Palmerin

Why These Freudian Slips?

9 posts in this topic

Edward Montgomery Clift was honored with days dedicated to him on 2016 and 2017; in both of those years FREUD was omitted. Why? IMdB.COM rates that production an impressive 7:3.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Palmerin said:

Edward Montgomery Clift was honored with days dedicated to him on 2016 and 2017; in both of those years FREUD was omitted. Why? IMdB.COM rates that production an impressive 7:3.

It may have a rights issue. It's the only Clift movie I haven't seen, as it is rarely, if ever, shown. I'll also add that I haven't heard much good about it, despite the IMDb rating.

I've never heard of it having a rights issue. We watched this one in a film school course I took at USC, appropriately called "Psychoanalytic Theory in Hollywood Cinema." I think there were a lot of production problems when it was made, but it is a very impressive motion picture. The dream sequences are ably directed by John Huston and Clift's performance is top-notch.

Like Vivien Leigh's THE DEEP BLUE SEA, this is one of those titles that has fallen off TCM's radar. Given the fact Leigh and Clift have such lean filmographies to begin with, viewers would appreciate the chance to discover rarely seen movies with such well-known stars in them.

48 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I've never heard of it having a rights issue. We watched this one in a film school course I took at USC, appropriately called "Psychoanalytic Theory in Hollywood Cinema." I think there were a lot of production problems when it was made, but it is a very impressive motion picture. The dream sequences are ably directed by John Huston and Clift's performance is top-notch.

Given it's a "Why were they so mean and ignoring it?" Palmerin question, I'm guessing "Rights issue" referred to it being a Universal film.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

It may have a rights issue. It's the only Clift movie I haven't seen, as it is rarely, if ever, shown. I'll also add that I haven't heard much good about it, despite the IMDb rating.

It's excellent. I used to watch it every time it was on television back in the late 60's - early 70's. Must've seen it 4 or 5 times back then.

I've been waiting for years, hoping TCM would show Freud. The network has never shown it, according to Movie CollectorOH's database. TCM has shown plenty of other Universals from around the same era. I just always assumed it was a rights issue; otherwise, I figured it would have turned up at least once in 20-plus years, but I have no specific information.

• Like 1

Well, I looked for a dvd of 'Freud' and all I could find was one available from several vendors in South Korea.

I ordered one. The vendor claims it's new, widescreen, English, removable Korean subtitles, region 0, 134 minutes running time.

The price, including delivery, is just under $10.

I do have a player that will play region 0 discs, and I can make a copy in region 1 code if I wish.

I've purchased a couple of dvd's in the past from South Korea - the only problem being that newer movies are sometimes censored (I threw away a dvd of 'Intimacy' (2001) when it was a version with genitalia fogged over, for example).

But 'Freud' has nothing in it requiring any kind of censorship, so as long as it plays all the way through I think I'll be happy. We'll see.