Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

House Of Dark Shadows (1970)

10 posts in this topic

TCM just showed this again yesterday. It's a movie version of the popular daytime serial about a vampire.

I was one of the young kids who watched the show after school in the late sixties, early seventies. The movie is a good compact version of the story, with much more blood than they could show in the TV show. Jonathan Frid is excellent as Barnabas Collins the vampire who wants to be cured of his vampirism, since he feels he was found his lost love in Maggie Evans (Katherine Leigh Scott). Classic film star Joan Bennett is Elizabeth Stoddard, the family matriarch. Grayson Hall (an Oscar nominee for "The Night Of The Iguana") plays a scientist who tries to help Barnabas.A lesser known actress Nancy Barrett, is a standout as a sweet young woman who is turned into a hissing Hammer film style vampiress who gets staked in a shocking scene.

Any fans of this one?

• Like 2

Yes, I'm a fan. TCM also aired the sequel NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS. 

I believe HOUSE was made while the daytime soap was still in production (so actors were doing both at the same time); and NIGHT was made just as the soap had ended.

I'd love to see Joan Bennett as Star of the Month on TCM. They could re-air HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, since it's an important part of her screen career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I'm a fan. TCM also aired the sequel NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS. 

I believe HOUSE was made while the daytime soap was still in production (so actors were doing both at the same time); and NIGHT was made just as the soap had ended.

I'd love to see Joan Bennett as Star of the Month on TCM. They could re-air HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, since it's an important part of her screen career.

I watched a little bit of Night Of Dark Shadows, didn't finish it. It was great to see Lara Parker, who plays the evil and gorgeous witch Angelique.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I watched a little bit of Night Of Dark Shadows, didn't finish it. It was great to see Lara Parker, who plays the evil and gorgeous witch Angelique.

Jonathan Frid refused to do the sequel, fearing typecasting (but it was too late for that and he most certainly was typecast after the TV show ended). So they built the newer film's storyline around David Selby's character. 

4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Parker is a real stunner, especially those eyes. I wouldn't sell my soul for her, but I would consider renting it out. The film itself is ok, the ending not too much of a surprise. There seemed to be some quick edits in this film; the viewer is left trying to figure out what just happened while another scene suddenly starts. Still, it was a decent little chiller, without much connection to the original series. House of Dark Shadows was certainly more faithful to the series, although it had more gore. I have to give kudos to Frid for his acting in the film. In the series, he was actually pretty bad (well, most of the performers were), but I put up with it because I enjoyed the shows. Here, he actually looks invigorated ... must have been all that fresh blood.

55 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Parker is a real stunner, especially those eyes. I wouldn't sell my soul for her, but I would consider renting it out. The film itself is ok, the ending not too much of a surprise. There seemed to be some quick edits in this film; the viewer is left trying to figure out what just happened while another scene suddenly starts. Still, it was a decent little chiller, without much connection to the original series. House of Dark Shadows was certainly more faithful to the series, although it had more gore. I have to give kudos to Frid for his acting in the film. In the series, he was actually pretty bad (well, most of the performers were), but I put up with it because I enjoyed the shows. Here, he actually looks invigorated ... must have been all that fresh blood.

If you ever get the DVD set for the soap at the end of each disc are interviews with various actors and personnel. They did the show daily live, they had to learn their lines that same day they received them. Not much time for rehearsals, maybe sitting around a table line reading at best. They were pretty much doing it live, they had to just bull through flubs and wrong lines. Some times they had to adlib.  They did have cue cards that's why occasionally they are looking off at something other than who they are talking too. They had a fire once also, you'd think with all the candles they would have had more. 

4 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

If you ever get the DVD set for the soap at the end of each disc are interviews with various actors and personnel. They did the show daily live, they had to learn their lines that same day they received them. Not much time for rehearsals, maybe sitting around a table line reading at best. They were pretty much doing it live, they had to just bull through flubs and wrong lines. Some times they had to adlib.  They did have cue cards that's why occasionally they are looking off at something other than who they are talking too. They had a fire once also, you'd think with all the candles they would have had more. 

Yes, I've seen many of the blooper reels, and I remember seeing many of the blunders "live." I also remember seeing an interview with Frid once where he talked about how they just kept going no matter what happened.

The series had some interesting ideas, but once they started with plots involving a werewolf, creating Adam, and traveling through time like it was nothing, the novelty wore off.

The Adam and Eve storyline sucked, it's only redeeming part was when Adam who's been pining away for a mate finally gets this redhead big boobed knockout Eve, and she hates him, if I remember right she was getting turned on by another cast member, it was before Quentin it may have been Maggie's boyfriend. Adam should have went MGTOW, lol.

The HP Lovecraft based Leviathan storyline didn't work, too ambitious for the meager sets and it had a bad Barnabas which I think was part of the problem. The Jekyll & Hyde was tedious too.

They were just going through the Universal Horror films at one point, I'm surprised they didn't get to The Mummy and The Invisible Man. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

The Adam and Eve storyline sucked, it's only redeeming part was when Adam who's been pining away for a mate finally gets this redhead big boobed knockout Eve, and she hates him, if I remember right she was getting turned on by another cast member, it was before Quentin it may have been Maggie's boyfriend. Adam should have went MGTOW, lol.

Marie Wallace was Adam's mate, and I think she was lusting after Roger Davis's character, whom she remembered from a past life, or something like that.