Sign in to follow this  
bombaybob

The Petrified Forest

8 posts in this topic

Greetings All, My favorite movie is The Petrified Forest 1936. I love how the vast expanse of the Arizona desert is gradually reduced to a single room with just enough space for all the diverse personalties and egos that come together to coexist. Bette Davis,Leslie Howard, and Humphrey Bogart all turn in stellar performances assisted ably by Dick Foran, Charley Grapewin, Genevieve Tobin and a host of others. While the film keeps you riveted to the main characters what really stood out to me was Genevieve Tobin's performance as Mrs. Chisholm the loyal yet painfully unhappy wife who is willing to take a risk then be miserable. For those of you who have watched this film tell me why you like it. For those who haven't buy it, rent it, or catch it next time it comes on TCM it is one hour and twenty two minutes you won't regret. (One mans humble opinion).     CHEERS!    Bombaybob

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bombaybob said:

Greetings All, My favorite movie is The Petrified Forest 1936. I love how the vast expanse of the Arizona desert is gradually reduced to a single room with just enough space for all the diverse personalties and egos that come together to coexist. Bette Davis,Leslie Howard, and Humphrey Bogart all turn in stellar performances assisted ably by Dick Foran, Charley Grapewin, Genevieve Tobin and a host of others. While the film keeps you riveted to the main characters what really stood out to me was Genevieve Tobin's performance as Mrs. Chisholm the loyal yet painfully unhappy wife who is willing to take a risk then be miserable. For those of you who have watched this film tell me why you like it. For those who haven't buy it, rent it, or catch it next time it comes on TCM it is one hour and twenty two minutes you won't regret. (One mans humble opinion).     CHEERS!    Bombaybob

The Petrified Forest is also my favorite film.    Davis is my favorite actress and Howard my favorite actor,  and they are just wonderful in this film.    Of course there is Bogart who thanks to Howard got his big Hollywood break leading to a contract with Warner Bros. 

These two were also great in the breakout Davis performance Of Human Bondage and the very funny comedy It's Love I'm After with Olivia DeHavilland.

My favorite scene in the film is at the start when Davis and Howard go on the roof.    

• Like 1

Hi Bombaybob and welcome to the message boards.

I don't like the staginess of it (betraying its Broadway origins) and enjoy the exterior scenes best. I love how it cuts away to Tobin with the others in the car. To me, she's the most interesting character in the story. 

This was Bogey as a bad guy before Warners had typecast him. His wife Mayo Methot became quite distressed that he was always assigned to play the heavy after this. In a drunken rage at a party she went up to director Tay Garnett and asked when someone was going to give her husband a nicer part. So Garnett ended up directing him in the 1937 comedy STAND-IN, where Bogart was able to play against type and reunite on screen with his pal Leslie Howard. 

Another crime movie, but not that normal. I also especially like the scenes in Arizona desert, and the main actor/actress made a watchable couple. And it meant to show a society on its decline, propping itself up with patriotic guff, fairy tales, and violence.

4 hours ago, Aladinni said:

Another crime movie, but not that normal. I also especially like the scenes in Arizona desert, and the main actor/actress made a watchable couple. And it meant to show a society on its decline, propping itself up with patriotic guff, fairy tales, and violence.

I love the dialog.   So while I agree with TB that the 1936 film looked like a staged play,  as Mitchum said,  baby I don't care.    I could listen to Howard and Davis trade their lines with a sheet as the backdrop. 

On 11/23/2017 at 5:47 AM, Aladinni said:

And thus the very reason why James here and I have been saying for years that this film is ripe for a remake, Aladinni.

(...those timeless societal conceits which you've just listed)