marcar

Why play DUBBED movies?

33 posts in this topic

If TCM is going to get me all excited playing six Sophia Loren movies, why would they play any dubbed versions? It drives me crazy and I hope they don't do it again. At least Loren's voice seems to be her own because she speaks English, but the Marcello Mastroianni voices were terrible. 

The FAKE sounding dubbing just ruins the movie!

I like dubbed movies. Having to read while I'm trying to watch a movie ****** me off.

I don't understand a word of French, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, you name it, anyway, so they all sound "fake" to me.

The absolute worst is a spaghetti western that hasn't been dubbed into English. What a joke.

• Like 1

I prefer the dubbed version of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. The rhythm of the kids chanting "She's got the belly, she's got the belly..." in the "Adelina of Naples" segment has a quality that doesn't exist in the Italian.

Also, the dubbed version of Black Pit of Dr. M is one of the masterpieces of dubbed cinema -- and it's lost! The lines "Yes it's me. I came back in Elmer's body" just don't work in the original Spanish.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Which movies were dubbed? I watched Marriage - Italian Style and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, and they both had subtitles. Is it possible you need to change a setting on your TV?

• Haha 1

I shudder to think of such classic dubbed films as Beast of Yucca Flats and The Creeping Terror with subtitles.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Which movies were dubbed? I watched Marriage - Italian Style and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, and they both had subtitles.

It was 'The Priest's Wife'. To my delight, it was in English.

To my disappointment, 'A Special Day' was sub-titled.

i don't mind dubbing.  Subtitles don't bother me much either, except when it's clear they aren't really keeping up with the dialog.  

But if it's a movie made overseas that's been adapted from a book I've read, please dub it.  I've already read the book, now I gotta read the movie too?  :rolleyes:

Plus subtitled movies opens up a whole new area of advertisement.  Based on the above.....

"You've seen the book.  Now, read the MOVIE!"  :P

Sepiatone

• Sad 1

I don't mind dubbed Italian movies, as they didn't record live audio in any language while filming. Even the Italian language version for their own market had all the sound done in post-production. That's how most Italian films were made until sometime in the 70's. Otherwise, I prefer the original language. I don't have trouble reading. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I shudder to think of such classic dubbed films as Beast of Yucca Flats and The Creeping Terror with subtitles.

LOL  The Beast Of Yucca Flats they did it on the cheap, and knew it.  The actors turned away from the camera for the speaking parts.  Easier to do ADR later on.  If fact they can forget about that and just say whatever the hell they want and it will work out.  It doesn't seem quite right though.

1 hour ago, darkblue said:

I like dubbed movies. Having to read while I'm trying to watch a movie ****** me off.

I don't understand a word of French, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, you name it, anyway, so they all sound "fake" to me.

The absolute worst is a spaghetti western that hasn't been dubbed into English. What a joke.

Excluding the spaghetti westerns, this presents a major problem.  Exotic beauties or subtitles.  Subtitles or exotic beauties.

While I agree "reading" a movie can be tiresome (and it's why I don't watch many silent movies), if I was absolutely forced to choose one or the other, I'm in the subtitles camp, because even if I don't understand the language, I get the emotional timbre of the voices from the actual performers in the film. Ninety nine per cent of all dubbed movies I've ever watched seem as if the voice actors don't even understand what emotions they're supposed to be expressing in the scenes, and there's just this weird, alien effect to their voices that totally takes me out of the movie. When they dubbed The Leopard into English, I can't comprehend why they didn't have Burt Lancaster do his own voice. Whoever supplied his voice is absolutely horrible.

I vaguely recall expressing these exact same sentiments in a thread some years back, the last time this debate rolled around, and was genuinely surprised the vast majority of my fellow posters seemed to prefer dubbing, so I'm less surprised this time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Excluding the spaghetti westerns, this presents a major problem.  Exotic beauties or subtitles.  Subtitles or exotic beauties.

Problem? 

Non-English languages sound so foreign to my ear that I rarely relate them to recognizable emotion anyway. That makes it a super easy decision for me. Sub-titles suck - unless it's a 4-star classic or near that, I'm not gonna choose to read a movie when there's tens of thousands of movies I haven't seen and don't have to read.

• Like 1

I'll take a sub over a dub, but given the scarcity of foreign movies to view on USA broadcast TV, I'll also take what I can get!

I thought the dubbing on The Priest's Wife was quite acceptable - seemed to sync pretty well & TBH, I forgot that I was watching a dub most of the time. I believe LawrenceA's comment about post audio practices on Italian movies of the time to be correct - plus there are so many truly atrocious dub jobs out there, that a semi-reasonable dub seems pretty normal.

Watching subbed movies requires somewhat more commitment from the viewer, so it can also be something of a relief to get an unsubbed flick during a run of subbed films.

Either way, the Mini vs Fiat duel in TPW was worth the cost of admission (although I doubt the Mini would have survived that final charge as well as it did, if attempted away from the realm of special effects...).

• Thanks 1

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - The majority of all Italian films back in the 50s-60s were shot MOS (without sound) they are all dubbed. Even those for local consumption. It was cheaper for them to do it that way and record all sound back in the studio.

Think about all the Italian Westerns, they had international casts. On set each actor said his lines in his native tongue so for say Leone's For A Few Dollars More, Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef spoke English, GianMaria Volonte, Luigi Pistilli, Mario Brega, etc., etc., spoke Italian, Klaus Kinski, Joseph Egger, and Mara Krupp, spoke German, Aldo Sambrell spoke Spanish, Panos Papadopulos Greek.  They had a tape recorder to keep track of what was spoken in each language. 

After the film was in the can they had a blacklisted American actor Mickey Knox do his magic for the American release. His work began after the movie was done shooting. For the film The Good The Bad And The Ugly, "I had to find out the right dialogue not only in terms of moving the story along, but also to fit the lips," he told writer Cenk Kiral in a 1998 interview. "It's not an easy thing to do. As a matter of fact, it took me six weeks to write, what they say, 'the lip-synch script.' Normally I would have done it in seven to 10 days for a normal movie. But, that wasn't a normal movie."

Each language print had its own lip-synch script, 

So each actor would come back, Eastwood and Van Cleef would come back to NYC to loop their lines, so their lip syncs usually matched. Other English voice actors would dub the rest of the English Language release. 

37 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't have trouble reading. 

My vision is getting weaker, and my eyes get tired. If I have to read sub-titles, I often have to keep backing the movie up to finish reading. Old age, ay.

A definite lowering of enjoyment in the cinematographic visual is regrettably an aspect as well.

When I was young, it wasn't quite as bad - but back in the 60's they wouldn't dream of not dubbing a foreign-language movie if they wanted it to play in America. Sure wish they'd stuck to that.

I think the first time I ever had to read a movie in a cinema was in 1970. 'I Am Curious (Yellow)' was the movie.

23 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Problem? 

Non-English languages sound so foreign to my ear that I rarely relate them to recognizable emotion anyway. That makes it a super easy decision for me. Sub-titles suck - unless it's a 4-star classic or near that, I'm not gonna choose to read a movie when there's tens of thousands of movies I haven't seen and don't have to read.

No, we agree.  Unless they redo it with somebody that sounds like the cleaning lady or the janitor.  The worst I think was when Mel Blanc no longer did Barnie Rubble.

9 minutes ago, darkblue said:

My vision is getting weaker, and my eyes get tired. If I have to read sub-titles, I often have to keep backing the movie up to finish reading. Old age, ay.

A definite lowering of enjoyment in the cinematographic visual is regrettably an aspect as well.

When I was young, it wasn't quite as bad - but back in the 60's they wouldn't dream of not dubbing a foreign-language movie if they wanted it to play in America. Sure wish they'd stuck to that.

I think the first time I ever had to read a movie in a cinema was in 1970. 'I Am Curious (Yellow)' was the movie.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I don't know how many more years I'll have before my eyes won't let me keep up with them. I already have trouble if they switch the subtitles too quickly, and I also prefer yellow subtitles, as the white ones are harder for me to make out. I also already have a partially detached retina in the right eye, with some permanent scarring that causes some visual interference, as well as the promise of a full detachment sometime in the future. And with a family history of cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration, things can only get better!

Living where I do, I've never had a fully subtitled film at my theater. All of my viewing (and reading) has been on home video. Presently having a large TV helps matters.

2 hours ago, darkblue said:

I think it can be a matter of exposure - when I were a nipper, I probably felt the same way about anything in a foreign tongue - it was a distraction from trying to follow the plot.

However, I've traveled a bit since then & watched lots of non-English speaking movies - whilst it takes more concentration to properly watch something subbed, the spoken audio often seems to adopt an almost musical role in the story-telling, adding mood & texture - even if I haven't a clue what's actually been said. I get into more trouble if I actually do start to translate words I can pick out from the dialogue, as it's usually spoken too quickly & with too much sophistication for me to have much hope of following in that manner.

20 minutes ago, darkblue said:

You do have a valid point there! Even on a bigger screen your eyes have to scan a greater area to keep up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darkblue said:

Some foreign movies are neither dubbed or subtitled. (or will ever be!)

English CC verboten.

MV5BNjI4ODQ0NTk1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTg4

(wish someone can translate that kids weird name:blink::wacko:)

there's something to be said for both sides of this subject, but if i have to choose, i'd go for dubbing.

keeping up with subs if they're on rapid fire means i'm going to miss something.

most subs are in white, and against a light background are unreadable. something else missed.

unless the subs make the movie compelling (these are far between), i lose interest quickly. i've given up on a lot of movies i'd thought i would watch (even with subs), but eventually gave up on because i lost interest due to one or more of the issues with subs.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

there's something to be said for both sides of this subject, but if i have to choose, i'd go for dubbing.

keeping up with subs if they're on rapid fire means i'm going to miss something.

most subs are in white, and against a light background are unreadable. something else missed.

unless the subs make the movie compelling (these are far between), i lose interest quickly. i've given up on a lot of movies i'd thought i would watch (even with subs), but eventually gave up on because i lost interest due to one or more of the issues with subs.

What about foreign SILENT films i.e. TCM's recent airing of "Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages" (1922) which had both the Swedish and English titles?

haxan_titles.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't mind dubbed Italian movies, as they didn't record live audio in any language while filming. Even the Italian language version for their own market had all the sound done in post-production. That's how most Italian films were made until sometime in the 70's. Otherwise, I prefer the original language. I don't have trouble reading. 

I've got an idea! I'll use numbers, the way I do for Fellini! Instead of "I don't understand you Alexander..." I'll say, 22, 83, 16, 72, 5, 3, 18, 9, 14, 7, 9. 17, 10, 10, 4, 18, 69...

20 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What about foreign SILENT films i.e. TCM's recent airing of "Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages" (1922) which had both the Swedish and English titles?

haxan_titles.png

Well, with dual language intertitles, you only have to read half of what's there, unless you wish to take advantage of the bonus free Swedish language course on offer...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, marcar said:

If TCM is going to get me all excited playing six Sophia Loren movies, why would they play any dubbed versions? It drives me crazy and I hope they don't do it again. At least Loren's voice seems to be her own because she speaks English, but the Marcello Mastroianni voices were terrible. 

The FAKE sounding dubbing just ruins the movie!

Yeah, I prefer the original to the dubbed to. TCM has played A Quiet Place in the Country a few times but always dubbed unfortunately.

• Like 1