Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recently Watched Horror

80 posts in this topic

Michael Sarrazin suffers from nightmares which he begins to believe are linked to a previous life in "The Resurrection of Peter Proud" (1975) which looks great in new blu ray  edition.  Margot Kidder gives the best performance as the woman who might have killed him.   The film needed a more imaginative director than J L Thomsom- it feels like a TV movie except for the nudity.  The script by novelist Max Erlich does not explore some of the darker aspects of the story. This is more psychological mystery than horror.

• Thanks 1

Mark of the Vampire (1935). Bela Lugosi is back as the iconic Count, this time he’s Count Mora, and he’s assisted by his daughter Luna (Carroll Borland).  The Count’s castle is infested with bats, rats, roaches – making it a scary place even if vampires didn’t live there.  Count Mora smiles with pride at Luna’s hunting skills, and a deliciously diabolical smile at that.  Lionel Barrymore plays a role similar to Van Helsing. I had the rug pulled out from under me by that twist ending, and it was quite a pleasant surprise, although it’s the kind of ending that may not appeal to everyone. Mark of the Vampire drips with atmosphere. It was directed by horror ace Tod Browning and lensed by legendary cinematographer James Wong Howe.

34 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Mark of the Vampire (1935). Bela Lugosi is back as the iconic Count, this time he’s Count Mora, and he’s assisted by his daughter Luna (Carroll Borland).  The Count’s castle is infested with bats, rats, roaches – making it a scary place even if vampires didn’t live there.  Count Mora smiles with pride at Luna’s hunting skills, and a deliciously diabolical smile at that.  Lionel Barrymore plays a role similar to Van Helsing. I had the rug pulled out from under me by that twist ending, and it was quite a pleasant surprise, although it’s the kind of ending that may not appeal to everyone. Mark of the Vampire drips with atmosphere. It was directed by horror ace Tod Browning and lensed by legendary cinematographer James Wong Howe.

I also like the twist ending (or what some call the twisted ending),  but there has been many discussions about that at this forum and many felt they were cheated.     Since I view all horror as camp (to some degree),  I enjoyed the different perspective the ending provided,  but I do understand why some felt it was making a mocking of the horror \ vampire  genre.

• Like 1

They are selling this film a classy period ghost story like "The Others" but the actual film is more like a slow moving period drama with supernatural overtones- I had a hard time keeping awake

• Thanks 2

A group of teenage boys hunt for a serial killer in this effective suspense thriller...

• Thanks 2