Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Soap hunks and divas

103 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I love some of those descriptions! :lol:

I know quite a few of those: Deidre Hall, of course (I also liked Kristin Alfonso back in the 80's at the height of the original Bo & Hope storyline); Jeanne Cooper, a frequent presence in many a 60's TV show; Linda Dano I remember (my mother also watched Another World) and I recall her even getting a talk show at one point; Lucci, Collins, and Zimmer are also very well known to me. The rest I'm sure about, so I'll be sure to check in and read about them.

As for the guys, I know Moss, Diamont, Alec Baldwin naturally, John Wesley Shipp (The Flash!), and Shemar Moore, who my oldest sister loves.

Sounds like your family watched NBC soaps. In our home it was mostly CBS soaps. But I remember when Search for Tomorrow switched networks, over to NBC, I followed it to its new "home" then I started watching Days of Our Lives too, since it came on right after Search ended. When we bought our first VCR, then I could record other shows on ABC that aired at the same time and expand my knowledge of the genre. I started watching the British soap EastEnders in college, because our local PBS channel showed episodes on the weekend, but they were a few years behind. So EE is the British soap I know best.

The list of divas and hunks I came up with were just the first ones I thought of, but of course there are so many others. I'm sure I'll have to talk about Anne Heche too, since she cut her acting teeth at Another World and earned two Emmys right out of the gate. The soaps have always been a good training ground for future stars. They perform so much material each year that it requires a lot of discipline, and many of the ones who are terrible in the beginning seem to improve rapidly. 

• Like 4

So many famous stars started on daytime. You can also add Meg Ryan.

One embarrassing confession: although many (mostly women) in my childhood years were soap addicts, I never acquired the taste. I was OK with primetime soaps like DALLAS primarily because they were no different than other TV dramas shown once a week. It was hard for me to stay committed to something shown daily with so much else going on in my life. The medical profession was one I had zero interest in, although I did watch GREY'S ANATOMY in its early years mostly because of all of the sex going on. Again that was not a soap opera. Of course, there tended to be more sex in daytime than primetime anyway.

These soap stars will remain forever-popular throughout the years, because they became an everyday fixture in the house.

Today, if I don't watch "Days of Our Lives", I feel like I'm missing an important part of my day.

Especially, now, with the return of "the dead" Will Horton, who is not only alive, but straight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlewis said:

So many famous stars started on daytime. You can also add Meg Ryan.

One embarrassing confession: although many (mostly women) in my childhood years were soap addicts, I never acquired the taste. I was OK with primetime soaps like DALLAS primarily because they were no different than other TV dramas shown once a week. It was hard for me to stay committed to something shown daily with so much else going on in my life. The medical profession was one I had zero interest in, although I did watch GREY'S ANATOMY in its early years mostly because of all of the sex going on. Again that was not a soap opera. Of course, there tended to be more sex in daytime than primetime anyway.

I thought about Meg Ryan and Julianne Moore (also on As the World Turns) but they didn't play divas. Anne Heche had a dual role on Another World and one of her characters was a real hell raiser. Someone's been posting a lot of Anne's episodes (from 1987 to 1991) on YouTube and I've been so impressed with her acting--she plays two very different characters and nails them both. It's not difficult to see why she's had a long career and why she's the lead on a primetime series today when a lot of actresses in her age group are struggling to find work. Also when I profile her, I can include a photo of her and Ellen Degeneres. LOL

I think primetime soaps are in a separate category, and the performers have days to work on scenes. The daytime performer doesn't get that luxury. That's why instead of Alexis, I am going to focus on Joan Collins' daytime role as Alexandra Spaulding on Guiding Light, because I think she really stepped up to the plate. Despite the budget constraints and rushed production, she did work that was just as good as what she had done on 'Dynasty' years earlier. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, rayban said:

These soap stars will remain forever-popular throughout the years, because they became an everyday fixture in the house.

Yes, habitual daily viewing led to a familiarity with the characters and performers. In Britain, it's this way too-- they really develop a strong attachment. One actor (William Roache who plays Ken Barlow on Coronation Street) is in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the same character continuously since 1960. He's in his 80s now and still appearing. I'm sure when he passes away, they'll mourn him like they would the queen or king of England.

• Like 1

I am so glad that you mentioned Joan Collins - her consistent excellence on "Dynasty" was exceptional.

Not only her excellence, but her fashion sense, as well.

She was glamour incarnate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

Now you know how ignorant I am about soaps since I have no clue who is a "diva" or not.

So many divas, so little time.

Deidre Hall ("Days of Our Lives") is my idea of a current "diva".

Not only with her long history on the show, but in the very way she carries herself.

Deidre Hall marries Will and Sonny on "Days Of Our Lives" -

latest?cb=20140718040720

• Like 2

Screen shot 2017-11-16 at 6.57.20 PM.png

Diedre Hall will always be remembered for her iconic role as Dr. Marlena Evans on NBC's long-running sudser Days of Our Lives. She joined the program in the summer of 1976. Interestingly, she was also under contract to ABC at the same time for her role in a children's action adventure series.

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 8.25.25 AM.png

The kids show ended in 1977 and from then on, she focused exclusively on her role as the well-regarded psychiatrist of Salem. Dee benefited from being paired with Jed Allan, then Wayne Northrop, and then Drake Hogestyn. So her character had continuous front burner stories as part of three major supercouples on the show. When Allan moved on to another daytime soap and Northrop departed for primetime, the writers recast Northrop's role with Hogestyn. But then when Northrop wanted to come back, it turned out Hogestyn was playing an impostor and a very memorable triangle occurred. The dress Dee wore for her character's first wedding to Hogestyn was widely derided in the soap press and dubbed the Statue of Liberty wedding dress.

Screen shot 2017-11-16 at 6.49.17 PM.png

Dee stayed in the role of Marlena until 1987 when she was again pulling double duty on another series-- this time NBC's family drama Our House in which she appeared as Wilford Brimley's daughter-in-law and the mother of a young Shannen Doherty. Doing two series at once was too much of a grind so Marlena was killed off in the spring of '87, but of course fans knew she didn't really die and would return someday. She eventually resurrected the character in 1991. During her four years away, she finished Our House; she appeared in several high profile TV movies; played a record producer's wife on an arc of CBS' celebrated crime drama WiseGuy; she became a commercial spokeswoman for Hallmark greeting cards; and she did a special episode of Murder, She Wrote filmed in Italy. So she definitely kept busy.

Screen shot 2017-11-16 at 6.55.13 PM.png

In the 1990s, she had her most memorable storyline on Days of Our Lives when Marlena became possessed by the devil. The storyline was controversial to say the least. Salem's moral compass suddenly didn't have a prayer. Dee gave an interview at the time and said she enjoyed the more challenging aspects of the demonic tale and thought viewers would appreciate Marlena's ultimate redemption.

Screen shot 2017-11-16 at 6.53.43 PM.png

But in 2003 the character fell from grace once again and became a serial killer. Yes, only on daytime. And only on daytime did her stint as a killer turn out to be one big drug-induced hallucination. Recently she's been playing a dual role on the series-- as beloved Marlena, and as her no-good lookalike Hattie. Who knows what the writers have store for her in 2018. But she's certainly going to be remembered as one of the most special additions to the cast of Days of Our Lives. Since 1976, even with a four year break in the late 80s, she has managed to rack up the most appearances of any performer in the history of the soap. She has been in over 4000 of the show's episodes. There has seldom been a year when she wasn't on screen 100 times. 

• Like 4

These soap divas, like Deidre Hall, must have remarkable stamina, because they manage to be on their shows so much of the time.

Recently, it's been such "fun" watching Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans and her no-good lookalike, Hattie.

But I'm wondering - will Marlene be instrumental in helping the "new" Will to be able to realize that he is a gay man and married to a gay man, too?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rayban said:

These soap divas, like Deidre Hall, must have remarkable stamina, because they manage to be on their shows so much of the time.

Recently, it's been such "fun" watching Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans and her no-good lookalike, Hattie.

But I'm wondering - will Marlene be instrumental in helping the "new" Will to be able to realize that he is a gay man and married to a gay man, too?

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 8.31.34 AM.png

Yes, I think she's having a blast playing Hattie. She gets to let her hair down more with that character, be less inhibited. Marlena is such a regal, tightly wound woman; but Hattie's the total opposite. 

Re: Will's story...if they do go in that direction, it will probably get its share of criticism, because I don't think part of the viewing audience wants a 'straight' character to go gay. Even if he used to be gay!

• Haha 1

Another interesting bit about Deidre Hall is that she has a twin sister who also appeared on the show, Andrea Hall. I remember the Salem Strangler storyline from the early 80's where they faked out the viewers that Marlene had been killed but it ended up being her twin sister Samantha (and the namesake of Marlene's daughter Samantha/Sami [Allison Sweeney]).

87ae505b92b6d971186a3a4308f197df.jpg

• Like 1

Another interesting bit about Deidre Hall is that she has a twin sister who also appeared on the show, Andrea Hall. I remember the Salem Strangler storyline from the early 80's where they faked out the viewers that Marlene had been killed but it ended up being her twin sister Samantha (and the namesake of Marlene's daughter Samantha/Sami [Allison Sweeney]).

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Andrea Hall also played Hattie, when the lookalike was first introduced in 2000. But in recent storylines she did not return to the series so Dee has been doing both characters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 8.31.34 AM.png

Yes, I think she's having a blast playing Hattie. She gets to let her hair down more with that character, be less inhibited. Marlena is such a regal, tightly wound woman; but Hattie's the total opposite. 

Re: Will's story...if they do go in that direction, it will probably get its share of criticism, because I don't think part of the viewing audience wants a 'straight' character to go gay. Even if he used to be gay!

But don't these soaps realize that a good-sized portion of their tv audience is comprised of gay men?

I find Sonny's struggle to convince Will that he, Sonny, is his husband - rather "sexy".

"Days Of Our Lives" made tv history with Will and Sonny's wedding - four days of high gay content!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

But don't these soaps realize that a good-sized portion of their tv audience is comprised of gay men?

I find Sonny's struggle to convince Will that he, Sonny, is his husband - rather "sexy".

"Days Of Our Lives" made tv history with Will and Sonny's wedding - four days of high gay content!

Of course the audience is comprised mostly of straight women and gay men (straight men don't count LOL). 

The problem I am having with current headwriter Ron Carlivati's material is that he's basically redoing earlier storylines. They're just repeating Will & Sonny's courtship. And then there will be another wedding. He's not taking the characters in new directions. We know Will is going to remember he's gay (LOL) so the outcome will be predictable. They will conveniently gloss over the fact that Will started out straight and had a girlfriend when he was a teen (played by an earlier actor). And that he's actually bisexual.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Of course the audience is comprised mostly of straight women and gay men (straight men don't count LOL). 

The problem I am having with current headwriter Ron Carlivati's material is that he's basically redoing earlier storylines. They're just repeating Will & Sonny's courtship. And then there will be another wedding. He's not taking the characters in new directions. We know Will is going to remember he's gay (LOL) so the outcome will be predictable. They will conveniently gloss over the fact that Will started out straight and had a girlfriend when he was a teen (played by an earlier actor). And that he's actually bisexual.

As a teen, Will was confused - sexually.

But, after he was kissed by a young man, Neil (he was played by Jesse Kristoppherson), he came to realize that he was gay.

And, even though his girlfriend, Gabi, was pregnant, he could not commit to her.

But, after he married Sonny, Will wanted to bring little Ariana Grace into his life.

Chandler-Massey-and-Jesse-Kristofferson-

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rayban said:

As a teen, Will was confused - sexually.

But, after he was kissed by a young man (he was played by Kris Kristopher's son), he can to realize that he was gay.

And, even though his girlfriend, Gabi, was pregnant, he could not commit to her.

But, after he married Sonny, Will wanted to bring little Ariana Grace into his life.

I see it a bit different, Ray. He was originally straight. But then they decided to do a politically correct coming out story and thought they'd get more mileage from it being Sami's son, so they basically did a rewrite on Willi's orientation. In his episodes as a teen he was never confused UNTIL they decided to launch the coming out storyline and change his orientation.

The Gabi stuff was plot driven nonsense, because the only way they could convince producer Ken Corday to green light the story (with NBC's blessing) was if Will was still technically straight in some way and could still father a child in a natural heterosexual way. Otherwise Sonny would've been the one to father a child, or they would have had a child with a surrogate. With Gabi, they could ensure that the conception and birth was religiously correct.

They've made many compromises, rewritten Will's orientation and now this new plot is another rewrite but in a different way. The problem with American soaps, and fortunately the British soaps are more enlightened in this area, is that they want the characters to be either straight or gay. They can't cope with a character who sleeps regularly with both men and women.

In this case, they have made Will and Sonny into a poster couple, but still applied all the heteronormal soap conventions on them. It's just not at all representative of the issues real gay couples face, and leaving out the bisexual component of Will's character is ignorant on so many levels.

• Thanks 1

I think that you're forgetting that Will, in order to get Paul's story, for an expanded article, decided to sleep with Paul and, thus, was definitely unfaithful to Sonny and threw his marriage into jeopardy.

It was a difficult time for Will and Sonny.

Paul had been a former lover of Sonny's.

They were not a "goody-goody" couple.

The "Neil" kiss that brought Will out of the closet -

days-lives-gay-kiss_510.jpg&w=600&q=85

Paul is just another plot device and not a very good one (shoehorned into the drama as John's long lost son). 

Giving Will and Sonny a kid so quickly, through natural male-female sex, after Will had supposedly come out of the closet reversed any progressive aspects the tale might have originally had. Then the writers throw Paul into the mix when the couple becomes stagnant and gets "boring." So there is a triangle and the problems hetero couples typically have to deal with in regards to cheating.

How many young gay couples have kids when they've just started out, and are still kids themselves? The statistics would probably indicate less than 5%. And if they're going to cheat-- the ones I know cheat with a lot of other people because there's something missing in the relationship and there's no real monogamy involved. They'd be dumping the kid off at its mother's place. Then going off to venture into sex clubs, have sex together with other men, or do partner swapping because they put hedonistic pleasure above traditional domesticity.

But the writers of this soap opera can't show them in an open relationship. They can't go there with the storylines and make them promiscuous, so they just insert Paul into the plot and give us a formulaic triangle we've seen literally thousands of times on soaps with hetero couples. Then there's the bisexual angle which they don't know how to properly address. They can't have Will sleep with another female again, unless the goal is to produce another offspring. So Will & Sonny are stuck as a very cliched gay soap couple covering the same kind of ground the hetero couples do.

It's uninspired writing, trying to claim it's depicting issues that affect real gay men or active bisexuals, when nothing could be further from the truth. And they seem to get away with some of it. Especially when they put eye candy on the screen that dazzles the viewers. Dazzles them to the point they're fooled and can't tell this is just a very hollow meaningless story.

There's a lot one can say about British soap star Danny Walters. But it can all be boiled down into two words. HE'S HOT.

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 3.18.22 PM.png

Danny is 24, and he trained in musical theatre. But he ended up getting cast in a sitcom. So from 2014 until earlier this year he played a character named Tiger on ITV's hit series Benidorm. He wanted to stretch his acting muscle (and he has a lot of great muscle)-- so he switched over to the BBC where he was cast as Keanu Taylor on the venerable soap opera EastEnders.

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 3.24.59 PM.png

On EE he plays the son of Karen Taylor (Lorraine Stanley), a lower class woman on benefits who works hard at not working. When Keanu, Karen and Keanu's siblings were introduced in June, the boisterous family came into Albert Square with a set of stereotypical money-related problems. Danny's story didn't really take off until the end of the summer when his character graduated from a vocational college and couldn't find a job. Much to the viewers' delight, he began working as an escort.

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 3.18.49 PM.png

In the new storyline he would go on dates (with women) and take his clothes off, but he never had sex with any of them. This led gay fans to wonder (and hope and pray) that Keanu might turn out to be gay. That hasn't happened (yet). The writers do seem to be implying the character is a virgin, which seems like a novel idea on a soap. 

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 3.20.55 PM.png

In the five months he's been on EE, Danny has already received an award as Best Young Actor; and he's up for Best Newcomer and Sexiest Male. I'm sure he'll win Sexiest Male. In addition to his work on the soap, Danny has also been on the cover of GT (Gay Times), a popular British magazine, more than once.

Screen shot 2017-11-17 at 3.23.25 PM.png

And he's appeared as a model in an underwear campaign, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on the worth/value of the Will/Sonny/Paul gay storyline.

I'm new to soaps.

So "Days of Our Lives" gay content fascinates me.

Paul, the one man that Sonny Kiriakis never got over -

will-questions-paul-about-his-love-life-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on the worth/value of the Will/Sonny/Paul gay storyline.

I'm new to soaps.

So "Days of Our Lives" gay content fascinates me.

Paul, the one man that Sonny Kiriakis never got over -

will-questions-paul-about-his-love-life-

Yeah, I'm sorry Ray but I just find the whole execution of the Will/Sonny/Paul triangle confusing and clumsy, plus it's never felt really genuine (except for the wedding episodes which don't mean anything if they have to keep getting remarried all the time).

• Haha 1