John L.

Movie with Vespa but not "Roman Holiday"

7 posts in this topic

Got into discussion about Vespas in movies and I was trying to remember a movie recently on TCM with a Vespa which was ridden by young dark haired girl and driven by a young man. She gets involved with

a guy who I think was in a big older convertible driven by an older French or English man who is friends with the earlier guy. The girl ends up on the Vespa with the young man some more.

Think movie was made in mid 40s, right after war and is in Paris I think. NOT "Roman Holiday". 

Could it be "A Certain Smile" (1958) with Christine Carere and Bradford Dillman?  It's set in Paris and Rossano Brazzi plays Dillman's uncle, who is attracted to the young woman.

Here are the two young people on a Vespa.

Image result for bradford dillman on a vespa motor scooter

Unfortunately, no. Vespa + three actors is right idea but story not the same and I know they are not same actors, especially males. Still feel movie is from 1946-47 era.

Found it! For some reason I remembered older actor was English and someone I knew, so took a chance and looked up Alec Guiness and it was him.

"To Paris with Love" (1955..I was wrong about year but car threw me off. Old Bently or some such). Co-stars were Vernon Grey and Odile Versois.

Widow tries to find a girlfriend for son and son tries to find someone for father but neither knows what's going on with other.

Now that you have this figured out, I'll just throw this in for a laugh or two.  This is from Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster (1965), which has a little bit of everything.  Including a nice little Vespa ride with Chad & Jeremy sound-alike music.  I have put the start mark a few minutes ahead for perspective.

https://youtu.be/kgxhEq8w9xw?t=2240

On 10/28/2017 at 5:45 AM, John L. said:

Found it! For some reason I remembered older actor was English and someone I knew, so took a chance and looked up Alec Guiness and it was him.

"To Paris with Love" (1955..I was wrong about year but car threw me off. Old Bently or some such). Co-stars were Vernon Grey and Odile Versois.

Widow tries to find a girlfriend for son and son tries to find someone for father but neither knows what's going on with other.

Lucky you! I watched this movie once long time ago. But I still remember how I feel about it. Slight humorous and charming with easy to follow story :)