Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Are people using the confused reaction button as a dislike?

27 posts in this topic

On one of the other boards I use they had to remove the reaction buttons except for the like button because people misused the other buttons. For example there was one gal who talked about her child dying one day and people who didn't like her clicked on the haha funny button. They would even go back through her old posts to deliberately select the wrong reaction buttons. If someone has thousands of posts, then can lead to massive forum bullying.

When we had all these recent upgrades here at TCM City and these new buttons were given to us to use, I wondered if some folks might use them in questionable ways. I always consider this a message board community that is a little bit above the pettiness of other boards.

So I thought I would start a thread about this (and I don't care if it's moved to Off Topics) because I think it's worth discussing whether TCM is giving us a way to dislike each others' posts in a way that can be potentially hurtful and disrupting.

I look forward to various points of view on this...

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, laffite said:

A can of worms ...

It could be. Or it could prevent later problems if it is addressed openly now before people realise the haha button and the confused button can be used negatively. We shouldn't shy away from controversy if we can solve problems by addressing an issue. My opinion.

24 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

On one of the other boards I use they had to remove the reaction buttons except for the like button because people misused the other buttons. For example there was one gal who talked about her child dying one day and people who didn't like her clicked on the haha funny button. They would even go back through her old posts to deliberately select the wrong reaction buttons. If someone has thousands of posts, then can lead to massive forum bullying.

When we had all these recent upgrades here at TCM City and these new buttons were given to us to use, I wondered if some folks might use them in questionable ways. I always consider this a message board community that is a little bit above the pettiness of other boards.

So I thought I would start a thread about this (and I don't care if it's moved to Off Topics) because I think it's worth discussing whether TCM is giving us a way to dislike each others' posts in a way that can be potentially hurtful and disrupting.

I used the 'confused' emo for a post that was 'out-there' and this was a way to say I didn't like the post.   

I don't consider doing this to be mean and I would only do it to an 'old-timer' that has a history of creating such post \ threads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I used the 'confused' emo for a post that was 'out-there' and this was a way to say I didn't like the post.   

I don't consider doing this to be mean and I would only do it to an 'old-timer' that has a history of creating such post \ threads.

As I said in the original post, these extra reaction buttons caused a lot of problems on the other site I use (Digital Spy's TV website). After six months they had to just eliminate everything except the like button to ensure people were behaving positively. 

I am glad you admitted you used the confused button as way of saying you didn't like something. But isn't it better if you don't like something to just not react to it at all? Once that other person sees your pattern, what is to stop them from going through your thousands of posts and clicking confused or haha on what you've written to get back at you. Even an 'old timer' poster might develop a grudge. LOL

I don't think everyone will be as honest as you have been James and I do foresee a lot of problems cropping up because of these new extra reaction buttons. 

I've seen the 'HaHa' button used to 'knock' posts on other boards. At least the selection offered here, can all be taken as leaning towards positive, rather than what the more explicit dislike/thumbs down options could do.

Anywhere you get folks interacting has the potential for a critical response. That response can have a greater or lesser effect depending on the individuals concerned, but it pays to err on the side of a gentle response over an aggressive one. If I really find someones posts irksome, I usually just choose to skip over those.

4 minutes ago, limey said:

I've seen the 'HaHa' button used to 'knock' posts on other boards. At least the selection offered here, can all be taken as leaning towards positive, rather than what the more explicit dislike/thumbs down options could do.

Anywhere you get folks interacting has the potential for a critical response. That response can have a greater or lesser effect depending on the individuals concerned, but it pays to err on the side of a gentle response over an aggressive one. If I really find someones posts irksome, I usually just choose to skip over those.

I agree with the BIB. Also if you (the general you) don't like something, then formulate a thoughtfully worded response. That's part of what a message board is for-- to engage in discussion. Clicking on a reaction button to indicate dislike or even contempt, how will that lead to a productive and fruitful conversation?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I agree with the BIB. Also if you (the general you) don't like something, then formulate a thoughtfully worded response. That's part of what a message board is for-- to engage in discussion. Clicking on a reaction button to indicate dislike or even contempt, how will that lead to a productive and fruitful conversation?

Agreed - I think that's why the Invision folks (the board software devs) omitted anything as explicit as a dislike button.

I tend to view the reaction buttons merely as shorthand way to respond to a post without actually having to type a "that amused me" or whatever response. If there is an issue with the reaction buttons, it is that they encourage an immediate snap judgement of a post, without the need to think for a moment first.

If I really feel the need to respond critically to something, I'll take the time to explain my thoughts in writing. If I think that such a response is likely to genuinely cause someone upset, I'll temper it, or skip it altogether. Life's too short to go looking for fights.

7 minutes ago, limey said:

Agreed - I think that's why the Invision folks (the board software devs) omitted anything as explicit as a dislike button.

I tend to view the reaction buttons merely as shorthand way to respond to a post without actually having to type a "that amused me" or whatever response. If there is an issue with the reaction buttons, it is that they encourage an immediate snap judgement of a post, without the need to think for a moment first.

If I really feel the need to respond critically to something, I'll take the time to explain my thoughts in writing. If I think that such a response is likely to genuinely cause someone upset, I'll temper it, or skip it altogether. Life's too short to go looking for fights.

Thanks for this reply. It makes so much sense. But I would say the software developers did not anticipate how some reaction buttons could be used for other purposes to register a dislike. They think the haha button is for something that is genuinely humorous not funny in a demeaning way. And that the confused button is probably meant to prompt a poster for more clarification not to suggest that someone has a confused point of view or an opinion that is crazy or 'out there.'

At least here we can see who clicked the confused button or the haha button, so we will be able to detect patterns of abuse or misuse with certain posters that much faster. On Digital Spy, the clicks were anonymous which made it harder to prove who was harassing or bullying and therefore harder to report an abusive member.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Didn't you use the "confused" emoji on a couple of other people's posts this morning? Were you genuinely confused, or were you voicing a "Dislike"? How are others to know your intention when using that emoji after reading this thread? And if you meant it as "confused", as in confused by their post, how can you be certain what the motives of others are when they use the emoji?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for this reply. It makes so much sense. But I would say the software developers did not anticipate how some reaction buttons could be used for other purposes to register a dislike. They think the haha button is for something that is genuinely humorous not funny in a demeaning way. And that the confused button is probably meant to ask a poster for more clarification not to suggest that someone has a confused point of view or a mind that is 'out there.'

I'd suspect that they probably did make that kind of anticipation, but you have to draw the line somewhere - otherwise everything becomes overly moderated & notions of free speech get buried under the need to protect people from themselves.

OK.  Personally, I'd use the "like" feature for a post I like, the "ha-ha" one for a post I thought was funny, the "confused" one for a post that I needed cleared up, Or the "sad" one if I thought the post was sad. and the "thanks" post for a post that more clearly stated something I have strong feelings about and the poster reinforced that thought.  If I DON'T like a post, I just move on and don't "click" on anything.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, limey said:

I'd suspect that they probably did make that kind of anticipation, but you have to draw the line somewhere - otherwise everything becomes overly moderated & notions of free speech get buried under the need to protect people from themselves.

I've wondered how speech is actually defined on a website owned by a company that registers users under a specific set of rules and policies. Obviously some legal rights are waived when a person agrees to various terms of use. But that seems like another separate discussion.

And from my experience there are some sites that are heavily moderated and others that are not. DS (Digital Spy) seems to have the right balance-- the moderation is ever-present but not intrusive which protects us all. I was glad when they did away with the extra reaction buttons. And they posted a very detailed explanation of how they came to that decision which everyone could respect.

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Didn't you use the "confused" emoji on a couple of other people's posts this morning? Were you genuinely confused, or were you voicing a "Dislike"? How are others to know your intention when using that emoji after reading this thread? And if you meant it as "confused", as in confused by their post, how can you be certain what the motives of others are when they use the emoji?

That's part of the point I'm making. It's really a riddle, isn't it-- and to borrow James' phrase if it is someone you don't know well like an 'old timer' poster, then how can you be sure the reaction is what you may perceive it to be. If TCM's team removes them, like Digital Spy has done, it solves the problem. We all know what a like means. That seems incontrovertible. But as your above post suggests in support of what I'm saying, we can't be sure the meanings of the other reactions because they might be intended one way by the software developers and misused by members which leads to a murky grey area. 

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I've wondered how speech is actually defined on a website owned by a company that registers users under a specific set of rules and policies. Obviously some legal rights are waived when a person agrees to various terms of use. But that seems like another separate discussion.

That is, indeed, a whole other discussion - starting from whatever agreements your ISP has from the moment you connect to the internet...

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

And from my experience there are some sites that are heavily moderated and others that are not. DS (Digital Spy) seems to have the right balance-- the moderation is ever-present but not intrusive which protects us all. I was glad when they did away with the extra reaction buttons. And they posted a very detailed explanation of how they came to that decision which everyone could respect.

I prefer an environment where the moderation is subtle enough not to be noticed. I think the more important factor is the nature of the crowd present on a particular discussion - lively & engaged free thinking, but not abusive or vindictive bullying. Good moderation encourages the former & discourages the latter.

Ultimately, no amount of board design will prevent someone from acting badly. Only common sense, respect for others & the occasional moderator's big stick can do that.

• Like 2

What about “Are people using the SAD button as a dislike?” Is it supposed to relate to compassion, etc., or as a putdown. No doubt it will be used for the latter from time to time (if not nearly always) and the snarky, sarcastic contempt implied makes it a particularly odious dislike, much worse that a straightforward one. I don’t like the dismissive quality of it. I received a SAD recently on a post I wrote that represented a bona fide opinion (albeit a minority one), but I thought I made sense and would have liked to know what Reactor was thinking. Instead I get the cop-out SAD button, used by one who presumably feels a smug superiority without putting him/her self on the line by expressing an opinion.  A veritable verbal hit and run.  

7 minutes ago, limey said:

That is, indeed, a whole other discussion - starting from whatever agreements your ISP has from the moment you connect to the internet...

I prefer an environment where the moderation is subtle enough not to be noticed. I think the more important factor is the nature of the crowd present on a particular discussion - lively & engaged free thinking, but not abusive or vindictive bullying. Good moderation encourages the former & discourages the latter.

Ultimately, no amount of board design will prevent someone from acting badly. Only common sense, respect for others & the occasional moderator's big stick can do that.

Yes. One of the things I had to deal with on Digital Spy-- I was among a handful of Americans frequently posting on a mostly all British site with thousands of British posters. So I stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb, and in the beginning I took a bit of flak for things our government does abroad. I was being thrown into the role of diplomat. I never post in the political threads on this site, I'm about as apolitical as a person can be. So I really had to adjust to how my harmless comments about a British TV show could be perceived as American ideology or Trump imperialism. It was shocking when I told them half our country did not vote for our current president. LOL

The moderator was very helpful in helping me overcome the xenophobia and prejudice by basically protecting me on the site and encouraging me to stay. I think they knew I could make a difference. Now I write long commentaries over there when I feel the dialogue in British programmes is taking jabs at American culture. And I write freely about British actors who unconvincingly play American characters with lousy accents, so I've come full circle. Moderation gave me a place to contribute in a way where I didn't have to feel bullied or harassed on a message board, and I could take pride in who I am and what my culture represents. It's become a wonderful experience. But if we still had those extra unnecessary reaction buttons over there, it would be less wonderful.

11 minutes ago, laffite said:

What about “Are people using the SAD button as a dislike?” Is it supposed to relate to compassion, etc., or as a putdown. No doubt it will be used for the latter from time to time (if not nearly always) and the snarky, sarcastic contempt implied makes it a particularly odious dislike, much worse that a straightforward one. I don’t like the dismissive quality of it. I received a SAD recently on a post I wrote that represented a bona fide opinion (albeit a minority one), but I thought I made sense and would have liked to know what Reactor was thinking. Instead I get the cop-out SAD button, used by one who presumably feels a smug superiority without putting him/her self on the line by expressing an opinion.  A veritable verbal hit and run.  

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a genuinely sad post on this message board. There probably are some in the threads that get created for recently deceased celebrities. The sad button seems like it would be the least used.

5 minutes ago, laffite said:

It all comes down to how one should interpret them.   E.g. I have seen 'Sad' used and to me it look like the person was saying "I find what is said here 'sad'".   E.g. a plan to remake a 'classic' movie.   That is NOT a comment on the poster but instead what is being posted.

Same with 'Ha Ha';   most of the time it looks like the person is saying "I find this funny',  but I have seen it used where it appears to imply "I find you funny,  and NOT in a good way'.  

I also find it interesting that people wish to be 'hit' with a direct comment instead of a just a emo 'hit'.   I don't know if I would assume people that do an emo 'hit' are cowards.  Instead they could just truly wish to avoid a direct confrontation with someone (especially on the political threads),   and feel what they are doing is more 'friendly' (more in line with what the community desires). 

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a genuinely sad post on this message board. There probably are some in the threads that get created for recently deceased celebrities. The sad button seems like it would be the least used.

You don't participate in the political threads.     There are a lot of sad posts, often depending on where one stands politically.   

E.g. the church shooting in Texas today.   Someone may post a link to this news story.   Other users will click 'sad' for that post.    

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You don't participate in the political threads.     There are a lot of sad post depending on where one stands politically.  

Makes sense. I won't ask if I should be grateful I stay out of those threads. I salute those of you who go into battle each day. LOL

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. One of the things I had to deal with on Digital Spy-- I was among a handful of Americans frequently posting on a mostly all British site with thousands of British posters. So I stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb, and in the beginning I took a bit of flak for things our government does abroad. I was being thrown into the role of diplomat. I never post in the political threads on this site, I'm about as apolitical as a person can be. So I really had to adjust to how my harmless comments about a British TV show could be perceived as American ideology or Trump imperialism. It was shocking when I told them half our country did not vote for our current president. LOL

The moderator was very helpful in helping me overcome the xenophobia and prejudice by basically protecting me on the site and encouraging me to stay. I think they knew I could make a difference. Now I write long commentaries over there when I feel the dialogue in British programmes is taking jabs at American culture. And I write freely about British actors who unconvincingly play American characters with lousy accents, so I've come full circle. Moderation gave me a place to contribute in a way where I didn't have to feel bullied or harassed on a message board, and I could take pride in who I am and what my culture represents. It's become a wonderful experience. But if we still had those extra unnecessary reaction buttons over there, it would be less wonderful.

But do you write long commentaries on American programs taking jabs at British culture, or American actors unconvincingly playing British characters with lousy accents? :P

As an American on a largely British board, your posts should offer readers an interesting counterpoint & be valued as such - but you ought to expect an argument or 2 in return (preferably with more substance then you're a foreigner & therefore are automatically talking nonsense).

56 minutes ago, limey said:

But do you write long commentaries on American programs taking jabs at British culture, or American actors unconvincingly playing British characters with lousy accents? :P

As an American on a largely British board, your posts should offer readers an interesting counterpoint & be valued as such - but you ought to expect an argument or 2 in return (preferably with more substance then you're a foreigner & therefore are automatically talking nonsense).

So, I guess I shouldn't go there and complain about Benedict Cumberbatch's accent in "Doctor Strange", or JK Rowling's dopey 30's-Hollywood gangster "American" stereotypes in the Fantastic Beasts movies?  ("You can tell they're American, because they're named Goldstein and Kowalski!") :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

So, I guess I shouldn't go there and complain about Benedict Cumberbatch's accent in "Doctor Strange", or JK Rowling's dopey 30's-Hollywood gangster "American" stereotypes in the Fantastic Beasts movies?

Ok, we need a Can 'o Worms reaction button!

2016.06.28_can-of-worms-by-jason-crislip