Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

The Falcons, Nov 6

8 posts in this topic

Nov 6 is Falcon day.  Lots of good shows.  The Falcon in Mexico and the Falcon and the Co-Eds are two of my favorites. Out West and In Hollywood are also very entertaining.

The Falcon's Brother is when Tom Conway takes over the role from his real brother George Sanders.

• Like 2

I was reading something on wiki that claimed this series helped RKO perfect the film noir formula. I hadn't considered them in such a way, but given the performers and directors involved it does make sense.

• Thanks 1

Just watched Takes Over, which is based on Farewell My Lovely (the book).  Interesting to see how they did it for the Falcon, Murder My Sweet and Mitchum's FML.

Strikes Back is interesting comparison of Harriet Hillard's acting vs. that of Harriet Nelson's later on TV.  Personally I think she was much better in Strikes Back.  Maybe it was the directors?

Co-Ed is only one with three stars (on Spectum info.), but I think Mexico and Strikes Back are interesting for the travelogue features.  Same can be said for Out West and Hollywood.  I probably watch Mexico and Strikes Back more than the others.

Maybe The Saints and The Falcons can be considered Film Noir Light?

• Like 2

I didnt realize there was a marathon yesterday until I turned the tv on. Unfortunately all the afternoon films were ones I'd already seen. I'm not sure there are any I havent seen by now, but I'm not sure.

I really enjoyed my day with The Falcon...George and Tom both.  It is a shame really that Tom didn't do better as he is quite attractive but "there is something about George" that just keeps you engaged with him and his character that Tom didn't quite have.  Regardless, a fun day, light and enjoyable and I just loved how in "The Falcon in Mexico" we were given a travel segment re: the Butterfly Boats. 

It is cold and grey here in Kansas so it was a great day to curl up with the doggies and TCM for the afternoon.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Emily Dean said:

I really enjoyed my day with The Falcon...George and Tom both.  It is a shame really that Tom didn't do better as he is quite attractive but "there is something about George" that just keeps you engaged with him and his character that Tom didn't quite have.  Regardless, a fun day, light and enjoyable and I just loved how in "The Falcon in Mexico" we were given a travel segment re: the Butterfly Boats. 

It is cold and grey here in Kansas so it was a great day to curl up with the doggies and TCM for the afternoon.

George Sanders for Star of the Month. That's what we want, right Emily? :)

• Like 1

I really enjoyed these movies too. It was interesting seeing a young Harriet Nelson (ne. Hillard) and Barbara Hale. Tom Conway was great too. After reading about him on Wikipedia, I was sorry to see he went into decline later in his career. 

• Like 3

On 11/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, TopBilled said:

George Sanders for Star of the Month. That's what we want, right Emily? :)

Yes Top Billed this is what we truly want and how TCM keeps on ignoring our pleas is unbelievable.  Here I am, a faithful watcher from the very beginning, now having to sit through adverts for wine, pay as you go fan clubs and pestered with auctions and sales of DVDS, I still watch.  

You and I have been lobbying for George for several years now...how do we rile up the George "ettes" to give him his due?....I am with you TB.  Emily

• Like 1