Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

actor Robert Guillaume dead at 89

9 posts in this topic

I didn't really notice him in a lot of things besides 'benson' but I found he exuded a very urbane cultured demeanor as an actor.

kinda like a black clifton webb.

Image result for Robert Guillaume

20 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

22 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I didn't really notice him in a lot of things besides 'benson' but I found he exuded a very urbane cultured demeanor as an actor.

kinda like a black clifton webb.

Image result for Robert Guillaume

Benson's Robert Guillaume  was not a black man's Clifton Webb or any other comparison that he would have to have in order to give him status because he's not a white actor.

I remember very well how people used to say that Toshiro Mifune was the Japanese John Wayne. That's just so ridiculous I don't even have to address it-- Except to say that it was an insult to the Great Toshiro Mifune.

Robert was a lovely comedic actor,  but also I enjoyed him in some deadly serious dramatic roles on television, like the 2-hour TV color " Perry Mason Returns" episode that he starred in.

Years ago I had a wonderful recording of a Gershwin TV musical special. It featured great singers like Fred Astaire and Leslie Uggams, and much to my surprise Benson was in there singing like a pro. I don't know how many people realized what a great singer he was.

He was the only black person to have a lead on Broadway in Phantom of the Opera. So I'm not going to say that he was the black Michael Crawford - -

NO,  I'm just going to say that Robert Guillaume was a wonderfully multi-talented American Artist,  whom I will miss very much.

• Like 1

I was fortunate to be able to see him in Phantom Of The Opera in 1990. I knew he was a singer, but he really did have a powerful voice. He was a very good Phantom. I think he was at his finest in comedy. What a smile, too!

RIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I was fortunate to be able to see him in Phantom Of The Opera in 1990. I knew he was a singer, but he really did have a powerful voice. He was a very good Phantom. I think he was at his finest in comedy. What a smile, too!

RIP

I can remember from a while back that he also starred in Guys and Dolls on Broadway.

• Like 1

It's a shame that Soap and Benson are not rerun much anymore. Otherwise a whole new generation of fans might come to appreciate his comedy talents. Wonderful actor.

I liked BENSON and saw a few thing Guillaume did since then.  Very talented man and will be missed.

Sepiatone

Although aside from the sitcoms, most short-memoried obits are likely to remember him only for his voice:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Although aside from the sitcoms, most short-memoried obits are likely to remember him only for his voice:

Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing EricJ. He was great as Rafiki. "It's in the past. The past can't hurt. And the way I see it, you can either run from it, or . . . learn from it." R.I.P. Robert

Robert Guillaume lived a full life. It's sad to see him go. A great actor with a terrific voice. Whether you saw him on the stage or on television or in the movie theater, he always did his job well. I'll remember him most as Benson, Rafiki and from a small but not thankless role as the doctor in the movie Big Fish, one of my favorite post-2000 movies. He was an actor that could do it all.

• Like 2