calvinnme

Is this new discussion board change just a clever plot to get rid of it?

43 posts in this topic

@OP: I'm going to skip right past the technical challenges, since I have offered advice in other threads.  Firefox or Chrome shouldn't present any issues.  For me it is Firefox due to privacy issues, but you didn't ask about that.

The question about whether or not they intend to shut down this message board is a relevant one.  It may in fact be an experiment in the making, as in "it is being evaluated".  Of course I had the same thoughts three years ago or so back when I first joined.  As one who participates on some other discussion boards that the owners take seriously, I cannot really say this has ever really been a "moderated" board in the time I have been around.  The occasional drop-ins from some anonymous soul are not the same as two or three members who are designated as such, use their real names, are known in their industry, and participate regularly on the forum.  Maybe the liabilities here are just non-existent and that would be too much to ask for. But in my opinion, this approach tends to devalue it.

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

not the same as two or three members who are designated as such, use their real names, are known in their industry, and participate regularly on the forum. 

In my experience, those guys are the worst kind of "moderators". Inevitably, their ego's become problematic to all but the suck-ups - usually one in particular who will start acting as the "head" moderator and pull rank on the more reasonable others.

11 minutes ago, darkblue said:

In my experience, those guys are the worst kind of "moderators". Inevitably, their ego's become problematic to all but the suck-ups - usually one in particular who will start acting as the "head" moderator and pull rank on the more reasonable others.

Well in this case it's a non-starter.  Too many of those aforementioned points missing, so nobody who posts here  would instantly qualify or be "in".  New blood would be needed.  Or reconstituted blood from an old head.

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Well in this case it's a non-starter.  Too many of those aforementioned points missing.  New blood would be needed.

Yes, here the moderation is kept as invisible as possible. That's a good thing - the less presence they have, the better.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:14 AM, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, Calvin, I'm not having many of the problems you mention. The oldest post first issue is easily avoided by either clicking the dot/star next to the thread title (which takes you to the newest unread post) or clicking on the time stamp under the latest poster's name on the right (which will take you to the newest post). I'm not sure what you mean about the sentences going on forever. What happens when you hit the space bar?. Doesn't that give you a space and not a paragraph break? Hit enter when you want a new paragraph. I also embed YouTube videos virtually the same way that I used to: copy the video's URL and post it in the dialogue box. The blanked out dark screen is a mystery to me...I haven't seen anything like that, and can't help with that. I'm also not sure what you mean by not being able to reply to people. Do you mean quoting or private messaging?

Why is this so hard for some? One poster is "stunned" that the oldest post is first. Why, when it is a piece of cake to get to the recent ones, as you point out. I find it immensely satisfying that the opening post of relatively new threads can be so easily accessible by a single click and without scrolling. I like the general idea that the oldest (first ones) posts are accessible to anyone who has a curiosity of how a thread started, that the origin of the idea of thread is not relegated down the memory hole as it formerly was. The integrity of the thread (and respect for) is enhanced by allowing an easy look at its inception. And I seem to think that many of the problems that some are experiencing have more to do with their browser that with the current software. A couple of posters who use Firefox have recently indicated that they are not experiencing the problems that others have. So, maybe it's not all TCM's fault. The ability to drag or simply attach a photo to a post is a spectacular improvement. This is my favorite mention in any discussion of the new boards. I'm sorry though (genuinely) that so many are having problems with navigating the site. Firefox, ho!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

I'm sorry though (genuinely) that so many are having problems with navigating the site. 

Yes, I've noticed a few of our old regulars have been absent - Lorna, MarshaKatz in the games, Hibi, a few others. I hope they find a solution.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, I've noticed a few of our old regulars have been absent - Lorna, MarshaKatz in the games, Hibi, a few others. I hope they find a solution.

As far as the Oldest-post-first thing is concerned, I suspect that the dot/star hover to select 1st unread post is going to be the solution going forward. Googling around Invision's own forum, the topic seems to have been sporadically raised by board ops who's user base was either used to having new-post-first, or preferred it because of the nature of their forums - as far as I could tell, this was something that could be set at the admin/board level in earlier releases, but that capability was discontinued after version 4, which I assume this board was updated to, or later.

Most boards are typically oldest post first, but it remains a little odd that you can sort the topics as you please, but not the posts. However, it may not be something that TCM can change.

On 11/5/2017 at 2:01 PM, calvinnme said:

The first page I see is the oldest, I can't figure out how to imbed youtube links, I can't reply to people, just to topics, and many pages have long sections of

blanked out dark screen.  And  there is no reasonable length on sentences. They just go on forever in length until you hit return, then you have a new paragraph.

Oh, but if I want an emoji, I'm all set! Maybe die hard board members will put the time and effort into figuring how to navigate all of this and circumvent what must be

circumvented, but if anybody new wants to join the boards I'm sure they'll just throw up their hands and try some other board where posting is simple.

Then, eventually, death or disinterest will take the rest of us, to the point where only ten people are talking to one another, and TCM management will say

"Shut down the boards, nobody uses them anyways", which is probably what they wanted in the first place, just like the lame excuse imdb gave for shutting down

their discussion boards ..."imdb can't have discussion boards anymore because of, um, Trump!". All along it was just a cost cutting device.

End of rant.

Yes TB, it really is as bad as it seems. I still can't reply. Apparently I can only start a new thread. How do you reply? There is no reply button shown

after I enter text. JJG, I do not want to dig up a new browser and install it. I am perfectly OK with IE, I don't currently have Chrome on my computer. Why oh why

could they not just put up a simple POST button like before???

Movie Collector, I wish I could contradict you, but unfortunately all that you say is true; I can only reply here because I have Chrome.

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I was offline for about a week, but I'm back now. Thanks for noticing! Still dont like the new boards, but guess I'll adjust......

• Like 2

I am getting more comfortable with this "oldest posts first" setup, and can certainly work around it if needed. But there are some odd consequences of this. I've noticed posters reacting to posts I made years ago, probably because they pop up near the beginning of the threads now. The scary part is that I don't even remember posting some of the stuff. Also, this setup allows anyone to resurrect very old threads, an action which used to be frowned upon by previous moderators (not that the policy ever stopped me from doing it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I am getting more comfortable with this "oldest posts first" setup, and can certainly work around it if needed. But there are some odd consequences of this. I've noticed posters reacting to posts I made years ago, probably because they pop up near the beginning of the threads now. The scary part is that I don't even remember posting some of the stuff. Also, this setup allows anyone to resurrect very old threads, an action which used to be frowned upon by previous moderators (not that the policy ever stopped me from doing it).

As long as the newer posts are relevant to the old threads, I don't see what the problem would be.  It ties more information together.  The only situation where I have seen this discouraged for good cause is on forums where the OP posts a problem that needs to be solved, like on a car forum, and then the OP marks it as "solved".

Maybe that makes sense for the Information Please section, but not really for this.

I don't mean to feed the conspiracy theories, but I notice that the Filmstruck Blog site (previously known to us as the Movie Morlocks site) has now been converted over to being hosted on Tumblr as of November 1.  I would assume that this blog is relatively important for the Filmstruck subscription service as a primary way to promote the movies that are available, so I'm a little surprised that hosting would be given over to a 3rd party.  But it is probably a cost savings to not have to do the infrastructure to support continued daily postings.

Off on a tangent - since I was looking at the Tumblr interface through a web browser it took me a while to figure out how to do a simple search for a movie title.  Very disappointing.  I'm sure the phone app (which I haven't used) is much easier to navigate.  Must everything now be designed for phones first?  <end of tangent>

25 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I don't mean to feed the conspiracy theories, but I notice that the Filmstruck Blog site (previously known to us as the Movie Morlocks site) has now been converted over to being hosted on Tumblr as of November 1.  I would assume that this blog is relatively important for the Filmstruck subscription service as a primary way to promote the movies that are available, so I'm a little surprised that hosting would be given over to a 3rd party.  But it is probably a cost savings to not have to do the infrastructure to support continued daily postings.

Off on a tangent - since I was looking at the Tumblr interface through a web browser it took me a while to figure out how to do a simple search for a movie title.  Very disappointing.  I'm sure the phone app (which I haven't used) is much easier to navigate.  Must everything now be designed for phones first?  <end of tangent>

As a FilmStruck member, I think I've looked at the blog once. And that's a maybe. As for everything being for phones/mobile devices first...that appears to be the focus of every website's revisions. I don't use a mobile device, and don't even own a mobile phone, but apparently 98% of the rest of the country does, and it's their primary access point to the internet.

Been here a long time. Seen a lot of old hands gone. Excellent posters gone...the truth is the board has been going through major change the last few years. It's not the same it was 10 yrs. ago...look for more...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As a FilmStruck member, I think I've looked at the blog once. And that's a maybe. As for everything being for phones/mobile devices first...that appears to be the focus of every website's revisions. I don't use a mobile device, and don't even own a mobile phone, but apparently 98% of the rest of the country does, and it's their primary access point to the internet.

The FilmStruck blog started out nice, when it was just the Morlocks with a different movie lineup, and we thought there was going to be a mix of TCM and Criterion content--Then it turned into an ALL-Criterion service with a snooty all-Criterion blog, and and the blog went aloft into the pretentious stratosphere.  

Oh, and then, FilmStruck had its "Gay cinema" month, which brought all the overenthusiastic warriors out to trumpet all the "secret subtexts" in our favorite beloved classics, which didn't go down well with the regular posters--The service soon had to permanently block all "mean" commenters just for any suspect hint of not being Free, Tolerant and Rainbow, which stifled the discussion to a trickle, even after FilmStruck moved on to the next month's theme.  They'll Do It Every Time(tm).  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

Been here a long time. Seen a lot of old hands gone. Excellent posters gone...the truth is the board has been going through major change the last few years. It's not the same it was 10 yrs. ago...look for more...

You got to also factor in that a lot of them are just dying off. 

• Like 1

I figured out what the "long blank/black sections" were that I was seeing when I went to Firefox. In IE youtube links appear as the long blank/black sections. In Firefox they are perfectly visible as what they actually are.