Sign in to follow this  
dianedebuda

re: Forum Update 10/17/2017

217 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What do you mean MULTIPLE threads?:huh:

Multiple means more than one. Didn't you state in your own post that you had just posted the same thing in another thread?

Yes, a lot of the old posts have messed up formatting now, especially those with quotes, pictures and lists.

It seems there's a total amount of attachments you can make from your computer across all the threads.  I just uploaded a number of images and now I'm down to 92 kb I can upload.

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It seems there's a total amount of attachments you can make from your computer across all the threads.  I just uploaded a number of images and now I'm down to 92 kb I can upload.

Correct.  I have pointed this out before, but it seemed to fall upon deaf ears.

There is a 3MB limit to what you can store on your own TCM account.  That is exactly the same as before.  The only difference is now it is easier to fill that little bit up.  So choose wisely. ;)

3 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Correct.  I have pointed this out before, but it seemed to fall upon deaf ears.

There is a 3MB limit to what you can store on your own TCM account.  That is exactly the same as before.  The only difference is now it is easier to fill that little bit up.  So choose wisely. 

The deaf ears may be a result of many people not really knowing what that means.

This refers to pics, etc, that you upload to the site, rather than hotlinking? I'm guessing this is the case, since I've posted many pictures since the update, but it says I've used 0 of my 3MB.

Just now, LawrenceA said:

The deaf ears may be a result of many people not really knowing what that means.

This refers to pics, etc, that you upload to the site, rather than hotlinking? I'm guessing this is the case, since I've posted many pictures since the update, but it says I've used 0 of my 3MB.

Yes!

• Thanks 1

When I first join this site, many updates ago, you could go to your profile settings and determine for yourself if you wanted the posts listed latest first  or latest post last (I'm sure there's a better way to phrase that:P ).

Why not simply include that in this new "update" ?

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

When I first join this site, many updates ago, you could go to your profile settings and determine for yourself if you wanted the posts listed latest first  or latest post last (I'm sure there's a better way to phrase that:P ).

Why not simply include that in this new "update" ?

Unfortunately, I suspect that the version of the board software now in use, no longer supports that capability (even at the admin level).

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/156995-is-this-new-discussion-board-change-just-a-clever-plot-to-get-rid-of-it/?do=findComment&comment=1603753

5 hours ago, limey said:

Unfortunately, I suspect that the version of the board software now in use, no longer supports that capability (even at the admin level).

There is a "Sort by" button on the upper right within each subject category (e.g. "General Discussions"), where you can customize how the material is presented to you at that level. That should mean such functionality should also be available within any given thread.

2 minutes ago, Swithin said:

There is a "Sort by" button on the upper right within each subject category (e.g. "General Discussions"), where you can customize how the material is presented to you at that level. That should mean such functionality should also be available within any given thread.

Could, not automatically should - it's a different bit of code, possibly working on a different data-set. Without knowledge of the code in question, I've no idea just how big a job that implementation would be - but the gist of the forum posts that google turned up, indicated that Invision didn't consider that implementing the ability to change sorting post order in the current software, as something high priority.

11 minutes ago, limey said:

Could, not automatically should - it's a different bit of code, possibly working on a different data-set. Without knowledge of the code in question, I've no idea just how big a job that implementation would be - but the gist of the forum posts that google turned up, indicated that Invision didn't consider that implementing the ability to change sorting post order in the current software, as something high priority.

Sounds like we need Alan Turing to sort this out.

141125_MOV_THEIMITATIONGAME.jpg.CROP.pro

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, limey said:

As a developer myself, it simply sounds to me like a feature they decided to drop.  Likely the newer format would have not have been very friendly for them to work with in that regard, leading them to just scrap the idea altogether. (It is a different beast)  That or else they just lost interest in that concept.

There are so many new perks, such as live javascript/jquery updates (if it works for you, this is the real time popups on the bottom  and the "bloop" sound whenever someone posts replies, etc).  Marvelous!

I think they did a great job at emulating the old forum with fresh new software (though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me). :P 

Good job to all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

As a developer myself, it simply sounds to me like a feature they decided to drop.  Likely the newer format would have not have been very friendly for them to work with in that regard, leading them to just scrap the idea altogether. (It is a different beast)  That or else they just lost interest in that concept.

There are so many new perks, such as live javascript/jquery updates (if it works for you, this is the real time popups on the bottom  and the "bloop" sound whenever someone posts replies, etc).  Marvelous!

I think they did a great job at emulating the old forum with fresh new software (though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me). :P 

Good job to all.

I must say, I do like the "sad" emoji, because it's the perfect response to your post! So that's something good about the new design.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I must say, I do like the "sad" emoji, because it's the perfect response to your post! So that's something good about the new design.

I think the emoji's suck.

"Like" is the only one we "need" to have.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darkblue said:

I think the emoji's suck.

"Like" is the only one we "need" to have.

I still have mine disabled, as I recommended earlier on using Adblock Plus.  So I only see words, vote numbers, and poster names.  That is more than enough.  On the old boards I used to have all the avatars disabled too, but on this newer one doing that also disables some of the user-uploaded content.  I might still hide that too, just apathetic/undecided so far.  Also it would be cool to be able to change the TCM turquoise gradients to something else - maybe light shades of gray or maybe just lighter more subtle shades of...err..Turquoise.  Largely a matter of personal preference of course.

I do like the new software though.

Be aware that you are now limited on the number of PM's you can have in your mailbox. If you have more than 100, new PM's people attempt to send to you will not go through.  I understand why they want to limit the amount of space everyone uses but it would have been nice to know about as the new software was unveiled.  Also, cleaning out your "mailbox" is a bit more cumbersome than getting rid of your normal email but once you get the hang of it, it works.

On embedding Youtube videos:

Copy and paste the link (from the address bar at top of Youtube video browser window), and then HIT ENTER

You're welcome.

I've already made a few posts where the video was the last thing in the post (no apparent reason to hit Enter after that), and wondered why it didn't embed.

• Thanks 1