Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Recently Watched Horror

192 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I think Jordan Peele avoided the sophomore jinx.  While Us is not as inventive as Get Out, the first act showed so much promise. Once Adelaide enters the carnival fun house, with the beckoning neon sign “Find Yourself”, I knew things were about to get interesting.  But then it turned into a slasher film, (which Peele, a horror aficionado, has an affinity for).  Effective at first, the carnage later became numbing.

Conceptually, Us begs the question, are the underground doppelgängers more advanced than their cultured twins, who get to experience sunrises, blue skies, not to mention pollution, extreme heat and cold, tornadoes, etc.? You mention Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which wouldn’t surprise if that classic served as an influence. The performances were uniformly good, and the music certainly helped pump up the fright, especially that interspersed demonic chant.  I’ve read that Peele has dropped a generous supply of Easter eggs for eager fans, and the film merits repeat viewings.  Perhaps.  For now, I’ll give Us a solid B.

I think the first half hour is excellent- Peele has a real talent for directing horror- but the film falls apart in the second half.  How can the underground doppelgangers be more advance?  They are the Morloks to our Eloi.   If you want to read the film as metaphor on how most comfortable modern Americans are blind to the reality of the third world suffering? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jaragon said:

I think the first half hour is excellent- Peele has a real talent for directing horror- but the film falls apart in the second half.  How can the underground doppelgangers be more advance?  They are the Morloks to our Eloi.   If you want to read the film as metaphor on how most comfortable modern Americans are blind to the reality of the third world suffering? 

I think you've highlighted the plot holes in Us. Peele was attempting to make socio-political statements about materialism, race-relations, class. The subterranean doubles work remarkably well together. They don't discriminate according to race. Class distinctions don't exist. They are the definition of tribal. So maybe they aren't so advanced after all. Similar issues were explored in the original Star Trek, and Us is resurrecting arguments that were made in 1960's, when American fissures were so prevalent - Vietnam, civil rights, feminism.  Today it exists on a global scale, with immigration & income inequality  taking center stage. The prologue was great, but then it lost steam, and the third act reveal wasn't very shocking. Most definitely that Peele is a skilled horror storyteller, and I'm looking forward to his next film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I think you've highlighted the plot holes in Us. Peele was attempting to make socio-political statements about materialism, race-relations, class. The subterranean doubles work remarkably well together. They don't discriminate according to race. Class distinctions don't exist. They are the definition of tribal. So maybe they aren't so advanced after all. Similar issues were explored in the original Star Trek, and Us is resurrecting arguments that were made in 1960's, when American fissures were so prevalent - Vietnam, civil rights, feminism.  Today it exists on a global scale, with immigration & income inequality  taking center stage. The prologue was great, but then it lost steam, and the third act reveal wasn't very shocking. Most definitely that Peele is a skilled horror storyteller, and I'm looking forward to his next film.

I do think that he was aiming for some sort of political statement- and the final images which I think both recall Romero's zombies and Hitchcock " The Birds" suggest a apocalypse that will not be stopped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw and hated the new version of "Pet Sematary"- another terrible version of one of Stephen King's best novels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I just saw and hated the new version of "Pet Sematary"- another terrible version of one of Stephen King's best novels.

I talked with a family member this afternoon who also went to see it today. They agreed with your assessment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I talked with a family member this afternoon who also went to see it today. They agreed with your assessment.

It is truly crappy- the people who made this movie should not be allowed anywhere near a camera again! The book is very scary- this movie is just lame and the last fifteen minutes are ridiculous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 6:10 PM, jaragon said:

I do think that he was aiming for some sort of political statement- and the final images which I think both recall Romero's zombies and Hitchcock " The Birds" suggest a apocalypse that will not be stopped.

Apocalypse for sure. That red line formed by them holding hands looked endless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's a question about Us (that will be filled with spoilers, so be forewarned):

If the plan was that each of the "Tethered" had to kill their above-ground double to be free, what happened when one of the Tethered killed some other above-ground person? Since the doppelgangers are supposed to be connected, and what happened to the people above was reflected on those below, does that mean that the "Tethered" version would die? For example, when the little girl is chased down the street by her double, they end up at that guy's car, and he comes out of his house to confront them. The girl's double is seen approaching the man as the girl runs away, and we hear stabbing sounds, so the assumption is that the double just killed him. What happens to his double, since everyone has one?

Normally these kinds of logic questions wouldn't be an issue with a supernatural fantasy, but since Peele decided to make things "scientific" with his explanations at the end, these questions begin to emerge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

So here's a question about Us (that will be filled with spoilers, so be forewarned):

If the plan was that each of the "Tethered" had to kill their above-ground double to be free, what happened when one of the Tethered killed some other above-ground person? Since the doppelgangers are supposed to be connected, and what happened to the people above was reflected on those below, does that mean that the "Tethered" version would die? For example, when the little girl is chased down the street by her double, they end up at that guy's car, and he comes out of his house to confront them. The girl's double is seen approaching the man as the girl runs away, and we hear stabbing sounds, so the assumption is that the double just killed him. What happens to his double, since everyone has one?

Normally these kinds of logic questions wouldn't be an issue with a supernatural fantasy, but since Peele decided to make things "scientific" with his explanations at the end, these questions begin to emerge.

Lawrence, that's a damned good question. As you pointed out, keeping the narrative simple, and avoiding excessive exposition, would have aided the movie.  Ambivalence isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with horror. Perhaps Peele has a sequel planned.  The best I can think of is that the "Tethered" survive simply by killing any above-ground person, it doesn't matter who it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Lawrence, that's a damned good question. As you pointed out, keeping the narrative simple, and avoiding excessive exposition, would have aided the movie.  Ambivalence isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with horror. Perhaps Peele has a sequel planned.  The best I can think of is that the "Tethered" survive simply by killing any above-ground person, it doesn't matter who it is. 

A sequel! Heaven help us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

So here's a question about Us (that will be filled with spoilers, so be forewarned):

If the plan was that each of the "Tethered" had to kill their above-ground double to be free, what happened when one of the Tethered killed some other above-ground person? Since the doppelgangers are supposed to be connected, and what happened to the people above was reflected on those below, does that mean that the "Tethered" version would die? For example, when the little girl is chased down the street by her double, they end up at that guy's car, and he comes out of his house to confront them. The girl's double is seen approaching the man as the girl runs away, and we hear stabbing sounds, so the assumption is that the double just killed him. What happens to his double, since everyone has one?

Normally these kinds of logic questions wouldn't be an issue with a supernatural fantasy, but since Peele decided to make things "scientific" with his explanations at the end, these questions begin to emerge.

I think the tethered concept works better as some of sort of symbol about the other- the movie would have made more sense as horror fantasy-the others come from a mirror universe and the girl broke through. I mean all I can think about what were they eating - those rabbits? And how were they been used to control the humans above ground?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mother and her two children are terrorized by "The Curse of La Llorona" (2019) the movie is low key horror inspired by the Latino myth of the Weeping Woman.  The Latino angle is the only interesting twist in an other wise routine movie which seems to be aimed at the kids.  Director Michael Chaves made the scarier short film 'The Maiden" (2016)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, jaragon said:

A mother and her two children are terrorized by "The Curse of La Llorona" (2019) the movie is low key horror inspired by the Latino myth of the Weeping Woman.  The Latino angle is the only interesting twist in an other wise routine movie which seems to be aimed at the kids.  Director Michael Chaves made the scarier short film 'The Maiden" (2016)

 

Thanks for the review. I watched the trailers and it didn't look very interesting. So far, there isn't one horror movie this year that I want to see. Us didn't look very promising either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Arsan404 said:

Thanks for the review. I watched the trailers and it didn't look very interesting. So far, there isn't one horror movie this year that I want to see. Us didn't look very promising either.

This does look to be a weak year, although there's usually one or two that come out of nowhere that end up being decent.

I've heard good stuff about The Lodge

 

and Brightburn looks amusing, a sort of "what if" scenario wherein the Superman origin story gets told as a horror story:

 

There's also a remake of Child's Play (ugh...I wasn't a fan of the original)

 another Annabelle haunted doll movie

 Midsommar, which is the new movie from the director of Hereditary although this looks like a retread of The Wicker Man

 It Chapter Two, which I'm looking forward to thanks to the cast

 Zombieland2, although that will be more of a comedy than a horror film

zombieland-2-double-tap.png?w=807

 and Doctor Sleep, based on Stephen King's follow up to The Shining

Doctor-Sleep-Release-Date-2019.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This does look to be a weak year, although there's usually one or two that come out of nowhere that end up being decent.

I've heard good stuff about The Lodge

 

and Brightburn looks amusing, a sort of "what if" scenario wherein the Superman origin story gets told as a horror story:

 

There's also a remake of Child's Play (ugh...I wasn't a fan of the original)

 another Annabelle haunted doll movie

 Midsommar, which is the new movie from the director of Hereditary although this looks like a reatread of The Wicker Man



 It Chapter Two, which I'm looking forward to thanks to the cast

 Zombieland2, although that will be more of a comedy than a horror film

zombieland-2-double-tap.png?w=807

 and Doctor Sleep, based on Stephen King's follow up to The Shining

Doctor-Sleep-Release-Date-2019.jpg

Thanks for the trailers. The Lodge and Midsommar look pretty good.

I'm also looking forward to Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

Thanks for the review. I watched the trailers and it didn't look very interesting. So far, there isn't one horror movie this year that I want to see. Us didn't look very promising either.

"Us" is actually better - I mean it  doesn't work but it tries- anything is better than the godawful remake of "Suspiria".  The best horror movies comes out left field- I did not like the trailer for new "Child's Play" .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jaragon said:

The best horror movies comes out left field

That's a very good, interesting point; The Witch is a good example. The Lodge and Midsommar seem to be in the same field. I hope they're as good as the trailers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed "The Nun" (2018) a prequel set in the Conjuring universe.  A priest ( Demian Bichar) and novice Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga) travel to Romania to investigate  a nun's suicide.  Director Corin Hardy is a Hammer fan and the movie has a classic horror look.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaragon said:

I really enjoyed "The Nun" (2018) a prequel set in the Conjuring universe.  A priest ( Demian Bichar) and novice Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga) travel to Romania to investigate  a nun's suicide.  Director Corin Hardy is a Hammer fan and the movie has a classic horror look.

I really wasn't crazy about any of the previous Conjuring movies, but I thought that The Nun was a halfway decent film. It had loads of atmosphere, even if it didn't always know what to do with it. It still had too many jump-scares, and some overly silly moments, but I liked it more than the others so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I really wasn't crazy about any of the previous Conjuring movies, but I thought that The Nun was a halfway decent film. It had loads of atmosphere, even if it didn't always know what to do with it. It still had too many jump-scares, and some overly silly moments, but I liked it more than the others so far.

Did you see "Anabelle -Creation" that is actually pretty good too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 9:41 PM, Arsan404 said:

Thanks for the trailers. The Lodge and Midsommar look pretty good.

I'm also looking forward to Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.

I'm also looking forward to The Lighthouse, Eggers' follow-up to the creepy & excellent The Witch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I'm also looking forward to The Lighthouse, Eggers' follow-up to the creepy & excellent The Witch

I want to see it, although I'm a bit weary of lighthouse stories after seeing several in the past few years. I really liked The Witch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I'm also looking forward to The Lighthouse, Eggers' follow-up to the creepy & excellent The Witch

The Witch is one of the best horror movies I've seen in along time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

I agree. I also enjoyed It Follows and Hereditary.

I also liked Hereditary. It is very well directed and Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne and Alex Wolff gave excellent performances.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us