calvinnme

Is this new discussion board change just a clever plot to get rid of it?

43 posts in this topic

The first page I see is the oldest, I can't figure out how to imbed youtube links, I can't reply to people, just to topics, and many pages have long sections of

blanked out dark screen.  And  there is no reasonable length on sentences. They just go on forever in length until you hit return, then you have a new paragraph.

Oh, but if I want an emoji, I'm all set! Maybe die hard board members will put the time and effort into figuring how to navigate all of this and circumvent what must be

circumvented, but if anybody new wants to join the boards I'm sure they'll just throw up their hands and try some other board where posting is simple.

Then, eventually, death or disinterest will take the rest of us, to the point where only ten people are talking to one another, and TCM management will say

"Shut down the boards, nobody uses them anyways", which is probably what they wanted in the first place, just like the lame excuse imdb gave for shutting down

their discussion boards ..."imdb can't have discussion boards anymore because of, um, Trump!". All along it was just a cost cutting device.

End of rant.

Yes TB, it really is as bad as it seems. I still can't reply. Apparently I can only start a new thread. How do you reply? There is no reply button shown

after I enter text. JJG, I do not want to dig up a new browser and install it. I am perfectly OK with IE, I don't currently have Chrome on my computer. Why oh why

could they not just put up a simple POST button like before???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for your rant calvin. Is it really as bad as it seems?

I find I've been getting the hang of it, and there are some pluses over the previous design.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

The first page I see is the oldest, I can't figure out how to imbed youtube links, I can't reply to people, just to topics, and many pages have long sections of

blanked out dark screen.  And  there is no reasonable length on sentences. They just go on forever in length until you hit return, then you have a new paragraph.

Oh, but if I want an emoji, I'm all set! Maybe die hard board members will put the time and effort into figuring how to navigate all of this and circumvent what must be

circumvented, but if anybody new wants to join the boards I'm sure they'll just throw up their hands and try some other board where posting is simple.

Then, eventually, death or disinterest will take the rest of us, to the point where only ten people are talking to one another, and TCM management will say

"Shut down the boards, nobody uses them anyways", which is probably what they wanted in the first place, just like the lame excuse imdb gave for shutting down

their discussion boards ..."imdb can't have discussion boards anymore because of, um, Trump!". All along it was just a cost cutting device.

End of rant.

Use Chrome.   

I use Firefox and don't have any issues. I do have issues like the ones mentioned when I use Internet Explorer.

I have not tried embedding a youtube link yet, but I see there is a "chain" icon which you can click on to enter a link, so that may be how it's done.

I do like the fact that we can simply drag images into the reply area, rather than having to use an image hosting server.

The emojis are something I can do without.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

End of rant.

Yeah, Calvin, I'm not having many of the problems you mention. The oldest post first issue is easily avoided by either clicking the dot/star next to the thread title (which takes you to the newest unread post) or clicking on the time stamp under the latest poster's name on the right (which will take you to the newest post). I'm not sure what you mean about the sentences going on forever. What happens when you hit the space bar?. Doesn't that give you a space and not a paragraph break? Hit enter when you want a new paragraph. I also embed YouTube videos virtually the same way that I used to: copy the video's URL and post it in the dialogue box. The blanked out dark screen is a mystery to me...I haven't seen anything like that, and can't help with that. I'm also not sure what you mean by not being able to reply to people. Do you mean quoting or private messaging?

As I understand things, the Invision software that this board runs is a commercial product that TCM pays to use - I doubt that they'd have gone to the trouble of updating to a newer version of the software merely to sabotage the usage of the board - they'd have just have done the IMDB thing (the IMDB boards had become a royal mess, but many nuggets of useful information were lost when they wiped them).

Most other boards I've visited use the oldest post first setup, so it actually caused me more trouble when I first joined up here. I got used to it & miss it now, but the click to the last read post trick works reasonably well.

It seems to run well on Firefox (even the ancient version I run on some XP boxes) - once I realized that I needed to add both tcm.com & invisioncic.com to noscript (if you don't use noscript, no worries). Internet Exploder does not play nicely, though.

37 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, Calvin, I'm not having many of the problems you mention. The oldest post first issue is easily avoided by either clicking the dot/star next to the thread title (which takes you to the newest unread post) or clicking on the time stamp under the latest poster's name on the right (which will take you to the newest post). I'm not sure what you mean about the sentences going on forever. What happens when you hit the space bar?. Doesn't that give you a space and not a paragraph break? Hit enter when you want a new paragraph. I also embed YouTube videos virtually the same way that I used to: copy the video's URL and post it in the dialogue box. The blanked out dark screen is a mystery to me...I haven't seen anything like that, and can't help with that. I'm also not sure what you mean by not being able to reply to people. Do you mean quoting or private messaging?

I used to use IE,  and did again once the 'new' site was ready.    When typing a sentence like I'm doing now,  the text would just continue to 'go right' FOREVER.   No formatting.  Just more and more text 'going right'.   One had to hit 'enter' to 'break' the text so it could be 'viewed' on the screen.  

This is the main reason I switched to Chrome.    I would hope this 'wrap around' issue has been fixed but since I'm now use to Chrome I'm not going back to IE.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Fedya said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOnOrRrFP9M

For some reason I'm seeing the Youtube link I included as a link, not an embedded video.

Yes, your post appears as a link to me, as well. My follow-up post was me testing my method again, and it worked for me...just pasting the link into a dialogue box makes it appear as the video for me. I'm using a PC laptop with Windows 10 and Chrome, btw.

[youtube]

be]

Hmmm....  This time it did work.  I was going to put it in the square youtube tags, but as I was typing the closing tag the video showed up.

I'm not comfortable with the new board, and it is definitely getting me to use it less. I have a terrible sense of direction, and, even though I've been told by savvier posters that there are various ways (too many) to get to any given point, once there, the navigation confounds me. So I don't play the games anymore. The easiest things for me to do are to start new threads; or resurrect very old ones, since I don't really have to absorb the content to comment on the stated subject. Sometimes -- like this thread -- it's easy for me to post on very short new threads.

A "Newest posts first" button would solve these problems; but, as the title of this thread says, maybe TCM does want to phase out the board. 

Also, it's a shame we no longer have the ability to see who is in any given thread. That gave the board more of a living, spontaneous feel, which is now gone. The absence of that feature makes the board less fun.

(Yes, I know you can hover over a poster's name which in many cases will tell you if they're on, but that's yet another step in the new cumbersome process.)

baddesignaward.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm not comfortable with the new board, and it is definitely getting me to use it less. I have a terrible sense of direction, and, even though I've been told by savvier posters that there are various ways (too many) to get to any given point, once there, the navigation confounds me. So I don't play the games anymore. The easiest things for me to do are to start new threads; or resurrect very old ones, since I don't really have to absorb the content to comment on the stated subject. Sometimes -- like this thread -- it's easy for me to post on very short new threads.

A "Newest posts first" button would solve these problems; but, as the title of this thread says, maybe TCM does want to phase out the board. 

Also, it's a shame we no longer have the ability to see who is in any given thread. That gave the board more of a living, spontaneous feel, which is now gone. The absence of that feature makes the board less fun.

(Yes, I know you can hover over a poster's name which in many cases will tell you if they're on, but that's yet another step in the new cumbersome process.)

baddesignaward.png

I agree this is horrible and the print is too small and on my screen the font is way too light to read easily.  TCM is changing and I am moving away.  Have subscribed to BritBox and Acorn on my Prime site...so I am having a retro English TV time at the moment.  You haven't lived until you are taken back to the politically incorrect shows of the 70's on BBC and ITV. 

10 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Wow, what're you using?

I'm on Safari, no dark screens, a nice HTML-designed page, and YouTube links embed nicely--Just by posting the URL in the message, no brackets (takes a moment, but they show up), like this:

(Heheh, always wanted an excuse to post that. :P ) And then a little annoying bar shows up asking whether you want it as a link instead...NO.

I'm also not getting long non-wrapping sentences, so I don't have to

break them up with Returns, which

automatically start new paragraph blocks...Okay, that they could drop tomorrow and I'd be happy.  :angry: 

Just found out one cannot view the old archived threads from the beginning of the message board.:(

Edited by hamradio
Typo

1 hour ago, Emily Dean said:

I agree this is horrible and the print is too small and on my screen the font is way too light to read easily.  TCM is changing and I am moving away.  Have subscribed to BritBox and Acorn on my Prime site...so I am having a retro English TV time at the moment.  You haven't lived until you are taken back to the politically incorrect shows of the 70's on BBC and ITV. 

Please watch: " Tell Me Where It Hurts" for me.

Years ago when I was living in London that's the one that got me hooked.

Now I have the DVD collections of "Keeping Up Appearances", "The Vicar of Dibley", " As Time Goes By", " Doc Martin" et al. It's like an incurable disease. LOL

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Just found out one cannot view the old achieved threads from the beginning of the message board.:(

What are achieved threads?

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What are archived threads?

The oldest threads you can read but cannot reply to. On some sites the webmaster will archive those that have not been replied to..known as a 'dead' thread.  

Sorry for the typo. My bad.

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

The oldest threads you can read but cannot reply to. On some sites the webmaster will archive those that have not been replied to..known as a 'dead' thread.  Sorry for the typo.

Oh, okay. I thought there was some other kind of goofy achievement type nonsense that I wasn't aware of.

How did you access those threads before? I don't recall seeing any from before 2002-ish and those are still viewable.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Oh, okay. I thought there was some other kind of goofy achievement type nonsense that I wasn't aware of.

How did you access those threads before? I don't recall seeing any from before 2002-ish and those are still viewable.

I was the first on the board to access the very beginning without having to keep clicking on <Previous> - created a thread long time ago showing how to, it was done by editing the numbers in the address bar. Haven't been able to do that (going back that far) since the last upgrade. Neat to see old long since gone posters.  Wish now took screen shots of them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

We should give thanks the emoji's don't do this...

facebook-emoji-reactions.gif

The "Yay" emoji kinda makes me smile- he's cute!

It's all a matter of adjusting.  There's changes in other aspects of my life I have more issues with than what they do in some "pissant" internet forum.  But here it just takes getting used to.  I get here via AOL on a desktop PC with Windows 7 professional.  Everything looks OK, just have to work it differently.  I've a bigger issue with the "updating" AOL recently did that keeps certain sites on my "favorites" list unable to load.  And they're really no help either.  Their "customer support" guys in Sri Lanka have no idea what problem I seem to be having regardless of HOW carefully I try to explain.

And just now using it, I'd have to say I'm no fan of the "double line spacing" either.

Sepiatone