonged to the utilities and the cable provider.
My long standing issue back then, was finally resolved when COX replaced that defective line, which I also personally examined.
So again, please be sure to check your download speeds for consistency, before and after you begin streaming, and especially whenever you have such a problem.
You can use COX's speedtest software, but I prefer a reliable outside source like speedtest.net for a more trusted "second opinion."

Please post back with any additional information, and I will do my best to help (if I can).
BTW, I can transfer this recorded Charade (even the S.O.B.) stream to a disc or a usb thumb drive and send it to you for your examination, if you wish. But you will need to view it through your PC with appropriate media player software, as it will just be a single mp4 file. (I do not wish to take the time to convert it to a normal playable vob dvd.)
Let me know whether you wish for me to transfer or just delete those files from off my hard drive.  

I have FIOS and speeds are good. No apps running. I've seen the film so you can discard your files. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, andyg0404 said:

I have FIOS and speeds are good. No apps running. I've seen the film so you can discard your files. Thanks. 

Will do. :)

Just checked Desire with Marlene Dietrich and the whole feed is only 50 minutes. Glad I decided to tape it along with Angel and The Devil is a Woman, both of which appear to be at full length. 

• Thanks 1

Just watched School For Scoundrels, more or less. Aside from about 30 minutes in the middle the video continuously froze while the audio ran on. For the several scenes available I just switched over to Youtube. Nothing changed in my set-up from this afternoon when I watched The Enchanted Cottage with no problems. Another frustrating encounter with TCM On Demand. 

• Thanks 1

Same thing today, watched To Be or Not To Be this afternoon but I'm trying to watch Hide-Out now and the video continues to freeze. Starts with the movie rating screen. Does it have something to do with more people accessing the site in the evening than during the day? Whatever it is it makes watching the movies impossible. 

I'm watching on my desktop, thanks. I've written to TCM through the board and through their email but never heard back and don't expect to. This, along with other issues, continue to go unaddressed by TCM. As I and other board members have said, it's very frustrating. 

Hi By the way I got that link from Victoria from Filmstruck

So I use the TCM App mostly on FireTV. I have used the app on my phone and I have watched online. The app for FireTV has been around for more than two years and I actually found it by accident. I really couldn't believe it when I came across it. Since that time it really hasn't changed much and it's still ONLY available for the FireTV and of course you MUST have a subscription to cable in order to use it. I, like many other fans of TCM have been waiting for a stand alone app for years. I think its coming and for me the sooner the better. Its just a matter of time before we will all be streaming everything anyway. I can not speak for TCM and its customer service regarding its streaming platform. But I can speak about Filmstruck's customer service. Very attentive. They always get back to me when I have contacted them. If you haven't tried Filmstruck, you should. Two weeks free and you get Filmstruck and the Criterion collection for 99.00 for an entire year if you pay up front.

Good luck,

Kevin

May 15, 11:31 PM EDT wew

This is a follow-up to your previous request #94508 "Second attempt to follow-up..."

Hi Victoria,
Not sure if your department troubleshoots the TCM App for FireTV But if it is the same department you might want to pass along that all the films currently listed do not play and receive an error message when clicking on Play Now. This app has been around since April 19, 2016. I often wonder why TCM doesn't have a stand alone app like HBO or even filmstruck. I am sure that that the thinking is that a standalone app would make the current cable offering less valuable. If not for the fact that I am and always have been and always will be a dyed in the wool TCM fan. I would cut my cable immediately.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

It's Victoria again with FilmStruck.

The TCM app is actually a separate application with its own Help Center. For your convenience, I have provided you with a link to contact TCM below. 

Here's a copy of what I've sent to the TCM Help Desk. I'm hoping for an answer soon.

Movies are not loading on my iPhone 6 nor my iPad; each device has the latest iOS. I have tried everything I know to do like checking the wifi, etc. The spinner just keeps spinning and spinning. For what it's worth, I've also tried to watch TCM online with my MacBook Air and iMac. I get the same problem; the movies do not load. My cable provider is Spectrum.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vickey M said:

Here's a copy of what I've sent to the TCM Help Desk. I'm hoping for an answer soon.

Movies are not loading on my iPhone 6 nor my iPad; each device has the latest iOS. I have tried everything I know to do like checking the wifi, etc. The spinner just keeps spinning and spinning. For what it's worth, I've also tried to watch TCM online with my MacBook Air and iMac. I get the same problem; the movies do not load. My cable provider is Spectrum.

Hi Vickey,
Very, very sadly, TCM has never yet directly responded to any queries that any of us, that have posted in threads here, have reported.
Neither to phone calls, assorted emails, or even snail mail (not ever over the decade plus that I have been around here).
All of TCM's avenues of "communication" appear to be dead ends.

Not to discourage you, as I do encourage all to at least try, and you may (and I sincerely hope you will be) the first to actually get a direct reply from someone (anyone) that actually works at TCM.
And if you do, please start a thread here posting about it because we all would like to know that it actually happened to someone here!

In the meantime....
Not sure how long you have been experiencing this, or if this is related to your problem...
But have you also made sure that your Browser Privacy Settings are set to allow TCM and their 3rd Party vendors to TRACK you?
If you have been using WATCH TCM successfully the last two years then you probably already know that TCM made a change back then requiring all viewers of WATCH TCM on-line, to have their Browser Privacy Settings set to ALLOW ALL 3rd Party Cookies and Site Data onto their devices in order to successfully "sign-in" and actually watch an on-line movie from TCM...
Well, as of this last Website revision, that most of us experienced on 6/20/2018, TCM added that they also require that all viewers change their Browser Privacy Settings to Allow TCM and their 3rd Party "affiliates" and Vendors, etc. to TRACK your whereabouts and on-line activities. 

The TCM website is notoriously Not Safe, nor Secure, so if this proves to be the reason why you are unable to "load a movie" on your various devices, then I strongly suggest you habitually adopt the following routine Whenever you use WATCH TCM to stream an on-line movie:

First, always keep Both the WATCH TCM Films page and Your Browsers Privacy & Security Options Page Open and readily available in separate Tabs on the browsers upper bar.
Before ever attempting to "sign-in" to WATCH TCM, be sure to Delete your Browsing History.
Then change your Browser Privacy & Security Settings to ALWAYS ALLOW both 3rd Party  Cookies and Site Data, AND, ALLOW website TRACKING. Then "sign-in" to WATCH TCM with your your TV Service Provider account info. 
Then, A second or two immediately after your movie effectively loads and begins to play, Pause the movie, go back into your Privacy Settings and Reverse them to something you deem is more satisfactorily "secure." Then reload (or refresh) the Browser Privacy Options tab, and clear your cache of cookies and site data, and again delete your browsing history.
Then Return to the WATCH TCM film page, and relax and enjoy the movie!
If you wish to watch another TCM movie
, Be sure to Exit and Reload a Fresh browser for each movie that you watch on TCM, AND Repeat the above process!

I know that all the above may appear a little excessive, But this is what TCM has forced us to resort to in order to (Hopefully) minimize TCM's invasiveness.
We are all vulnerable enough to a world of uninvited calamity whenever we do anything on-line, and TCM is ever insistent that we make ourselves even more vulnerable by leaving the door wide open for any intruder who wishes to enter our systems.
If we wish to continue enjoying the WATCH TCM movies, then we need to be as reasonably careful and "safe" as we can be while doing so.

BTW, the "safest" (most user sympathetic) browser to use these days apparently is Firefox. (And the most user sympathetic search engine appears to be DuckDuckGo.)

Avoid using Google and Google Chrome (as they employ their own persistent telemetry "spyware") as does Microsoft Edge and Bing.
Of course those using the MS Windows 10 Operating System, are pretty well stuck with MS's heavy, controlling hand and invasive telemetry, and may wish to consider switching their OS to one of Linux's that is most applicable to specific devices.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Hi how are you accessing TCM on demand? I use my browser occasionally but when I am home I use the fireTV exclusively. There have been in the past some glitches but most were ironed out quickly. The new TCM app is really great at least for me. The fact that you can now watch live TV on the app (firetv) is really great.

I posted this link before. This should still work. I would direct you here. TCM help center. Good luck!

Kevin

https://help.tcm.com/hc/en-us 

Hello. I just sent TCM direct feedback about buffering issues I'm experiencing with watchtcm app on Fire tv 2. It's been pretty miserable for the past 6-8 weeks. ISP is AT&T and service is 75Mbps. connected via.5GHz radio with  very strong signal. No other streaming channel  buffers except for watchtcm.  Buffering is defined as playback pauses for several seconds with spinning circle.

Using watchtcm on demand is my preferred way to watch movies and host intros.