Sign in to follow this  
FloydDBarber

Charles McGraw is it!

8 posts in this topic

I am now a dedicated Charles McGraw fan. Took me while. He always seemed older than his years due to that gravelly voice. A reviewer once said that any movie is enhanced if Charles McGraw appears in it. I believe that.

• Like 1

According to the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver),   McGraw was in 12 noir films.

In most of these he is a supporting player or uncredited;  Berlin Express,  Border Incident,  Brute Force, The Gangster, His Kind of Women,  The Killers,   Loophole,  Side Street, and T-Men.

He was the lead in Armed Car Robbery,  Roadblock and of course his most well known noir role,  The Narrow Margin.

He was also good in many non noir roles but typically as a lawman like ;  The Defiant Ones and, The Man in the Net.

He had small but memorable roles in Spartacus and as the fisherman in The Birds.

(and his screen persona also worked in a few westerns).

• Like 1

Another good RKO noir where McGraw is the lead-- ARMORED CAR ROBBERY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Car_Robbery

And he has a supporting role as Robert Blake's father in the film IN COLD BLOOD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood_(film)

I updated my post because I forgot to include Armored Car Robbery as one where he had a lead role.

Thanks

• Like 1

I updated my post because I forgot to include Armored Car Robbery as one where he had a lead role.

Thanks

Yes, I wondered why you didn't mention it!

I am now a dedicated Charles McGraw fan. Took me while. He always seemed older than his years due to that gravelly voice. A reviewer once said that any movie is enhanced if Charles McGraw appears in it. I believe that.

Definitely check out In Cold Blood (A Neo Noir masterpiece) it's one of his most powerful performances.

I am a big fan of McGraw. "Women have always loved the rough, tough guy," he once said. "And men like him too."

His first role was a bit in the horror flick The Undying Monster, from 1942. He is pictured below with James Ellison. Both attempted British accents in the film and failed miserably.

1PNJamm.png

McGraw was a middleweight boxer early in life. His degenerative hip condition caused him to fall through his glass shower door, which ended his life at 66.