Sign in to follow this  
dianedebuda

re: Forum Update 10/17/2017

217 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yay...thing's is fixeded, sorta.

Hmmm...not really, just the log-in bit. And the PM interface. And a notifier to tell me when my posts make them Sad.

And we're still stuck with the large emoticons. Why???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Yay...thing's is fixeded, sorta.

Hmmm...not really, just the log-in bit. And the PM interface. And a notifier to tell me when my posts make them Sad.

Well the sub-forum \ genres also display now.    Hopefully they plan on reducing the size of those emos.  

PS:  The genre sub-forums do NOT display.   I was using that 'trick' that someone recommend but when I logged out and back in they went away.   

Edited by jamesjazzguitar

Did you notice that if you click on the Members tab, there are ways to group members. One option is 'Most Content' and another is 'Most Posts.' What's the difference? I have 39,700 under Content and 39,200 under Posts. Confusing!

Finally figured out how to get separate paragraphs! For anyone else that has that problem, type "left pointing arrow, lower case p, right pointing arrow" at where you want the beginning and end of a paragraph to tell the software where you want paragraphs.

The gremlins are at work again. The font sizes are changing on the TCM online schedule. Hope the trailers will stay viewable, and the font won't become too tiny to read.

As for the cartoonish look to the website, scroll to the very bottom and look for Turner Entertainment websites. The first one listed is cartoonnetwork.com.

It's getting better.  Now at the top instead of saying "sign on" all the time even though I may be signed on, it has my name and avatar.  But, please, shrink the emojis and I'd still like the option of most recent posts listed first but I can go with the way it is if that's what the majority of people want.

Well I actually show signed in now and I can see my PMs, which weren’t showing this morning. I’d say that the site is a work in progress, so who knows how it’ll be when they’re done. Hopefully they’re working on the enormous emojis next. 

30 minutes ago, film lover 293 said:

Finally figured out how to get separate paragraphs! For anyone else that has that problem, type "left pointing arrow, lower case p, right pointing arrow" at where you want the beginning and end of a paragraph to tell the software where you want paragraphs.

The gremlins are at work again. The font sizes are changing on the TCM online schedule. Hope the trailers will stay viewable, and the font won't become too tiny to read.

As for the cartoonish look to the website, scroll to the very bottom and look for Turner Entertainment websites. The first one listed is cartoonnetwork.com.

Are you using IE?   I was and I had this same problem (text would just continue to 'go right' on one row forever!

So now I'm using Chrome and everything is a lot better (i.e. all text shows up on the screen).

Since we now have a "thanks" emoticon, it's only fair that we have a "you're welcome" emoticon. For those of you who text, you can have a "your welcome" emoticon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Anyone see how easy it is the post a pix now. Just drag and drop it from your own hard drive. No more Photobucket or any other outside service.

reefer.jpg.e0d4f86a74c928919a62c9d773b27499.jpg

"Anyone else like maryjane? This new software here has me back on it again! I can at least thank it for that!"

This alone might make it all worth it.

I see emoticons don't hog a line, they seem content to reside at the end of the sentence ... or maybe :) in the middle of one. We'll see when I submit. We submit now, not send.

Here's a pic, not sure how this is going to look.

EDIT: How cool! Take that, Photobucket

DSCF3508.JPG

Edited by laffite

That sad emoji offends me the most. If a friend told me thier aunt died, am I supposed send them that sad face to show that I care??? I admit I do use emojis occasionally, but only for happy comments. If they must have this things on screen, at least make them smaller and less obnoxious please.

I like the size of those large emoticons about as much as I would like someone who TYPED LIKE THIS all the time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Test

Untitled 6.png

Hey, it worked!  So pics directly from the computer.  A definite improvement.

Edited by slaytonf
update

jamesjazzguitar--Sorry to be late in posting my reply. I just found where they notify you of how people react to posts, and I just saw you quoted me. The answer is, my browser is Safari, and I'm guessing at how to work things on the new website. I'm not tech savvy enough to change my browser. Thanks for the information though.

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Did you notice that if you click on the Members tab, there are ways to group members. One option is 'Most Content' and another is 'Most Posts.' What's the difference? I have 39,700 under Content and 39,200 under Posts. Confusing!

Not to worry your little member head, TB, yours will always be "bigger" than most of "ours" (around here anyway). :rolleyes:
But do remember that just having the "Most" is not as important as knowing how to use a little to it's greatest effect. Often Quality outlasts Quantity...  ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you using IE?   I was and I had this same problem (text would just continue to 'go right' on one row forever!

So now I'm using Chrome and everything is a lot better (i.e. all text shows up on the screen).

This sounds similar to the end-of-line character sequence, where you can get different results on different programs:

Windows - Lines end with both a <CR> followed by a <LF> character
Linux  - Lines end with only a <LF> character
Macintosh (Mac OSX) - Lines end with only a <LF> character
Macintosh (old) - Lines end with only a <CR> character
https://confluence.qps.nl/display/KBE/Differences+in+end+of+line+characters+Mac%2C+Windows%2C+and+Linux

Also see character 10 (\n) and character 13 (\r) here:
http://www.asciitable.com/

So my guess is that they are using an editor that produces non-Windows EOL characters, and guess who doesn't follow anyone else's rules.  You can imagine my shock...  No EOL character would produce that as a result across the board (no pun intended), so they have to be using something in order for it to be working in Chrome (and Firefox - as it is okay for me).  Without actually having looked at this case, I consider this to be a software vendor issue.  Cough cough...Microsoft...wheeez.

Easy fix: don't use Internet Exploder.

A WORK-AROUND FOR THOSE USING FIREFOX THAT ARE EXPERIENCING "DISAPPEARING FORUMS" BELOW THE OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT BOARD
(Don't know yet if this is even a browser specific or TCM wide issue???)

The only way I've found to reaccess the long list of assorted Forums/Boards, etc. BELOW the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board (i.e. Kyle in Hollywood, down to the Technical Issues boards) is to go to the Upper Bar Double Click on COMMUNITY (because the drop down will not stay in place long enough to actually click on ANYTHING, i.e. MESSAGE BOARDS.)
When you see the TCM Classic Film Union is now closed page, again go to the upper bar and Hover the curser over COMMUNITY (Now the drop down will remain in place long enough to actually click on something.)
Clicking on the MESSAGE FORUM brings back the "complete" list of various message boards (INCLUDING those BELOW the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board.)
However after exiting from any of the Forums/Boards/Threads/Posts, etc. If you again desire access to anything below the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board, you will need to repeat the above process...

I know this is a ridiculous and seemingly unnecessary work-around for what once functioned so smoothly here, but since "the powers that be" have chosen to "dick" with what was a non-issue, it may be the only "work around" to allow access to those currently "disappearing" boards, until some "dick" decides it's an issue that needs to be "fixed."

Any expedient ideas regarding this please post here and also in the PINNED Technical Issues Forum Thread addressing the recent Board "UpGrade."

Near the top of the screen where it says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Near the top of the screen where is says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

Bravo, Lawrence, much quicker than my tedious "work-around." Thanks, :)

No telling when "they" will address the non-functioning drop-down issue, assuming that they are even aware of it among the myriad of problems that "they" have created with this "untested" garbage upgrade!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Cool!  Wonder if there is a small quota like the old board had.  That could influence how people use it, and how much crap like this gets posted.

Jecklin-Float-electrostatic-headphones.jpg.42ba564732cd3c422e210ce5461bdf9f.jpg

As per user-account uploads (dragging image file from local computer to composed post), it is looking like a 3MB capacity per user profile still. 

your "My Attachments" folder (you need to be logged in to view):
http://forums.tcm.com/attachments/

That will soon fill up and you will need to delete some pics to make room.  So no unlimited posting of images without "hotlinking" pics from an outside website (in other words nothing has really changed here).

5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Test

Untitled 6.png

Hey, it worked!  So pics directly from the computer.  A definite improvement.

Improvement? My whole life has changed.

14 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

It's getting better.  Now at the top instead of saying "sign on" all the time even though I may be signed on, it has my name and avatar.  But, please, shrink the emojis and I'd still like the option of most recent posts listed first but I can go with the way it is if that's what the majority of people want.

I agree with you; most recent posts should be first. If the first post viewable is 2 years old, it may no longer be relevant. It makes more sense to be able to research back if needed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Not to worry your little member head, TB, yours will always be "bigger" than most of "ours" (around here anyway). :rolleyes:
But do remember that just having the "Most" is not as important as knowing how to use a little to it's greatest effect. Often Quality outlasts Quantity...  ;)

I think I've had a lot of quality posts over the years, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to make that comment. I was asking why there is a discrepancy in the numbers between 'Content' and 'Posts' which seems like the same thing to me. I would have raised this issue even if I had less posts than everyone else.