Sign in to follow this  
Victoria Strittmater

2017 The Essentials

6 posts in this topic

Did anyone besides me notice that David Letterman stated that The Days of Wine and Roses was in color, and Alec Baldwin agreed with him? Even though this is one of my favorite movies and I've seen it numerous times, perhaps I'm not remembering correctly?

I would bet my life on this. Can anyone either confirm it or maybe tell me I'm thinking of something else. 

Hello, Victoria, and welcome!  Yes, I heard Letterman's comment regarding The Days of Wine and Roses being filmed in color.  Wonder how something like that gets by on the Essentials?  

Hey, Darryl. Whew! Thanks for verifying what I was starting to think was an episode of temporary aphasia; in other words, am I crazy? Well, apparently not about this, anyway. I'm kind of surprised no one else responded to what I thought was a fairly egregious slip for TCM, especially Alec Baldwin; maybe he was humoring Dave to be polite. Not sure I agree with Alec that The Lost Weekend is the best portrayal of an alcoholic. I thought Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick were devastating, particularly Ms. Remick. And it absolutely would not have been as effective, nor as affecting, in color as it was in black and white. 

Darryl: I rudely neglected to thank you for your welcome to the TCM Forums. It was lovely, like your picture. If everyone is as gracious as you are, I'm really going to enjoy this. How long until one isn't a newbie? If it has anything to do with how long I've been a TCM watcher and fan, I would have graduated years ago. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I think that's a great image of Tura, too!  Don't know how long newbie status lasts!  I've enjoyed the message boards for years,

but don't join in the fun often enough.  Lots of interesting ideas here.  

I agree with your thoughts regarding The Days of Wine and Roses.  Lee Remick won me over for life there!  Can't

even imagine the film in color.

1 minute ago, darrylfxanax said:

Don't know how long newbie status lasts! 

I don't know if it's changed since the latest upgrade, but it used to be you were a "newbie" until you'd made 50 posts, after which you became a "member". At that point you can go to your profile page, use the edit function, and change it to whatever you want it to say.