Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Amazon key, Alexa, etc. ....

30 posts in this topic

Just now, mr6666 said:

BBC BusinessVerified account @BBCBusiness 1h1 hour ago

On #BBCBizLive: Amazon announces a new service to unlock your front door - would you give a courier access to avoid a missed delivery?

DNC2W9RVQAAX0Nm.jpg

Amazon Key is Silicon Valley at its most out-of-touch

"......It may come as a surprise to those who are willing to live in Google’s parking lot and drink Soylent meal replacement instead of eating real food, but some of us care about more than just convenience. ....

....Yes, I do value convenient deliveries, but I value my security more — better to strategize around postal schedules than be assaulted by a person hiding in one’s home! And while I dislike rained-upon packages, I prioritize privacy enough that I’m loath to install a corporate-controlled surveillance apparatus inside my house.

New technologies are often packaged as amenities we shouldn’t have to live without, and any trade-offs are made to seem meager in the face of potential comfort.

But there’s more to life than convenience — maybe someone should let Silicon Valley know."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/10/25/amazon-key-is-silicon-valley-at-its-most-out-of-touch/?utm_term=.f2707fc80e56&tid=sm_tw

<_<

I agree, as I have alluded to in several other threads, it's gone too far.  Way too far.  And it makes some people feel warm and fuzzy: "oh wow...just for me, they think of everything".

So what's to say the databases and live users for these delivery services don't get crossed with the Pokemon Go users, due to ahem...  some silly hacker.  Remember all the cell phone users who were wandering around playing the Pokemon Go game together and ended up trespassing on private property, in numbers?  "Oh boy, this door...it is unlocked!".

• Like 1

Saw a news clip on this "service."  What about the person who is in your home and doesn't know Amazon has permission to enter at will?  Do they get scared, call police or just get a gun and shoot the intruder?

Of course the main feature is that whatever Amazon creates, multitudes can hack into it.  Not to mention disgruntled or criminal Amazon employees who take advantage of it.

Of course, you could enroll with the system, have a delivery and then report to Amazon that your grandmother's $75,000 diamond ring is missing and it was there when you left home.  Or the Amazon delivery person attacked you while you were in the bath.

Far fetched?  Yeah, but this is the new America.

• Like 1

Need-to-knows before buying Google Home or Amazon Echo

Make sure you consider the uses, pitfalls, and privacy issues before buying a voice-controlled assistant this year

"I f you've seen the commercials, you know that Google Home and Amazon Echo – the sleek, voice-activated home assistants that do everything from turn off your lights to read your kids a story – are being touted as the smartest things since sliced bread. With their kid-targeted games, activities, books, and even homework help, what parent wouldn't want one of these devices to replace screens and make life run more smoothly?

But as many early adopters have come to realize, it takes work to make them useful. Otherwise, you're the proud owner of a very expensive kitchen timer. And as with any artificial intelligence (AI) technology that "learns" your habits, the gains may not be as great as what you give up to use it. Find out what these devices can do, how well they work, and what the privacy issues are before you introduce one into your house. ....

Should I worry about privacy? Absolutely. The privacy and security issues related to these devices are complex, evolving, and potentially very serious (and cannot all be covered in this article). If you have an Amazon or Google account, you've already accepted some of the privacy risks of online life. With Alexa and Home, the same companies that track what you buy, what you watch, where you go online, and even your contacts are right there in your home. And they're listening. .....

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/24/need-to-knows-before-buying-google-home-or-amazon-echo_partner/

Stealing packages has gotten so bad in the area where I live that no matter how the package is delivered--

I go to the  delivery office for pick-up.

It's more of a hassle; but if the package is stolen, nobody  takes responsibility for it.

Criminals actually follow the delivery trucks and wait till they leave and then come up on your porch and take the packages.

Drones won't be able to do anything to help that.

Amazon coming into your home is trying to solve this problem. But I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I think you're actually opening yourself up to more problems with criminality.

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Stealing packages has gotten so bad in the area where I live that no matter how the package is delivered--

I go to the  delivery office for pick-up.

It's more of a hassle; but if the package is stolen, nobody  takes responsibility for it.

Criminals actually follow the delivery trucks and wait till they leave and then come up on your porch and take the packages.

Drones won't be able to do anything to help that.

Amazon coming into your home is trying to solve this problem. But I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I think you're actually opening yourself up to more problems with criminality.

I do not patronize Amazon, but if I did I sure would not give them the "key" to my front door.  I have serious concerns about their ability and willingness to hire truly secure personnel for this service.  After all, their primary business model is doing things cheaper than any of their competitors.

I have discovered that I can ship things via UPS at my local hardware store.  Seems to me a better model would be for Amazon, et. al. to coordinate with local retail stores as pick-up locations. 

As for having packages delivered to work site, after 9-11, my employer prohibited any personal shipments to the work site.  They would be refused at the door.

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

I do not patronize Amazon, but if I did I sure would not give them the "key" to my front door.  I have serious concerns about their ability and willingness to hire truly secure personnel for this service.  After all, their primary business model is doing things cheaper than any of their competitors.

I have discovered that I can ship things via UPS at my local hardware store.  Seems to me a better model would be for Amazon, et. al. to coordinate with local retail stores as pick-up locations. 

As for having packages delivered to work site, after 9-11, my employer prohibited any personal shipments to the work site.  They would be refused at the door.

Or perhaps grab some of that empty retail space left vacant all over the country and open package depots where customers can pick up their shipments. That could potentially revitalize retail areas as patrons would stop by other nearby locations while they were out, not to mention the additional jobs these depots would bring. It could help rehabilitate Amazon's image in communities that resent their decimation of retail business.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Or perhaps grab some of that empty retail space left vacate all over the country and open package depots where customers can pick up their shipments. That could potentially revitalize retail areas as patrons would stop by other nearby locations while they were out, not to mention the additional jobs these depots would bring. It could help rehabilitate Amazon's image in communities that resent their decimation of retail business.

An even better idea.

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Or perhaps grab some of that empty retail space left vacate all over the country and open package depots where customers can pick up their shipments. That could potentially revitalize retail areas as patrons would stop by other nearby locations while they were out, not to mention the additional jobs these depots would bring. It could help rehabilitate Amazon's image in communities that resent their decimation of retail business.

I pick up my packages at FedEx, which is fairly close to me.

However, the last time I was there, the manager told me that I would be able to pick up packages at an even closer strip mall because FedEx was now coordinating a drop -off service with Walgreens. What do you think of that?

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I pick up my packages at FedEx, which is fairly close to me.

However, the last time I was there, the manager told me that I would be able to pick up packages at an even closer strip mall because FedEx was now coordinating a drop -off service with Walgreens. What do you think of that?

Sounds good to me.  As I commented, my local (3 miles away) hardware store is a drop off location for UPS.  Don't know about pick-up.  Actually most of my mail order items come via US Postal Service.  Some of them even begin their trip via UPS or FedEx, but then get delivered to my local PO for delivery to my home.

that's the idea I tried pushing in the 'Alexa' thread...

we're trading privacy & security for convenience & speed

:unsure::blink::ph34r:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert MaguireVerified account @RobertMaguire_ 3h3 hours ago

Turns out Facebook is a great place not just for sketchy political ads, but also links to known scams and malware https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-political-ads-malware-scams-misleading 

DQTafiqWsAIu1gI.jpg

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 5h5 hours ago

It’s possible that intelligence agencies have already been accessing expansive recordings from millions of voice assistants like Echo, Siri, and Google Home.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/09/amazon-

-_-

Look around at all the "smart" devices coming onto the market.The smart meters and phones,tv's,(don't know if it's possible to buy a dumb tv anymore) refrigerators,wash/dry machines and other technologies being sold to us as must-have "cool" tech that we just can't live without,and if you don't have the latest greatest,then you're looked on as being passe,a dinosaur...and definitely NOT COOL.People buy up those Alexa Siri Echo and other spy units like hotcakes trying to keep up with their friends.And all that cool sexy tech that Almost everybody thought was so cool will spy on us and our controllers will know everything we say.GPS units in cars are a great way to follow ppl around as are cell phones.Then there's all the camera's everywhere on the streets in every city ostensibly to "only" be used to catch "the bad guy",whoever that is.

IMHO what is happening is that a complete total surveillance system is being built around us one piece at a time,slowly,so ppl don't notice what's happening and don't ask questions,and if you are one of those weirdos,one of those malcontents that asks questions,or implies that all the surveillance might be used against us you're laughed at ridiculed,called luddite,paranoid or whacko conspiracy theorist.When complete they'll know more about you than you do.They will know absolutely Everything about every person on this planet no matter how small silly insignificant or private it is.EVERYTHING.

It's all about control.Total 100% control over everything we will ever do think or say.They will decide who lives and who doesn't.

And all this is happening right under everybody's noses and with great public approval and thundering applause.:o:angry:

• Like 1

"They" pretty much already have that covered with the cell phones. They can track, look and listen with those as it is. 

I don't have a cell phone, or any mobile device, other than a Kindle Fire which has been inert for over a year. My smart TV only has access to WiFi. Yes, they can track what I watch, but my TV doesn't have a mic or a built-in camera. I also have a laptop without a mic, and with the camera taped over. I pity whatever poor slob would be tasked with tracking my activities, because they would be bored as hell.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

Look around at all the "smart" devices coming onto the market.The smart meters and phones,tv's,(don't know if it's possible to buy a dumb tv anymore) refrigerators,wash/dry machines and other technologies being sold to us as must-have "cool" tech that we just can't live without,and if you don't have the latest greatest,then you're looked on as being passe,a dinosaur...and definitely NOT COOL.People buy up those Alexa Siri Echo and other spy units like hotcakes trying to keep up with their friends.And all that cool sexy tech that Almost everybody thought was so cool will spy on us and our controllers will know everything we say.GPS units in cars are a great way to follow ppl around as are cell phones.Then there's all the camera's everywhere on the streets in every city ostensibly to "only" be used to catch "the bad guy",whoever that is.

IMHO what is happening is that a complete total surveillance system is being built around us one piece at a time,slowly,so ppl don't notice what's happening and don't ask questions,and if you are one of those weirdos,one of those malcontents that asks questions,or implies that all the surveillance might be used against us you're laughed at ridiculed,called luddite,paranoid or whacko conspiracy theorist.When complete they'll know more about you than you do.They will know absolutely Everything about every person on this planet no matter how small silly insignificant or private it is.EVERYTHING.

It's all about control.Total 100% control over everything we will ever do think or say.They will decide who lives and who doesn't.

And all this is happening right under everybody's noses and with great public approval and thundering applause.:o:angry:

Yeah, the main method of mass surveillance is already through PRISM. Companies and the government can work together on new ways to invade privacy and hardly anyone will care.

I always read about how a child or an adult just went out for a simple errand or shopping trip and never returned. Law enforcement is greatly aided by surveillance cameras in stores, on streets and even on interstate highways.

They are also  helped by the use of cell phones and GPS devices in  trying to locate a missing person, when time is of the essence.

There's always two or more sides to any issue.

But I would have to agree that the Amazon " breakin delivery service" is potentially dangerous and has not been thoroughly researched for safety for both the customer and the delivery person.

There is now a new Amazon facility near me (this is just outside Cleveland). 

That space was at one time the grounds for the world's largest indoor shopping mall, which you can see here
http://www.labelscar.com/ohio/randall-park-mall

and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0w7DpslSg

and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_UxUrPfSQ

That was demolished over the last few years (though one could argue it rotted away from the inside over the last 20 years or so).

Now this new Amazon facility is still under construction, but approaching completion.  I don't usually go through that part of town, but had to pickup some furniture from a warehouse nearby.  I wasn't expecting to see anything, so when I passed by this my jaw literally dropped.  Apparently they won the contract back around July 2017 and started construction in/around August 2017.  The town it is located in and nearby construction companies were in a big hurry to get something going.

Size-wise this is going to be 855,000 square feet, whereas the old two story mall (with some three story anchor tenents) was said to be around 2,000,000 square feet.  If this is only one floor (though I can't tell), then it might be about the same land size.  It is placed closer to two of the surrounding streets - whereas the mall was in the middle of four surrounding streets and the surrounding parking lot had a large "outer belt" all the way around.

Just a strange looking thing.

I guess if you are one of the (publicly acknowledged) wealthiest people, you can make these things pop up like daisies.

http://www.aerialagents.com/blog/2018/1/27/amazons-new-fulfillment-center-in-north-randall-is-enormous

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Amazon-Fulfillment-Center_AERIAL-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Experts Say Keep Amazon’s Alexa Away From Your Kids

"........ a coalition of children’s privacy and psychology advocates are warning parents away from Amazon’s latest, cutest device, saying it could normalize surveillance and harm children’s mental development. .....

Commercially-produced voice-recognition technologies, such as Amazon Echo, are primarily designed to promote products and brands. Amazon is acting irresponsibly by urging parents to unleash an AI-driven Alexa product into their children’s lives, without first ensuring that it will not harm their cognitive and emotional development. Echo Dot Kids is designed to encourage children to give up their personal information so it can drive even more revenues for the E-Commerce colossus. ......

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/11/experts-say-keep-amazons-alexa-away-from-your-kids/

• Like 1

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/05/19/seat-m19.html

Seattle City Council and Kshama Sawant capitulate to Amazon, pass watered-down head tax

Following a weeks-long campaign of economic blackmail waged by Amazon and other large corporations, the Seattle City Council unanimously passed a watered-down version of the head tax on big business last Monday. The tax will fund housing construction and services for Seattle’s large and growing homeless population. The bill will cost the company just $10 million annually, which represents less than the amount Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos makes in an hour.

Under the legislation passed Monday and signed into law on Wednesday, for-profit businesses with annual gross revenue of at least $20 million in Seattle—representing the top 3 percent of businesses—will be taxed at a rate of $0.14 per employee for every hour worked in the city, or roughly $275 annually for a full-time employee beginning in 2019. The measure will produce an estimated $47 million in revenue that will be used to build low-income housing and provide hygiene and other vital services to a fraction of Seattle’s roughly 12,000 homeless residents. The measure also contains a “sunset clause” that effectively ends the tax after five years unless renewed by a vote of the city council.

This represents just half the revenue that would have resulted from the original version of the bill proposed by Democratic Party councilmembers Teresa Mosqueda, Mike O’Brien, Lorena Gonzalez, and Lisa Herbold on April 20. This version of the bill would have placed a tax of $0.26 per employee hour worked—or $500 annually per employee—on large businesses. This employee hours tax (EHT) would then have been phased out in favor of a 0.7 percent payroll tax in 2021.

Almost immediately after its introduction, a coordinated campaign of threats and propaganda by large corporations, led by Amazon, was mounted against the first head tax proposal. In numerous editorials, opinion pieces, and open letters to the city council, the measure was denounced as a “tax on jobs” and many of Seattle’s largest employers threatened to leave the city or wind down operations if it were passed, even though the city actually had a head tax until it was repealed in 2009.

This campaign reached a crescendo on May 2, when Amazon announced in a statement that it had halted construction on its Block 18 office building in Seattle pending the city council’s decision on the head tax, potentially costing the city 7,000 jobs. At the same time, the company began publicizing increased staffing levels in several other cities, including Boston, Chicago, and Vancouver, British Columbia.