Sign in to follow this  
dianedebuda

re: Forum Update 10/17/2017

217 posts in this topic

There still is no android-friendly version.  Ah well, whenever I'm wifi-ing at my local coffee shoppery, I'll just have to dilate the page and swipe.

I'm not minding the update so much. But there may be a few reasons. 1) I came in late and was spared the initial shock, 2) By the time I got here some of the glitches had already been corrected, and 3) I was able to school on the fine troubleshooters here in the membership pool who were quite resourceful in weeding out the small details and to promote discussion about them. By far the greatest innovation was the new way to post photos where image-hosting sights have been put out to pasture. The update runners have my undying respect and gratitude for this bombshell achievement. I am still in awe of this. Now if we can get views removed as well as preventing the embedding of youtube videos, we may actually approach Heaven on Earth. Btw, does anyone know if repeated thread title changes are still possible. That one has got to go. (It's hard to stay happy, isn't it.)

:)

On 10/24/2017 at 3:01 PM, TopBilled said:

Did you notice that if you click on the Members tab, there are ways to group members. One option is 'Most Content' and another is 'Most Posts.' What's the difference? I have 39,700 under Content and 39,200 under Posts. Confusing!

On 10/24/2017 at 9:27 PM, Stephan55 said:

you notice that if you click on the Members tab, there are ways to group members. One option is 'Most Content' and another is 'Most Posts.' What's the difference? I have 39,700 under Content and 39,200 under Posts. Confusing!

On 10/24/2017 at 9:27 PM, Stephan55 said:

Not to worry your little member head, TB, yours will always be "bigger" than most of "ours" (around here anyway). :rolleyes:
But do remember that just having the "Most" is not as important as knowing how to use a little to it's greatest effect. Often Quality outlasts Quantity...  ;)

On 10/25/2017 at 7:16 AM, TopBilled said:

I think I've had a lot of quality posts over the years, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to make that comment. I was asking why there is a discrepancy in the numbers between 'Content' and 'Posts' which seems like the same thing to me. I would have raised this issue even if I had less posts than everyone else.

It appears my metaphor is wasted on TB...

i.e. persons with a history of apparent "obsession" with "post count" possibly trying to overcompensate in one arena in an attempt to make up for undercompensation in another.

No offense intended TB, just an ineffective attempt at humor.:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fedya and jamesjazzguitar, if I'm understanding you, you're both in favor of the new default, oldest post first order.  That's what I was wanting as an option in the orig post.  What I'm trying to visualize is how the posters who prefer the latest post first order read a thread when there's been more than 1 message added since the last time they visited the thread.  I look at the forum every morning and it always just seemed so awkward to me, particularly with long posts.  Don't you have to scroll down to your last read, then up, down, up, down until you reach the top? Again, not a challenge to the latest first order preference, just curiousity.  Maybe it's simply that you're on the forum a lot and you see posts shortly after entry so there's no "to be read" stack up.  In that case, it's more like email & I "get it".  Back to lurking :)

To be fair though, if there are ten new posts, you're still going to have to scroll even if newest posts are first.

9 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Fedya and jamesjazzguitar, if I'm understanding you, you're both in favor of the new default, oldest post first order.  That's what I was wanting as an option in the orig post.  What I'm trying to visualize is how the posters who prefer the latest post first order read a thread when there's been more than 1 message added since the last time they visited the thread.  I look at the forum every morning and it always just seemed so awkward to me, particularly with long posts.  Don't you have to scroll down to your last read, then up, down, up, down until you reach the top? Again, not a challange to the earliest first order preference, just curiousity.  Maybe it's simply that you're on the forum a lot and you see posts shortly after entry so there's no "to be read" stack up.  In that case, it's more like email & I "get it".  Back to lurking :)

I always use the dot\star,  which takes one to their last 'unread post' in a thread.   I read that and then scroll down to read the next unread posts (if any).    If someone is replying to a post I made and uses the 'quote' function I don't need to scroll 'up' to read my post.     

But yea,  I do log in about 5 times a day,  so there is less of a 'to be read' stack of post.    Note that it took me a few days to get use to the change but I'm back to being on autopilot as it relates to using this site.    

10 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Fedya and jamesjazzguitar, if I'm understanding you, you're both in favor of the new default, oldest post first order.  That's what I was wanting as an option in the orig post.  What I'm trying to visualize is how the posters who prefer the latest post first order read a thread when there's been more than 1 message added since the last time they visited the thread.  I look at the forum every morning and it always just seemed so awkward to me, particularly with long posts.  Don't you have to scroll down to your last read, then up, down, up, down until you reach the top? Again, not a challange to the earliest first order preference, just curiousity.  Maybe it's simply that you're on the forum a lot and you see posts shortly after entry so there's no "to be read" stack up.  In that case, it's more like email & I "get it".  Back to lurking :)

Also, if you look to the right of the forum topic, it shows the name of the last person to post on that topic. If you click the time it states under the name, it will take you to the most recent page and post.

Ie, I saw jamesjazzguitar's name to the right of this topic heading in the general discussions, so I clicked on the time of his post under his name and it took me to the newest post.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:34 AM, dianedebuda said:

Hey Diane, this reply is for you too.

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/156731-update-sucks/?do=findComment&comment=1599826

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

maybe just me, but 'search' (at least in OT) doesn't seem to work

:blink:

am using FF browser.....maybe someone w/dif. settings can  try??

:unsure:

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

am using FF browser.....maybe someone w/dif. settings can  try??

:unsure:

I'm not sure what you are wanting people to try. I just tried the search function. I typed in "the jfk files", and it came back with 12 results, the top being JakeHolman's recent thread. Is that what you wanted someone to try?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mr6666 said:

maybe just me, but 'search' (at least in OT) doesn't seem to work

:blink:

Search works for me on Firefox version 56 (current version).  Nothing remarkable as far as settings go.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I use desktop and prefer old first, new last order.  My post had an error (as usual :() that did not make anything clear.  Think I see now that fans of new first, old last probably just visit here more often than I do and don't have the up-down-up-down issues that I had when visiting threads that had multiple and/or long posts.  Avoid Facebook because of it's post order (among other reasons) too.:D

• Like 1

I am using Chrome version 62 (current update) and I am able to search for content in the threads.  A search feature that I have noticed that isn't working (or is non-existent) is the ability to search for members.  

• Thanks 1

Kyle Kersten's tribute at the top of the page overlays the drop-down menus for SCHEDULE, and MONTH HIGHLIGHTS.  Month Schedule and Canadian Schedule, Star of the the Month, and Summer of Darkness are not accessible from the Home Page.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Kyle Kersten's tribute at the top of the page overlays the drop-down menus for SCHEDULE, and MONTH HIGHLIGHTS.  Month Schedule and Canadian Schedule, Star of the the Month, and Summer of Darkness are not accessible from the Home Page.

Just click on "Schedule" and then use the drop-downs on that page, which does not have the Kyle tribute.

I've been busy with midterm grades so haven't been on the forums for a while.  So, I'm stunned by this new "update."  I hate having to go to the last possible page to get the most recent posts.  How is that an improvement?  Why do I want to see something someone posted in 2015 first?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rosebette said:

I've been busy with midterm grades so haven't been on the forums for a while.  So, I'm stunned by this new "update."  I hate having to go to the last possible page to get the most recent posts.  How is that an improvement?  Why do I want to see something someone posted in 2015 first?

No one's forcing you to go to the first page. There is an option to go to the last page. You may have to scroll down to find your place (unless you use the "last unread post" option, which is as pretty good idea) but the old way necessitated scrolling down. What's the difference?

Being able to access the first post easily is convenient if you have a thread with not many posts that you might want to track from the beginning. Or for "historians" a way to see how a post started though it now be a long one.

I love this new way. The order of the Universe has been restored. First things first. Haven't you ever heard that one? ;)

I love the update. Best one ever! Thanks, TCM.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Just commented on the old Drunk thread, the update us doing odd things to old threads.

Care to elaborate, or will you just keep posting the same non-informative observation in multiple threads?

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Care to elaborate, or will you just keep posting the same non-informative observation in multiple threads?

What do you mean MULTIPLE threads?:huh:

Snapshot (could be my browser)

hannigan.png