Sign in to follow this  
Hoganman1

Current Films that will be Classics

30 posts in this topic

They will be Blood and The Tree of Life are my choices for the movies of the last ten years that are most likely to survive.  I think that in time A Christmas Story and The Shawshank Redemption will be viewed the way From Here to Eternity and The Ten Commandments:  popular movies but not really considered the best of their time.

Just now, skimpole said:

They will be Blood and The Tree of Life are my choices for the movies of the last ten years that are most likely to survive.  I think that in time A Christmas Story and The Shawshank Redemption will be viewed the way From Here to Eternity and The Ten Commandments:  popular movies but not really considered the best of their time.

Don't know if I mentioned Tree of Life up above, but it is a masterful film that will be fondly remembered by film scholars everywhere.

I would agree that judging the movies from this decade is a tad foolhardy, as these are too recent and mentally, it is difficult to predict which ones will end up being perceived as "classics." That being said, I would say that select films from the 1980s and 1990s have become "cult classics" among many, not to mention among millennials. E.g. The Breakfast Club (& every single other John Hughes teen flick). 

On 11/15/2017 at 7:06 PM, skimpole said:

As I recall, Shawshank grossed about $50 million and was a multiple Oscar nominee, including a Best Picture nod, so it certainly had a respectable theatrical run, but it REALLY had one of the most amazing afterlives in film history in terms of TV airings and DVD sales/rentals. Can't tell you how many men I've heard say if they stumble across it on TV, they stick with it until it's over. For men, it seems to be like The Godfather in that regard. I don't now how much women care about it. I'm not even sure how great I think it is (I do love the ending), but it is highly re-watchable: heck, I've probably seen it 10 times over the years.

And much to the chagrin of several people in here you gotta know that FORREST GUMP is likely to be considered a "classic" in coming years.  

APOLLO 13 will likely make the cut

But MY hope is that both SHINE and Will Smith's THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS get included.

Look at the list of those already considered "classics" and you'll notice many have that "feel good" and happy ending vibe to 'em.

Sepiatone