Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

What really happened in N-I-G-E-R?

11 posts in this topic

"Many Americans were surprised to learn this month that American troops are deployed to **** at all, let alone so many of them — 800 at the time of the attack, according to the Pentagon.

But U.S. troops have been in **** in increasing numbers since at least 2013, with part-time deployments for years before that, working with the Nigerien military as it fights insurgent and terrorist groups, and using the country to spy over other countries in the Sahel and Sahara regions of the vast continent.

“Mostly, we’re providing refueling support, intelligence support, surveillance support. But we also have troops on the ground,” Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters Thursday.

“Their job is to help the people in the region learn how to defend themselves."

It is essentially a two-part mission: Hundreds of Air Force personnel operate drones and other spy flights out of a growing American base in the country, and a smaller number of special operations troops train and advise Nigerien troops as they fight Islamist extremists.......

....questioned why Johnson was left on the battlefield after the other three fallen soldiers were evacuated, and Pentagon officials have faced questions over whether he might have survived the initial attack.

There’s no evidence of that,

Pentagon officials have insisted, stressing that American, French and Nigerien troops searched for Johnson continuously from the moment the battle ended until Nigerien troops located his body........

Pentagon spokespeople have faced repeated questions over the role of contracted civilian helicopters in the evacuation and recovery mission after the firefight — and some critics on social media have questioned whether contractors are appropriate or adequate for that role........

...the Pentagon clarified Thursday. Armed French military helicopters that got there first evacuated the wounded. The contract crew recovered dead bodies from the battlefield afterward —

An intelligence failure?

The American special operations troops reportedly categorized their mission as a “low-risk” one ahead of time, a characterization that Mattis and others have echoed. The disparity between that assessment and what took place — an ambush involving as many as 50 attackers and two separate engagements — has prompted critics to ask why American intelligence failed to anticipate the attack.

“They were told by intelligence there was no threat,” Wilson said this week.

Whether U.S. or French intelligence missed any signs that insurgents were massing in the area will likely be another area of focus for the Pentagon probe....

...that the area where the mission took place was “considered safe” and called the incident “a failure in human intelligence,” although it wasn’t clear whether he meant an American or a Nigerien failure.

“The question that needs to be answered is why the intelligence assessments were off,” offered Waltz, the former Green Beret. “Was there a leak of the route, that can come from the host nation, or from some type of intercepts, or who knows?”

“There are legitimate questions to be asked about what happened,”...

“If they didn’t have the intel, why not? Was there a problem coordinating with the Nigerien partner military?

Why did it take 48 hours to recover the fourth body?

Those are reasonable questions to be asking.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/20/what-really-happened-****-troops-killed-244008

• Like 2

It’s Not Just **** — U.S. Military Activity Is a “Recruiting Tool” for Terror Groups Across West Africa

"..... “The rapid, largely unrecognized increase in U.S. troops in **** is part of the large expansion of the U.S. military footprint in Africa,” says William Hartung, director of the Arms and Security Project at the Center for International Policy.

“This expansion is long overdue for congressional scrutiny and public discussion.” U.S. efforts, primarily focused on training allies and proxies, are flawed, often ineffective, and can have destabilizing effects on countries that military operations are meant to strengthen, .............

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/26/its-not-just-****-u-s-military-activity-is-a-recruiting-tool-for-terror-groups-across-west-africa/

WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING IN   N   I   G   E   R . . . . (and elsewhere)

Is (among other things) a byproduct of climate change!

HOW is that possible? (Some of you may be asking?)
Consider these facts, there are already areas in sub Saharan Africa that have reached and surpassed the 2 degree Celsius temperature "tipping stone" increase that scientists have long been warning us about and that the  Paris Climate Accord agreement was belatedly attempting to address.
In the midst of other man-made turmoil, these areas are experiencing unmitigated drought, crop failure, and famine, while at the same time they are ironically also experiencing an exponential population explosion.
Unable to feed themselves, they migrate to other places, stressing those fragile economies as well.

N  i  g  e  r  's eastern neighbor is Chad. Both of these land-locked countries (former French "colonies") share southern borders with Nigeria, and northern borders with Libya.
Chad's eastern neighbor is Sudan. Sudan's northern border is Egypt, and to it's east lies the Red Sea.
All of these impoverished (many overwhelmingly drought stricken) countries are "home" to an assortment of various militant rebel groups that unceasingly prey upon their own.  

Since the assassination of Muammar Gaddafi (October 2011) Libya has increasingly become the "uncapped" portal to the Mediterranean Sea, and into southern Europe (a seeming haven for those seeking to emigrate there).
Nigeria, to the south (a former British "colony"), is a somewhat more stable environment for those emigrants that hope to work and eventually bring what's left of their fractured families to settle. It's also a coastal nation, allowing additional avenues for those seeking further sanctuary both within Africa and abroad.  
But all this immigration adds additional domestic stress to whichever place they happen to be.

For example, Nigeria (N  i  g  e  r  's southern neighbor) is the most populated country in Africa and currently the seventh most populated nation on earth.
At current trends, by 2050 it will surpass Indonesia (the 4th most populated country) with an estimated 397 million people in a country with a land mass of 351,649 square miles (greater than the entire U.S. current 330 million crammed into an area approximately the size of Texas and Wyoming).

From Sudan to Chad to  N  i  g  e  r,  able-bodied persons seek to escape the hell that has become their homeland. Along the way these refugee migrants are victimized, robbed, enslaved, murdered, and recruited.
Forced to "trust" others in their efforts to seek safe passage to elsewhere make them even more vulnerable.

Along comes an ISIS recruiter... In addition to promises of food, shelter and help for their families, they offer the equivalent of $50 (a small fortune to these impoverished refugees) as incentive to join their cause.  

But "Our" simple (minded) ineffective "solution" to the intertwined complexities of these problems (as usual) is to place a "band-aid" upon a festering wound, with NO consideration or treatment applied to the multiple source/s of the infection.  

We look through our myopic lenses and (in the name of "stability")... send in more troops to train and equip future insurgents while enriching the coffers of the arms industry.

While at the same time...
We deny the existence and consequences of climate change, pull out of the Paris Climate Accord agreement, dismantle our own EPA, and rather than endorse the growth of environmentally neutral energy sources, we sponsor the further exploitation of those proven to be of detriment.

Rather than foster and encourage family planning and birth control at home and abroad, we deny it, and thereby do nothing to curb the pressures of global overpopulation.

With "our" ever more corporate controlled monoculture, in a world ever more dependent upon 3 basic food crops for sustenance (rice, corn and wheat), as a species, we are setting ourselves up for a mass population culling.
We are at a precipice and any disruption of our very tenuous food (fresh water and clean air) chain, be it from man, nature, or space, will easily push us over the edge.  

In our ever more interconnected and interdependent world,  
We need (humanity and the World requires) leadership that is able and willing to both see the "big picture" and capable of "connecting the dots" as necessary.

We can no longer afford the luxury of self-aggrandizement at the expense of everything necessary for our very survival (as well as the continued habitability of this overtaxed planet which we all share).

NOTE: Another reason why we are there...  Chad, N  i  g  e  r  and Nigeria have oil.

Nigeria is currently the 12th largest producer of petroleum in the world and the 8th largest exporter, and has the 10th largest proven reserves.
But these potentially "oil rich" nations are heavily indebted to the World Bank for their petroleum development. "Instability" means that the rich investors do not gain their dividends.

But don't take my word (or anyone else's) regarding any of this.
Check your own multiple scholarly sources, and then decide what is truth!

The next logical step is to determine what each of us can do to lesson the problem/s, individually, collectively as families, as communities, and as a nation, among many nations!

• Like 2

That the auto-censor can't distinguish the difference between the NATION and the word with TWO "g's" is kinda ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The official reason for the US army being there was given as they were helping the French military with anti-terrorist actions. There's alot of oil and other resources in that particular region too but I'm sure that has little to do with it....

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That the auto-censor can't distinguish the difference between the NATION and the word with TWO "g's" is kinda ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

I agree,  but I have to admit I was surprised when I saw the name of this NATION in bold on CNN.

Sometimes they get so PC I wondered if they would somehow find a way to discuss this issue and that NATION without having to show the name.      My guess is that Don Lemon was still offended.   

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree,  but I have to admit I was surprised when I saw the name of this NATION in bold on CNN.

Sometimes they get so PC I wondered if they would somehow find a way to discuss this issue and that NATION without having to show the name.      My guess is that Don Lemon was still offended.   

They'll all carry on being offended as usual, so long as their paychecks from CNN don't bounce.

• Haha 1

Senators diverge on **** ambush after classified briefing

Politics Oct 26, 2017 6:25 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — Republican and Democratic senators emerged from a classified briefing about the deadly ambush in the African nation of **** with different opinions about whether the attack that killed four U.S. soldiers could have been averted...........

...McCain, R-Ariz., said he wanted to know why it took so long to recover the body of American serviceman, Sgt. La David Johnson, who was missing for two days before his body was found by **** troops and turned over to the U.S. He said Pentagon officials covered the matter but he indicated they didn’t know everything yet.

“I had a lot of questions. All of us had questions,” he said.

McCain responded testily when asked if the early October mission that led to the deaths of the American troops in **** was a failure.

“Do you think there’s a failure if four Americans are killed?” he said.

Asked if the result was bad luck or bad strategy, McCain answered: “Both.”..........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/senators-diverge-on-****-ambush-after-classified-briefing

Yeah, some are LOOKING for excuses to be offended.  I remember reading almost 20 years ago that some school or university official was vilified by some for using the word "niggling" in a lecture.  And the word has NOTHING to do with any "racial" reference.  :rolleyes:

I'm kind of surprised to see it passed muster HERE. ;)

Sepiatone

Apparently we are in Nigar because the African area is the new location for ISIS and Al Qaeda as they lose land in Middle East.

• Thanks 1