TopBilled

Upgrade issues-- please fix

19 posts in this topic

We appreciate TCM trying to do things better, but today's upgrades are causing these new issues:

1. We can't select different fonts.

2. We can't save custom searches.

3. We can't have the newest post appear first when we open a thread. This is a huge issue since some threads have hundreds of pages and clicking last page does not take us to the most recent post, meaning we have to waste time scrolling up and down.

4. A lot of spacing/formatting errors are appearing in posts made before the upgrade.

5. The emoticons are ginormous.

Ooooohhh... I hate to complain, but... ooof!

I do not like the reversing of all of the posts from first to last. The special threads I made for short film titles are a mess now, since I had done them in a specific order for the many thousands reading them, sometimes in alphabetic order. I set them up initially to adapt to the system here, which listed the most recent post first.

If there is ANY chance, can somebody reverse the order of these posts so that they are in their proper order?

Or should I just alter each and every one post individually myself? It was sssssoooooo much work.

For example, the first post in this thread...

... should read "Going the British route this time with three intertwined companies that have provided some mighty fine shortie material over a cluster of decades." The LAST post should read "Other J. Arthur Rank Releases..."

Update 11/1: I am fixing it on my own... it will be a labor of love

• Like 1

Nice to see that "they" have reinstated these "Problem Boards"
However, the "problem" remains that nobody in charge of anything relevant around here apparently bothers to read and act upon anything seriously posted here (as demonstrated again by this current snafu). :wacko:

Another Problem that needs to be Made Better....

A WORK-AROUND FOR THOSE USING FIREFOX THAT ARE EXPERIENCING "DISAPPEARING FORUMS" BELOW THE OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT BOARD
(Don't know yet if this is even a browser specific or TCM wide issue???)

The only way I've found to reaccess the long list of assorted Forums/Boards, etc. BELOW the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board (i.e. Kyle in Hollywood, down to the Technical Issues boads) is to go to the Upper Bar Double Click on Community (because the drop down will not stay in place long enough to actually click on ANYTHING, i.e. MESSAGE BOARDS.)
When you see the TCM Classic Film Union is now closed page, again go to the upper bar and Hover the curser over COMMUNITY (Now the drop down will remain in place long enough to actually click on something.)
Clicking on the MESSAGE FORUM brings back the "complete" list of various message boards (INCLUDING those Below the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board.)
However after exiting from any of the Forums/Boards/Threads/Posts, etc. If you again desire access to anything below the OFF TOPIC CHIT-CHAT board, you will need to repeat the above process...

I know this is a ridiculous and seemingly unnecessary work-around for what once functioned so smoothly here, but since "the powers that be" have chosen to "dick" with what was a non-issue, it may be the only "work around" to allow access to those currently "disappearing" boards, until some "dick" decides it's an issue that needs to be "fixed."

Near the top of the screen where it says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Near the top of the screen where it says in large lettering "TCM MESSAGE BOARDS classic film forum", underneath that to the left there are 3 tabs: "Forums", "Members" and "Contact Us". If you click on the one that says "Forums" all of the boards sections will be visible.

Bravo, Lawrence, much quicker than my tedious "work-around." Thanks, :)

No telling when "they" will address the non-functioning drop-down issue, assuming that they are even aware of it among the myriad of problems that "they" have created with this "untested" garbage upgrade!

• Like 1

I am getting this message: 

This Community is Not Available

Please contact the community owner for assistance.

I haven't done anything bad to be blocked from the message boards. It could be my terrible sense of humor but people here wouldn't know about my bad puns. And Chrome does not work at all with TCM in general. Maybe because I have a Mac? I am getting an erroneous logon screen with grayed out fields in the Chrome browser. Maybe the problem here is that the site itself is very complex and there are many users who are accessing the site at the same time. I should try at 4 am to see if it is better.

I'm using Chrome, but on a Windows 10 laptop, and I'm not having any problems with the site in regards to log on or any visual issues.

If you were suspended or banned, you wouldn't be able to post, so you're not in any kind of trouble. And the traffic on this site is very low, and has been for months, outside of when the Classes are in session. Unfortunately, this latest upgrade has eliminated the section that told you how many people were online at any given time.

Thanks Lawrence A. It has been so frustrating that I figured if I was a "squeaky wheel" someone like you would respond. I appreciate that. There has to be some issue with a Mac and Chrome and maybe it could be the updated operating system from Apple. Never happened before the update.

There have been several complaints from people using various browsers and OS's, or trying to access the site using tablets or phones vs laptops and desktops, and I think they are trying to get all the bugs worked out. People using Chrome seem to be having the least amount of issues, so I don't know what to tell you about your particular problems. I'll leave any technical guesswork or diagnoses to those that have better knowledge.

29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I still wish we could select different fonts. I wonder why they eliminated that feature. 

Yeah, that seems an odd feature to leave out. I find that I miss the lists of who (if anyone) is online. I haven't seen anything that indicates the old auto-save of posts in progress is still there...that came in handy occasionally. I don't see a cancel option for deleting a post in progress, either.

I also wish there was an option to switch from oldest to newest first, as has been voiced by the majority of users. And I'm perhaps the only person who had an easier time posting pictures before the upgrade. Now there are added steps.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, that seems an odd feature to leave out. I find that I miss the lists of who (if anyone) is online. I haven't seen anything that indicates the old auto-save of posts in progress is still there...that came in handy occasionally. I don't see a cancel option for deleting a post in progress, either.

I also wish there was an option to switch from oldest to newest first, as has been voiced by the majority of users. And I'm perhaps the only person who had an easier time posting pictures before the upgrade. Now there are added steps.

I've noticed that if I drag a photo in from my desktop, on to the post I am composing, it inserts it wherever my cursor is. And that's fine. But sometimes it also recognizes it as an attachment and puts another copy of the same picture at the bottom of my post. I have no way of telling whether it's done this until I click 'Submit Reply.' If it has duplicated the photo, then I have to edit the post and delete the attachment. So there are a few bugs.

21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I still wish we could select different fonts. I wonder why they eliminated that feature. 

I second that wish. And yet we can still align centered or flush right if we want.

35 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I second that wish. And yet we can still align centered or flush right if we want.

Yes, alignment is good. But so are different fonts. 

On 10/28/2017 at 10:54 AM, TopBilled said:

Yes, alignment is good. But so are different fonts. 

I was being a bit facetious. I would prefer different fonts. I would take font choice over centered or flush right text any day!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I was being a bit facetious. I would prefer different fonts. I would take font choice over centered or flush right text any day!

Yes, I knew you were being sarcastic-- but I saw an opportunity to push for font choice again and I had to take advantage of it. LOL

• Like 1