Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

January 2018 Schedule is Up!

21 posts in this topic

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman is scheduled for the 3rd...paging Nipkow.

Never Too Young to Die - starring John Stamos as a gymnast, with George Lazenby, Vanity and Gene Simmons! This sounds terrible/amazing. It's on TCM Underground on the 7th, followed by the modern classic Gymkata.

January 8th's primetime lineup of true crime films is terrific: In Cold Blood10 Rillington PlaceThe Honeymoon KillersDog Day Afternoon, and The Phenix City Story.

January 10th's daytime Yul Brynner spotlight features the rarely shown Romance of a Horse Thief (1971).

The 12th in primetime features a Survival Movies theme, and late night they are showing the very good 2007 film Into the Wild.

The 14th has a couple of noteworthy titles. Rings On Her Fingers was directed by Rouben Mamoulian and stars Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney. It's a Fox title. I thought it was decent, but I like the stars. Also that night is a Kon Ichikawa film, 1962's Being Two Isn't Easy.

The 27th features Razorback on TCM Underground. It's among the best killer-pig-in-Australia movies on the schedule.

The 28th, on TCM Imports, there's a nearly-3-hour documentary from Portugal about a heroin addict. Titled In Vanda's Room, it sounds like a fun time.

• Like 5

And we get, supposedly, The Tree of Wooden Clogs.  Somewhat annoyingly, a relatively rare showing of Lives of a Bengal Lancer is only six hours after The Exorcist II.

• Like 1

There are some fun W.C. Fields comedies on the 2nd. Don't miss IT'S A GIFT.

Keir Dullea is featured on the 6th as part of the essentials.

The true crime lineup on the 8th does look good. 

June Havoc gets her due on the 9th.

I like the arranged marriages theme on the 23rd.

The superb Claudette Colbert has an evening on the 29th. Thanks TCM!

Plus all month long we get to enjoy this guy's films, and he made so many great ones:

screen-shot-2017-10-19-at-6-40-57-pm.png

• Like 1

Films that caught my eye:

Jan. 1st--"$ (Dollars)" (1971)--Fun Warren Beatty/Goldie Hawn caper film.

Jan. 3rd--"La Jetee" (1962)--After WW III, a man is sent back in time to prevent it in this short film.

Jan. 5th--"The Naked Prey" (1966)--Good film on Survival Movies Night.

Jan. 9th--"Sweet Kitty Bellairs" (1930)--Operetta/bedroom farce TCM last showed  in 2015 (I think).  This runs just over an hour and is worth catching.  "The Formula" (1980)--this was a flop, but the team of Marlon Brando and George C. Scott sounds interesting.

Jan. 15th--"Hallelujah" (1929)--First all black musical sound film, directed by King Vidor. Fine film.

Jan. 20th--TCM Underground goes from excellent to so bad it's funny.  "The Night Visitor" (1971) is an excellent thriller revenge film.  Next up is "Exorcist II: The Heretic" (1977).

Jan. 24th--Ernst Lubitsch day.

Jan. 25--"Comanche Station" (1960)--Good Budd Boetticher film.  "Valley of the Gwangi" (1969)--Cowboys discover a lost world of dinosaurs.

Jan. 26th-The musical version of "Lost Horizon" (1973) is scheduled.  Memorably Terrrrrrrible movie. :P

Jan. 27th--The other half of Underground is "Tentacles" (1977).  It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think a killer octopus goes up against a killer squid at a resort town--both are versus all the people in town.  With Shelley Winters and Henry Fonda.

• Like 2

I'm indifferent to Charles "OH LUCY, I LOVE YOU, RAWR" Boyer so hopefully this will bring some interesting movies...

Survival movies seem to be the TCM spotlight this month.

1/1

I already own this film, so I won't be recording it, but Holiday Inn is scheduled.  I don't believe this film airs on TCM often.

If there's one thing I love, it's caper films, especially 1960s caper films.  Those are scheduled for New Years Day evening.  The Happy Thieves with Rex Harrison and Rita Hayworth  looks interesting.  $ (Dollars) with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn also looks intriguing.

1/2

A WC Fields evening.  I've never seen any of his films.  When the time comes, I'll have to decide which films to record. 

1/4

Fifth Avenue Girl.  This is a fun fluff comedy with Ginger Rogers and Walter Connolly.  I was keeping it on my DVR and lost it when the hard drive crashed.  If I don't procure my own copy before this airing, then I will be able to recoup my lost film.

1/5

Flying Deuces.  I've never seen this Laurel & Hardy film. 

Zenobia.  A Laurel-less Hardy appears in this film.  It won't be the same, but it may be interesting to see Hardy in a different type of performance.

Steel Against the Sky.  I like Alexis Smith and this is one her films that I haven't seen.

Secret CommandHaving Wonderful Crime.  Both of these films feature Carole Landis and I am interested in seeing more of her work.

1/6

Payment on Demand.  I've only seen this Bette Davis movie once, but I really liked it.  I liked how the story was told through a variety of flashback vignettes.  It was an interesting storytelling style 

Never Too Young to Die. I'm curious about the cast: John Stamos, Vanity and Gene Simmons. Plus, it also involves gymnastics!

1/8

This looks like a David Wayne theme.  I don't mind him.  He's innocuous.  I like him in The Tender Trap and How to Marry a Millionaire.  Of course, he's also Blanche Devereaux's father, "Big Daddy" in The Golden Girls

M (1951) I had this remake of the 1931 Peter Lorre classic recorded and lost that.  I'd like to see how this film compares to the original. 

In Cold Blood.  I've been wanting to see this movie for quite some time.  I love True Crime films and shows.  I've exhausted the sixteen seasons of Forensic Files.  

The Honeymoon Killers.  This film also sounds intriguing.

1/9

Four Jacks and a Jill.  This movie really isn't that good, but is worth watching occasionally if only to see a young Desi Arnaz.

1/11

Hold Back the Dawn. I had this Olivia de Havilland/Paulette Goddard movie recorded and lost it.  I'd like to see it.

Back Street.  If a movie is described as "a soaper," I'm in!

1/12

Together Again.  Irene Dunne can be kind of annoying at times (sometimes she's annoying, but in other films she's okay), but I like Charles Coburn and am interested in this film.

1/13 

It's a Date.  I've never seen a Deanna Durbin movie and I'm curious about Kay Francis in a musical.

One For the Book.  I like Eleanor Parker and Eve Arden. 

The Human Comedy.  I'm not a fan of Mickey Rooney, but this film sounds interesting and has a lot of great people in the cast.

Don't Make Waves.  This movie sounds like it will be really bad, but it sounds like it could be entertaining and has an interesting cast: Tony Curtis, Sharon Tate and Claudia Cardinale.  I also like the idea of a swimming pool salesman getting mixed up with body builders and beauty queens.

1/14

Where Danger Lives.  Robert Mitchum and Claude Rains.  I am fans of both and the plot sounds interesting.  Maltin didn't like it, so I probably will.

Knock on Any Door.  A Bogart movie I've never heard of, let alone seen!

Ooh a Gene Tierney double feature.  I am a big fan of hers.

Rings on Her Fingers.  I'm interested in Tierney's pairing with Henry Fonda

1/15

MLK Day is not just Sidney Poitier.  He's only in two of the featured films.

Cabin in the Sky.  I've seen Stormy Weather but I haven't seen 'Cabin.' I like Lena Horne--such a great singer.  

The Duke is Tops.  Lena Horne's film debut.

The Jackie Robinson Story.  I love sports movies and who better to play Jackie Robinson, than Jackie Robinson?

1/16

Father is a Bachelor A William Holden movie I haven't seen and I also like Coleen Gray. 

1/17

Chimes at Midnight An Orson Welles movie I haven't seen

The Horn Blows at Midnight.  I'm interested in this movie starring Jack Benny and Alexis Smith.

1/18

Looks like the daytime is devoted to farm movies

The Stranger's Return.  A Miriam Hopkins film I haven't seen.  I was not a fan of hers in Virginia City (I felt she was miscast and had little chemistry with Errol Flynn), but I've really liked her in other films of hers that I've seen.

The Purchase Price.  A Barbara Stanwyck movie I haven't seen.

Deep Valley.  An Ida Lupino movie I haven't seen.

Cluny Brown.  An Ernest Lubitsch movie I had recorded, hadn't watched and then lost.  I'm glad it's re-airing.

The Earrings of Madame D... I had this movie with Charles Boyer and the late Danielle Darrieux recorded and lost it.  Will be recording again.

The Cobweb.  I heard that this movie was bad, but I wanted to see it anyway.

Confidential Agent.  I've also been wanting to see this film.

1/19

Looks like a day of Joel McCrea precode films.  I'll have to look at these more to see if there are any that sound worth recording.

1/21

Titanic.  It'd be interesting to see a 1950s version of the story of the doomed ship.  Plus, it has Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb!

Absence of Malice.  I do love journalism movies and this film starring Paul Newman and Sally Field sounds interesting.

1/22

Safe in Hell.  Oh man! I've been waiting to see this precode forever!

1/24

A day of Ernst Lubitsch movies.  I'd like to see To Be or Not to Be.  I haven't seen Carole Lombard's last film.

Trouble in Paradise.  I borrowed this film from the library and never got a chance to watch it.   It sounded like it'd be really fun to watch.

1/26

A Matter of Time.  Ingrid Bergman and Liza Minnelli together in a film?

1/28

The Hard Way.  I really liked this Ida Lupino film and had it saved on my DVR.

1/29

Roughly Speaking.  A Rosalind Russell movie I haven't seen

I'm sure I'll find more, but these pop out at me right now.  All in all, this looks like a pretty decent month.

• Like 4

Jan. 27th--The other half of Underground is "Tentacles" (1977).  It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think a killer octopus goes up against a killer squid at a resort town--both are versus all the people in town.  With Shelley Winters and Henry Fonda.

Well we know Shelley Winters will probably be killed by the octopus! 

(I really don't know, I've never seen this film, I'm just speculating)

• Like 2

SECRET COMMAND with Pat O'Brien and Carole Landis is a personal favorite of mine, a "little" movie that really grabbed me.  O'Brien is especially good, and he and Landis have excellent chemistry.  (They were good friends offscreen, and he and the film's director were both pallbearers when she died.)  Recommended.

• Like 4

Looks like a good month.  It's been a while since I've seen the precode gem that tops most all precode gems (except for maybe some of Barbara Stanwyck's precodes):  Safe in Hell.  Truly must-see.

Wow!  Getting current with Into the Wild.  The book and the movie made me cry. Look for a great supporting Oscar nominated performance by Hal Holbrook.

True crime night looks good as does King Vidor's Hallelujah.  Even though I think I've seen just about all of Ernst Lubitsch's films at least once, they're so good and worthy of repeat viewings. 

• Like 2

Not a huge Boyer fan (Where is Joan Blondell when you need her?) but he's certainly a better choice as SOTM than the likes of Anthony Perkins, I say!  If memory serves, TCM usually does well by classic film fans in January with both their selection of SOTMs and their choice of films. The last two January SOTMs were Jane Wyman and Fred MacMurray, both great (and long overdue) SOTM designees.

Not a huge Boyer fan (Where is Joan Blondell when you need her?) but he's certainly a better choice as SOTM than the likes of Anthony Perkins, I say!  If memory serves, TCM usually does well by classic film fans in January with both their selection of SOTMs and their choice of films. The last two January SOTMs were Jane Wyman and Fred MacMurray, both great (and long overdue) SOTM designees.

Robert Redford was also a recent January SOTM honoree. So classic doesn't necessarily mean "older." There is vintage cinema from each decade.

An interesting addition to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday lineup is "Trouble Man," a 1972 crime drama starring Robert Hooks as "Mister. T.," a flashy black private detective. The film was directed by Ivan Dixon (1931-2008), probably best remembered as Sgt. Kinchloe in the 1960s CBS sitcom "Hogan's Heroes."

600px-TroubleMan_StarB_04.jpg

Robert Hooks as Mister T.

But the noteworthy thing about "Trouble Man" is that its soundtrack was written, produced and performed by the great soul singer Marvin Gaye (1939-1984). The title song reached the No. 7 spot on Billboard's pop chart in 1973.

The movie has a couple of connections to "Sounder," another 1972 drama that TCM will show earlier on the holiday. Hooks is the father of Kevin Hooks, who played the eldest child of Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield in the acclaimed family film directed by Martin Ritt.

Winfield (1939-2004), who appeared in "Trouble Man" as Chalky Price, became the third African American to receive a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his performance in "Sounder." Sidney Poitier had been nominated in the category twice -- for "The Defiant Ones" (1958) and "Lilies of the Field" (1963). He won for the latter film. James Earl Jones received a Best Actor nomination for "The Great White Hope" (1970).

• Like 4

Robert Redford was also a recent January SOTM honoree. So classic doesn't necessarily mean "older." There is vintage cinema from each decade.

Yep, he was before MacMurray (and I have no problem with Redford) but I swear, January SOTMs have tended to be among my favorites.  I have a theory that TCM "rewards us" before plunging us into (PLEASE, NOT AGAIN!) the doldrums of Oscar Month! Here's a thought. Perhaps now that RO is gone they can re-think February.

• Like 1

Yep, he was before MacMurray (and I have no problem with Redford) but I swear, January SOTMs have tended to be among my favorites.  I have a theory that TCM "rewards us" before plunging us into (PLEASE, NOT AGAIN!) the doldrums of Oscar Month! Here's a thought. Perhaps now that RO is gone they can re-think February.

Or they're just trying to get the new year off to a great start.

I still wish they would scale back on Oscar-fest and only do it in the evenings, freeing up the daytime part of the schedule for February birthdays.

• Like 3

This year's honorary Oscar winners, including Donald Sutherland and the Belgian-born French filmmaker Agnès Varda, will be recognized on TCM on Wednesday, January 31.

The first film is still up in the air (probably a picture by the independent filmmaker Charles Burnett). But there will be telecasts of "Straight Time" (honoring the veteran cinematographer Owen Roizman), "Klute" (the 1971 thriller starring Sutherland and Jane Fonda) and the Varda films "Cléo from 5 to 7" (1962) and "Le Bonheur" (1965).

The honorees will be presented their Oscars at the Governors Awards dinner gala on November 11.

711x400_agnes_varda_guadalajara_18_cropp

Varda

• Like 1

Is the TCM screening of LILIOM with Charles Boyer a premiere showing ?  And regarding the February schedule, if TCM can bypass Arthur Miller's contempt for Fredric March's performance in DEATH OF A SALESMAN it would be a wonderful surprise to see it scheduled.  

• Like 1

Is the TCM screening of LILIOM with Charles Boyer a premiere showing ?  And regarding the February schedule, if TCM can bypass Arthur Miller's contempt for Fredric March's performance in DEATH OF A SALESMAN it would be a wonderful surprise to see it scheduled.  

My project says so.  At least since 2000.  Before that most of the schedules are accounted for too, except for about a combined two years worth.

• Like 1

The 28th, on TCM Imports, there's a nearly-3-hour documentary from Portugal about a heroin addict. Titled In Vanda's Room, it sounds like a fun time.

Not to mention that it's directed in ultra pretentious artsy fashion. Almost every camera set-up is a scream for attention from film students. I lasted about an hour. Well, it seemed like an hour.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:30 AM, lydecker said:

I like Jane Wyman and Fred MacMurray.  However, I can see why they picked Charles Boyer. I can take or leave him, but he was probably chosen because of a lack of foreign film SOTMs. I knew they'd never choose Louis Jourdan or Danielle Darrieux, but if they wanted foreign SOTM, Boyer was the way to go.

I'm disappointed Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is not SOTM yet. Hopefully soon, but with TCM, you never know.

I'm glad TCM is doing a Yul Brynner daytime spotlight. I'm a Yul fan, and some of those films look interesting to me. But I don't think a daytime spotlight with Yul is complete without his two best films - The King and I and The Magnificent Seven.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:07 AM, ChristineHoard said:

Looks like a good month.  It's been a while since I've seen the precode gem that tops most all precode gems (except for maybe some of Barbara Stanwyck's precodes):  Safe in Hell.  Truly must-see.

Wow!  Getting current with Into the Wild.  The book and the movie made me cry. Look for a great supporting Oscar nominated performance by Hal Holbrook.

True crime night looks good as does King Vidor's Hallelujah.  Even though I think I've seen just about all of Ernst Lubitsch's films at least once, they're so good and worthy of repeat viewings. 

Hallelujah should be a real treat. Those late 20s musicals are great. I wish more of them were shown often.

• Like 1