Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

does anyone know why AUDREY HEPBURN didn't get DIARY OF ANNE FRANK?

12 posts in this topic

this seems crazy to me.

Audrey LIVED through Nazi Occupation in Holland, and almost died.

She worked for the resistance.

She was a very hot property when DIARY OF ANNE FRANK was being cast.

Why wasn't she starring in it?

Any experts know?

thanks a bunch!

MV5BNzIzMDgxOTYwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzIwOTI2__V1_.jpg.a8fd37429116ba6343385394912ae0a6.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Otto Frank personally wrote to Audrey Hepburn, asking her if she would play the part of his daughter Anne. Frank told Hepburn that his daughter would have been honoured to have such a famous Hollywood actress play her on film, and he also noted the striking resemblance that existed between Anne and Hepburn when she was an adolescent. She was initially interested in the role, and her name appears on the back cover of copies of the diary printed and sold to promote the "upcoming film".

During the casting period, Hepburn ultimately wrote back declining the offer, saying she felt she was too old, and lacked the skills to portray Anne. She said she was greatly honoured to have been given the choice, and noted the similarity between her own war experience and that of the Franks and the others in the annex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hepburn was 9 years older than Millie Perkins who was cast in the film.    Perkins was 20\21 during filming while Frank was a teen.    (some say Perkins was too old for the role,  and if that is the case Hepburn was really too old).

Interesting that both Hepburn and Frank were born in 1929,  but the movie was made in 1958 \ 59.

I would have to agree with Audrey.  Anne Frank died when she was 15.  Audrey Hepburn would have been 29/30 when the film was being made.  I would say that that would have been a stretch.  I'm sure that were she a teenager and had the same look and skill she did as an adult, she would have been perfect.  But 1958/1959 Audrey was simply too old.  

Thanks very much for your thoughtful replies.

IMHO, I think Audrey would have nailed this role, and brought the film to a whole other level of performance.

12 hours ago, laffite said:

They could have made her look it. She would have been great.

I don't know.   It is a lot easier to make someone look older (convincingly) than younger.    To me the producers should have cast an actress that was no older then 16,  but finding someone that could pull off such a roll would have been difficult. 

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't know.   It is a lot easier to make someone look older (convincingly) than younger.    To me the producers should have cast an actress that was no older then 16,  but finding someone that could pull off such a roll would have been difficult. 

It's not really too hard. Most teenage and younger characters in sitcoms are played by actors in their 20s and 30s. Audrey could have gotten away with it.

Millie Perkins was born in 1936. That makes her 23 in 1959 when ANNE FRANK was filmed.

She seemed too old for the film at the time, and she was.

1 hour ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Millie Perkins was born in 1936. That makes her 23 in 1959 when ANNE FRANK was filmed.

She seemed too old for the film at the time, and she was.

Perkins was born on May 12,  1938 according to Wikipedia.    If 1938 is her correct DOB Perkins was 9 years younger than Hepburn.   So if Perkins was 'too old' Hepburn would have been really too old. 

Yeah I also feel Hepburn can fit in this beautiful role, but she personally felt that she was too old for Anne. It would have been nice to see Hepburn in this movie.

Susan Strasberg would also have been very good in the role.  She played it on Broadway and was nominated for a Tony Award.  Not sure if she was considered for the part, but she certainly should have been.  She was petite and young looking, so surely could have pulled off the look.  Well, just goes to show how fickle show business can be.