Sign in to follow this  
shutoo

update sucks

126 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, laffite said:

You have reason to fear. If you click on the wrong one, it jumps out of the monitor and rips your face off.

Which brings to mind two great quotes/scenes from two horror movies:

demons5.jpg?w=300&h=225

"Would you go, if you looked like THIS?!!!!!" -- Leni Tana as Mona (She Demons)

hypno5.jpg?w=525

"If you like my face so much you can have it!" -- Allison Hayes as Justine, ripping her face off (The Hypnotic Eye)

• Like 2

the games will be impossible...instead of click the topic, answer...you have to scroll to the last post

Why do you have to scroll to the last post?  There's a dot/star to the left of each post that means "go to first unread reply".

Change is hard.

7 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Why do you have to scroll to the last post?  There's a dot/star to the left of each post that means "go to first unread reply".

Change is hard.

That doesn't make sense. The first unread reply might have been years ago and have nothing to do with the current discussion.  If I'm playing one of the games, I want to see the last reply, quickly; I don't want to see something I may not have read ages (or even days or just hours) ago!

59efcefe08e0c_Screenshotat2017-10-24193755.thumb.png.68d1ad79da3f38c298614ea6ee2a4a3c.png

Over on the right side, the main board mentions who made the most recent post in each topic.  If you click on the bit below the poster's name for how long ago the post was made, it will take you to the most recent comment.

Edit: The link will look something like this:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/156731-update-sucks/?do=getLastComment

Also, to get a permalink for any individual comment, while you're in the thread, click on the indicator for how long ago the post was made in the individual comment.  That should be at the top of the post right next to the poster's name.  The URL for this comment of mine, for example, is:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/156731-update-sucks/?do=findComment&comment=1598210

That's a very awkward method of navigation -- totally out of best practices of other website chat boards. They need an option so that we can permanently sort comments by newest.  (The Guardian newspaper and other sites are models of good practice in that regard.)

Most sites I know have oldest comments first.  When they actually number the comments, this means it doesn't break referring to a comment: comment #43 in a post will always be #43, something that was incredibly irritating when the old forum software had newest comments first.

Seriously, this is the only board I know where everybody actually seems to like the idea of having newest comments first.  Having constantly to scroll up and down when a comment takes up more than one screen, now that's an awkward method of navigation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Most sites I know have oldest comments first.  When they actually number the comments, this means it doesn't break referring to a comment: comment #43 in a post will always be #43, something that was incredibly irritating when the old forum software had newest comments first.

Seriously, this is the only board I know where everybody actually seems to like the idea of having newest comments first.  Having constantly to scroll up and down when a comment takes up more than one screen, now that's an awkward method of navigation.

Well as you know, most frequent users disagree.    Why?  Because now we have to remember to click the 'last page' icon and once we get to that 'last page',  scroll down to the last unread post (which is often THE last post).   Before we were taken right to the last post.       

Anyhow,  I really wish they had an option-flag so each user can select how they wish it to work. 

Some of us are complaining because we don't feel fully comfortable using the new improved site, and we don't know how all the features work yet.

It would have been VERY NICE if they had posted a sticky with instructions-- a guide on how to do certain things so we could get up to speed faster. It might have helped cut down on negative threads and negative posts.

Two builds ago they did have the option, although the default was newest comment first.  I changed mine to oldest first, yet a bunch of people acted as though nobody had made that change, referring to the comment "below" theirs or what not.

And there's still the dot/star (depending on whether you've posted in the thread) that takes you to the first unread comment.

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

Two builds ago they did have the option, although the default was newest comment first.  I changed mine to oldest first, yet a bunch of people acted as though nobody had made that change, referring to the comment "below" theirs or what not.

And there's still the dot/star (depending on whether you've posted in the thread) that takes you to the first unread comment.

Thanks for reminding me that the 'dot/star' is still there.   I just used it and it works wells.   So that is what I will use.     (with the old format I didn't use that since I taken to the 'end' anyhow,  but now,  I'll use it all the time).

Thanks again!   

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Welcome back laffite.   Well I assume you were MIA since I don't recall seeing any post,  especially in the sports thread.    Of course maybe the reason was you were avoiding me now that the Dodgers are in the World Series (as well as the fact most sportscasters are saying how great a job Roberts is doing as Manager).     

But the Astros are strong so I'm not counting my chickens.     

Thanks.

That's right. Since the Dodgers are doing so well, I'll probably never speak (write) to you again.

I'm for the Astros but just barely. I don't like the American League much.

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As others have mentioned, it's a work in progress. There's no telling how long it will be before the bugs are worked out.

If past experience is any indicator of future performance, My guess would be that it will finally begin to become an "adequately"  functional "work-in-progress" about the time that someone from "On High" (or maybe someone just "high") makes another fatalistic decision that it's time to implement another uneccessary complete "revision."

Right now it looks like there's no mobile version for phones, and I need to put on reading glasses and expand the page, moving the page all around to read the bigger text.  Otherwise the words are so small even gnats can't read them... (of course, if gnats could read).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Now you can reference a comment by its URL link.

On the old board that should have been possible, but the reverse-order seemed to either be an incomplete feature, or else it was an incomplete hackjob.   They reversed the posts, but didn't think to reverse the numbering.

A WORK-AROUND FOR THOSE USING FIREFOX THAT ARE EXPERIENCING "DISAPPEARING FORUMS" BELOW THE OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT BOARD
(Don't know yet if this is even a browser specific or TCM wide issue???)

The only way I've found to reaccess the long list of assorted Forums/Boards, etc. BELOW the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board (i.e. Kyle in Hollywood, down to the Technical Issues boards) is to go to the Upper Bar Double Click on COMMUNITY (because the drop down will not stay in place long enough to actually click on ANYTHING, i.e. MESSAGE BOARDS.)
When you see the TCM Classic Film Union is now closed page, again go to the upper bar and Hover the curser over COMMUNITY (Now the drop down will remain in place long enough to actually click on something.)
Clicking on the MESSAGE FORUM brings back the "complete" list of various message boards (INCLUDING those BELOW the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board.)
However after exiting from any of the Forums/Boards/Threads/Posts, etc. If you again desire access to anything below the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board, you will need to repeat the above process...

I know this is a ridiculous and seemingly unnecessary work-around for what once functioned so smoothly here, but since "the powers that be" have chosen to "dick" with what was a non-issue, it may be the only "work around" to allow access to those currently "disappearing" boards, until some "dick" decides it's an issue that needs to be "fixed."

Any expedient ideas regarding this please post here and also in the PINNED Technical Issues Forum Thread addressing the recent Board "UpGrade."

• Like 1

Near the top of the screen where it says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Near the top of the screen where it says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

Bravo, Lawrence, much quicker than my tedious "work-around." Thanks, :)

No telling when "they" will address the non-functioning drop-down issue, assuming that they are even aware of it among the myriad of problems that "they" have created with this "untested" garbage upgrade!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

:huh:

You mean there was somebody who didn't get that? :o

16 hours ago, Fedya said:

Change is hard.

I don't see the dot or star, just the <Sort by> in the selection.  Like last post shown first and descend accordingly.  

16 hours ago, Fedya said:

Change is hard.

I'm not seeing a dot/star either.  You are right about change.

I got it now.  I was looking for it within this thread and not on the general discussion page listing all the various threads.  Thanks.

Edited by Bogie56

I was seeing that dot. Now I dont see it anymore. SIGH. Guess I've been seeing things.........

53 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I was seeing that dot. Now I dont see it anymore. SIGH. Guess I've been seeing things.........

No you haven't been seeing things. It seems that when I click on the dot or star, after I'veread the post or reply to the post, the dot/star then is no longer usable. it probably appears again after awhile, I guess.

1. What is the difference between a dot and a star?

2. Anybody know how to clear notifications? We used to be able to delete any/all of them, but now it seems they just pile up.